My Avon Storms were terrible!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put on a new set of Storms last week and had the wobble (between 38mph to 52mph) instantly. Much worse below 41 psi (some serious headshake) to the point that Avon and my local dealer said not to ride the bike. If the tire is inflated over 41psi, the wobble is ever so slight so I am still riding.
Avon is going to replace the front tire under warranty, however, I was told the tire is on backorder. I worked with Keith Ost, Avon Motorcycle Customer Serive, and he instructed me to have my dealer call him to verify all the details (such as weight added at installation, front wheel installation process, DAT#, and rear wheel psi?) and once the tire is available, Avon is going to send the new tire directly to my dealer and they will take care of installation and they want the old one back for inspection. This is Keith's information:

Keith Ost

Avon Motorcycle Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Associates, Inc.

PO Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98036 USA

1-800-624-7470

I haven't given up on Avon because I really like their tires when compared to others I've used. With one phone call and two visits to my dealer, I should have a new front installed. Cumbersome yes, but not to the extent I want to give up on Avons!
I now am having my Storms replaced. I too worked with Keith and my dealer and everything seems to be going fine. Mine had balance "issues". 3 ozs. for the front tire and 4 ozs. for the rear. As soon as I get my tires in and installed I'll report back in.

Tom

My new front came in yesterday so I cut work short to get the bike to the dealer to install. At installation, the tire only needed 10 grams to balance and I had the dealer put 36 psi in the front since this created the "worst wobble condition" from my previous tire. First ride was much better than before but there was still a small amount of wobble in the 40-50 mph range. Small enough where I have no issues riding with this tire *at this time*. So today I will inflate up to 41 psi (couldn't do it yesterday because even after 2 hours of sitting the tire would not cool down - of course it was 99 degrees out!) and see if this doesn't take out the wobble completely.

BTW, Avon picked up the tab except for my gas and time.

More to come....

A few thots and questions here.....

Has anyone verified that indeed Avon has acknowledged and/or addressed a Q.C. issue and remedied it with the Storms??? Are current batches improved???

Of interest is that when the Araros first came out, there were problems (addressed) with the Q.C. on many of them. As well, Avons of old (1980's or so) were your bargain basement brand..., cheap and wore like iron. Also of interest, Avon rep. is based in Seattle Wa. area and so is the largest m.c. accessory shop, leading in tire sales/installation in the Seattle area. They choose not to promote Avon tires, having seen way too many problems on various bikes. He steers his customers, based on experience and local feedback, to other brands.

Why cannot a modernized manufacturer "get it right" and fail to catch quality/ lack of uniformity issues before the product is shipped ??? Molds, materials, workmanship, inadequate testing, hurried process??

(some or all of the above ??)

There appears to have been many fortunate folks here who got some good ones but......., no thanks ;)

that aside, my Diablo Stradas (E) are now done at 8,000 mi.. They are at the wear bars (which oddly, some can't seem to find) and just starting to "scuff up" on ctr. rr. tread, no cords showing but soon will be) they have done well. A call to Michellin an hour ago confirmed the new P.R. 2's will not be available in the U.S. 'till the end of the year. DARN !!! What to do..?!?! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a "progress" report on my second set of AVON Storms.

I have approximately 2500 miles on my new STORMS. So far very nice. I just got my new Yamaha trunk put on and I "thought" I detected a very, very slight deceleration wobble the other night. Along with a slight instability when coming down through triple digits. This is with the top trunk, side cases on. Since the trunk is a "new addition" since these Avon Storms, it might be the cause. I removed the trunk and detect no wobble at all.

As the front wears I anticipate a wobble to appear, but would be more than happy if it doesn't appear.

Love how the tires "fee" and handle this time. If these are like the first pair I would expect about 7-8 k miles for me.

Given all the problems with the Avons and the lack of "super" milage, I will probably try another brand next time.

However, I have had one of each. A bad experience (head shake, weird wear pattern on front) and a good one (0 headshake/wobble and so far excellent wear pattern on front. Starting to "flatten" out on the rear.).

LC

I have previously posted that I had a set of Avon Storms that had a bad front tire that wobbled. The dealer replaced that tire and other than some mild head-shake when decelerating I had no further problems with the tires when new.

I rode to the coast and back and have about 8,500 on the set. The front has gotten a bad wobble again which only "disappears" with speed. The wobble seems stronger on one side than the other on curves. The front tire looks ok but the back got pretty flat in the middle from the trip.

