Muzzy not so bad after all

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverbullet, did you hear anything from muzzys yet? are they repairing your pipes or replacing them?

I want to make sure they give everyone the same deal or i'll even be pissed more! :angry2:

I have not heard anything yet. I called last week and Dave said Rob Muzzy was out of town and should be back this week.

doesn't the lean angle have to be pretty severe for this pipe to scrape?
Just wondering if the "average joe" would get his FJR over far enough to have this issue?
I scrape my pegs up on every ride, and I'm an average Joe. The Muzzy pipe scrapes before the peg, ergo, average Joes would scrape this pipe.

I'm not in the market for pipes for my Feej, but if I were, this thread would have me looking at something besides Muzzy. Their first error was having little enough care to sell even one system that would touch before the pegs. How much design time could have gone into that? Their second error was the treatment they seem (have to hear how this works out) to be giving to their customers. Not good signs, IMO.

And?
Good as new? Replaced that section of pipe? What's different?
It looks new and is new. I hadn't even opened the original box before I sent it back for the modification {read about the clearance problem here}. I took the first look at it today, so have nothing to compare it with. I took the opportunity to have the quiet core installed in the can for $50. Workmanship appears first rate.

And?
It appears that a pipe section has been replaced, upon close inspection. Very neat job, though. I installed it yesterday and haven't had any scrapping problems so far. Saves a bunch of weight. As the PC3's aren't yet available for the '06's, I did the Barbarian mod and bumped 'em up 7 points. This is almost mandatory as it was boggingly lean on the low end after I installed the pipe. I dynoed my bike before removing the stock system @ 119.6 HP. I'll post after I get another reading with the Muzzy system {no Power Commander}.

Last edited by a moderator:
And?

It appears that a pipe section has been replaced, upon close inspection. Very neat job, though. I installed it yesterday and haven't had any scrapping problems so far. Saves a bunch of weight. As the PC3's aren't yet available for the '06's, I did the Barbarian mod and bumped 'em up 7 points. This is almost mandatory as it was boggingly lean on the low end after I installed the pipe. I dynoed my bike before removing the stock system @ 119.6 HP. I'll post after I get another reading with the Muzzy system {no Power Commander}.
Got the bike dynoed today. 126.3 HP.

And?

Got the bike dynoed today. 126.3 HP.
Are you going to do it again after you get a Power Commander?

It here is truely a 6-7 hp gain even without the PC-III, then this is pretty significant, IMO.

The PC-III will no doubt add some more ponies.... this mod is looking pretty attractive. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
It here is truely a 6-7 hp gain even without the PC-III, then this is pretty significant, IMO.
The PC-III will no doubt add some more ponies.... this mod is looking pretty attractive. B)
I'm sure the PC will improve all around throttle response but not sure if it will add much at WOT. The Muzzy headers have provision for the O2 sensor. I think the gain is pretty significant in light of the "quiet core" insert in the can. Dave at Muzzy told me it would cost some on the top end but add it in mid range. That's fine with me as the torque band is right where I like to cruise. Just roll it on rather than wring its neck for power. Even with the quiet core, its plenty loud enough for the neighbors. Anyway, installation was straight forward and a pefect fit. Just like downtown! I must say that the Holeshot system has the advantage of changing cans without removing the headers. From what I've read, they add about the same amount of HP as the Muzzy system.

I was curious what the "Muzzy" folks thought of their pipes now? Did anyone add a Power Commander yet? Would you purchase this again or go with a Holeshot?

Also, how quiet is the bike with the quiet core (when compared to stock)?

Inquisitive minds gotta know!

I'm sure the PC will improve all around throttle response but not sure if it will add much at WOT. The Muzzy headers have provision for the O2 sensor. I think the gain is pretty significant in light of the "quiet core" insert in the can. Dave at Muzzy told me it would cost some on the top end but add it in mid range. That's fine with me as the torque band is right where I like to cruise. Just roll it on rather than wring its neck for power. Even with the quiet core, its plenty loud enough for the neighbors. Anyway, installation was straight forward and a pefect fit. Just like downtown! I must say that the Holeshot system has the advantage of changing cans without removing the headers. From what I've read, they add about the same amount of HP as the Muzzy system.
I dynoed my AE today with the PC3 and new Muzzy MAP for the '06. Maxed out at 130 HP with gains throughout the rpm band. This is a gain of 10.4 HP over the stock system and 3.7 HP more than the Muzzy system without a PC. This is with the quiet core insert in the can {extra $50} which keeps the decibels fairly civil. I had to request the download for the '06 three times before they finally sent me the correct MAP. The first two times they sent a download for the '05 and earlier models, which wouldn't load into the PC. I talked to Dave and he got it straightened out. Third time was the charm.

T120TT said:

I dynoed my AE today with the PC3 and new Muzzy MAP for the '06. Maxed out at 130 HP with gains throughout the rpm band. This is a gain of 10.4 HP over the stock system and 3.7 HP more than the Muzzy system without a PC. This is with the quiet core insert in the can {extra $50} which keeps the decibels fairly civil. I had to request the download for the '06 three times before they finally sent me the correct MAP. The first two times they sent a download for the '05 and earlier models, which wouldn't load into the PC. I talked to Dave and he got it straightened out. Third time was the charm.
BTW, my revised Muzzy full system doesn't have any clearance problems and loses a bunch of weight.

Has anyone found out for sure whether Muzzy has fixed the drag problem? The gains are attractive but I do not want to get involved w/ a hassle of sending pipes back for retro fit. I'm going to e-mail Muzzy and ask as well.

First of all -- the title of this thread is what sucks... Muzzy supports this forum.

With any new model -- there is a learning curve -- until you get a product to the user, you can't properly evaluate the design.

Looks like Muzzy is doing just that, and standing behind their product.

I don't know about the full system, but Muzzy was re-tooling for the slip-on for the '06 as late as last month!

I've had zero problems with the newly tooled '06 slip-on. (post here)

First of all -- the title of this thread is what sucks... Muzzy supports this forum.
With any new model -- there is a learning curve -- until you get a product to the user, you can't properly evaluate the design.

I would have to concur with this assessment.

Thread title has been amended, and Admin note made in the initial post.

I don't know about the full system, but Muzzy was re-tooling for the slip-on for the '06 as late as last month!

I've had zero problems with the newly tooled '06 slip-on. (post here)
I still say Muzzy sucks!

After I notified them of my problem, Dave Turner said he would ship me out another pipe. He never did.

This was after I sent him the mid pipe that scraped and a invoice for $250.00 from Yoshimura for them to fix Muzzy's fuck up. Muzzy has done absolutely nothing for me.

Apparently they think it is OK to market a pipe with out properly testing it and then having a customer bring it to a competing exhaust manufacture to make it right.

During my conversations with Dave , I always remained civil untill at the very end when he said he would do nothing for me. I got pretty pissed off.

Maybe they took care of other customers but they didn't take care of me.

I have been meaning to post about this, but every time I think about this I get so fuckin pissed off that I want to take a ride over to Muzzy's headquarters and have a face to face confrontation!

Also,when I first brought this problem up, they were very condescending towards me. They implied that I was to heavy to ride, that I didn't know how to set up my suspension, and that I rode to aggressively.

I will never buy anything from Muzzy again.

They do not stand behind their product!

MUZZY SUCKS!

(post here)

This simply is not true.

There were no problems at with the Holeshot pipes. I am sure that Dale did his homework before marketing some piece of shit like Muzzy did.

I think the name of this thread should go back to Muzzy sucks.