I am going to get a set of Pilots this weekend. For me the Avon's did not live up to the handling hype, they did hold up well on my trip but there's something up with that front tire IMHO.

I am baffled by what's going on with my Storms. Smooth as silk for 2K miles, then a little wobbly around 50 mph for 1K or so, then the wobble broadened from about 10 - 70 mph for about 1K miles, then back to only wobbly around 50 mph for the next 3K. ALWAYS smooth as silk on the corners at any speed, but the rear end steps out a lot more than the Azaros did when accelerating out of the corners. Never more than 1 pound of pressure difference between tire checks (42#R, 41.5#F) and I check them OFTEN. Lot more highway miles than normal, so the rear is at the wear bars at about 7K miles. Planning to flail them hard through some twisties to finish off the sidewall tread and then try a new brand (Pilot Roads per Uberkul).

I am baffled by what's going on with my Storms. Smooth as silk for 2K miles, then a little wobbly around 50 mph for 1K or so, then the wobble broadened from about 10 - 70 mph for about 1K miles, then back to only wobbly around 50 mph for the next 3K. ALWAYS smooth as silk on the corners at any speed, but the rear end steps out a lot more than the Azaros did when accelerating out of the corners. Never more than 1 pound of pressure difference between tire checks (42#R, 41.5#F) and I check them OFTEN. Lot more highway miles than normal, so the rear is at the wear bars at about 7K miles. Planning to flail them hard through some twisties to finish off the sidewall tread and then try a new brand (Pilot Roads per Uberkul).
Exactly.. They are soo close to having the perfect FJR tire.. quick and easy turn in, grip like velcroe.. then out of round conditions by more than 1/8", horrible shaking.. yet.. when they are good, the best tires I've EVER run on the FJR.. Here's hoping they can get some QC in the process..
In the meantime, it's PRoads for me.. not the best... but dependable, reliable, and ready to rock.. I hate to say this, as I really like the quick turn in and grip of the Storms.. but so looong for now Avon..

The Avon tires have worked well for me excepting the front Azaro wear pattern.

So mounted a front Storm and found it better than the old Azaro front.

But, with all the concerns about the Storms, I scurried around

and located another Azaro rear and mounted it when the rear needed replacing.

The combo Storm Front / Azaro rear works fine for me.

Have just received another Azaro rear, so I'm going with

Storm front, Azaro rear for the next 10,000 miles or so.

My problem with the Storms is a balance problem. Just waiting for Avon to send replacements. They are standing behind there tires. However, if the new PRoads 2 work out I might try them. I liked the PRoads I had on, but the Azaros were better.

Tom

There are so many Storm threads going I'm not sure the best place to add this. I don't have it exactly, but I got about 4000 miles out of the rear. Front still looks good. I have a Road Pilot on the back now (had to do it quick, quick).

Just installed Storms on my 05. Smooth as glass. The bike feels more nimble to ride. That could be from replacing bridgstones with 4700 miles on them. Because of the head shake problems mentioned in the forums, after I installed them I rode the bike up and down several hills level ground ect. Dexcelerating for 100 to 0, 50 to 0 ect, with hands off bars no woobles. And the over all handling is great, the tires seem to STICK to the road better than the bridgstones. But that justs my unprofessional opinion. Glad I did not sell them to those vultures at a loss!

Just installed Storms on my 05. Smooth as glass. The bike feels more nimble to ride. That could be from replacing bridgstones with 4700 miles on them. Because of the head shake problems mentioned in the forums, after I installed them I rode the bike up and down several hills level ground ect. Dexcelerating for 100 to 0, 50 to 0 ect, with hands off bars no woobles. And the over all handling is great, the tires seem to STICK to the road better than the bridgstones. But that justs my unprofessional opinion. Glad I did not sell them to those vultures at a loss!
Drat, our plan to con you out of your Avon Storms failed! :angry2:

LC

I just got my new Yamaha trunk put on and I "thought" I detected a very, very slight deceleration wobble the other night. Along with a slight instability when coming down through triple digits. This is with the top trunk, side cases on. Since the trunk is a "new addition" since these Avon Storms, it might be the cause. I removed the trunk and detect no wobble at all.LC
Last Chance,

I experienced this (over 80mph) with the top case on as well, with Pilot Roads. Some how the top case seems to interfere with the aerodymics a bit at higher speeds. Yamaha manual says don't go over 80mph with the cases!

When I firmed up the suspension settings, I don't experience the wandering/slight instability like I did before. This was confirmed with my last weekend 1000 mile trip with all the bags at speed. Perhaps this will help you...I don't think this effect is Tire related.

I just got my new Yamaha trunk put on and I "thought" I detected a very, very slight deceleration wobble the other night. Along with a slight instability when coming down through triple digits. This is with the top trunk, side cases on. Since the trunk is a "new addition" since these Avon Storms, it might be the cause. I removed the trunk and detect no wobble at all.LC
Last Chance,

I experienced this (over 80mph) with the top case on as well, with Pilot Roads. Some how the top case seems to interfere with the aerodynamics a bit at higher speeds. Yamaha manual says don't go over 80mph with the cases!

When I firmed up the suspension settings, I don't experience the wandering/slight instability like I did before. This was confirmed with my last weekend 1000 mile trip with all the bags at speed. Perhaps this will help you...I don't think this effect is Tire related.
I agree totally! :dribble: :dribble: Thanks for the information. I missed the part about not going over 80 mph with the Top Case on. Now I understand! :clapping:

Thanks, :clapping:

LC

Why not put a spoiler on the top case. If you can't ride over 80 whats the point. But isn't that breaking the federal mandated speed limit. By the way if anyone has some new Avon Storms ready to install you will hate then so let me buy them from you. I will pay $1.00 more the the highest bidder "Such A Deal".

3k miles so far and I am really impresssed with the wear of the front tire compared to the Azaro. Very even wear and no cupping....I had terrible issues with that on the Azaro.

As for the rear, I dunno....IMO, it seems to be wearing much faster than my Azaros did. I got ~7-8k out of each rear Azaro and this one is definitely flattning out quicker. With 18k miles I think I will need to replace my rear shock soon as the back end is getting very loose here recently....it sometime wallows like a bog old U-haul loaded with furniture.

Interesting! I suddenly have the 50-30 mph head shake! More severe than any before. 1st set of Metz OEM, slight head-shake. 1st set of Avon Storms, head shake which progressively worsened until just before I swapped them for WFO-6. At that point the head shake actually improved!

The second set of Avon Storms was rock solid at any speed, accelerating, decelerating or steady state. The only factor that has changed is the Top Case. I finished the 1st set of Storms and the first 3,000 miles of the second set without a Top Case, as it was cracked. On the way to work last night I set the cruise at 40 mph on the surface street and both hands from the handle bars to adjust my helmet and BAM, violent head shake that if I hadn't caught it would have certainly thrown me for a loss. Above 50 mph, very stable again, with both hands off.

I'll take the Top Case off tonight and see if it changes anything. Never a dull moment on a motorcycle, especially the FJR. ;)

LC

swmoto tires finaly replied to my avon storm complaint. i'm shipping the front back to them. the second front storm i put on is as good as any of the azaros i've had. i don't want to have to go through this nonsense again. as much as i like the avons, and assuming that they take care of me properly, i'll still have some thinking to do before i order them again.

could someone who knows how to post a poll, do one about favorite tires for the fjr?

thanks,

derek

Interesting! I suddenly have the 50-30 mph head shake! More severe than any before. 1st set of Metz OEM, slight head-shake. 1st set of Avon Storms, head shake which progressively worsened until just before I swapped them for WFO-6. At that point the head shake actually improved!
The second set of Avon Storms was rock solid at any speed, accelerating, decelerating or steady state. The only factor that has changed is the Top Case. I finished the 1st set of Storms and the first 3,000 miles of the second set without a Top Case, as it was cracked. On the way to work last night I set the cruise at 40 mph on the surface street and both hands from the handle bars to adjust my helmet and BAM, violent head shake that if I hadn't caught it would have certainly thrown me for a loss. Above 50 mph, very stable again, with both hands off.

I'll take the Top Case off tonight and see if it changes anything. Never a dull moment on a motorcycle, especially the FJR. ;)

LC
Took the Top Case off and no wobble with the storms. 30-80 solid, hands off stability. I don't think the Storms are/were a factor. Couldn't be that much aerodynamic drag at 30 mph, so I think it is a weight distribution problem at low speeds. triple-digits, aerodynamics probably a factor. Seems the Avons can be either real good or real bad. This set, I like!

LC

swmoto tires finaly replied to my avon storm complaint. i'm shipping the front back to them. the second front storm i put on is as good as any of the azaros i've had. i don't want to have to go through this nonsense again.
I hear ya. My replacement is arriving Monday, but not having my bike for three weeks while working on getting a replacement tire wasn't worth it. I should have just eaten the price of new one.