My first FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new here. Just picked up a 2008 FJR and I think I like it so far.
I have a 2008 with 15k Miles. I have added the rear brake light flasher with LED brake lights, a phone mount and frame sliders. I did cut the rear fender but made it so I can reattach it if needed.
When I got the bike it needed new tires, new brakes and fork seals. I got all the fluids done and drive line service. The Dealer didn't tell me about anything else that needed to be done.
Things to be done, new headlights probably LEDS of some kind, new seat (the stock seat sucks) and I need a trunk bag mount.
It has some issues that I have not figured out yet.
I did have a 2003 Bandit and love the sound and power of that bike. This bike doesn't seem as fast, I think that is due to it being quiet and not wanting to lift the front tire off the ground at the blip of the throttle like the Bandit does. That's all I can think to mention right now.

Last edited:
I have similar year. Advise 42 psi front and back tyres🇬🇧at first to get used to the 'feel' of the beast.
Don't touch the front brake if a slight turn even with abs.especially at slow pace with a turn.
If the front is spongy when breaking hard at walking space turn down the fork adjuster at top of each fork leg a full turn or a bit more.
Don't be afraid of revving the engine it'll like it especially for a fast acceleration have it at 4000rpm+.
I wish i'd been told these advisories when I first sat on my fjr😀👍

Last edited:
Details? Miles, farkles etc?

Welcome from Eastern Canada (New Brunswick)
I have added nothing to it so far. The bike has 15k on it and was in rough shape when I got it. I put new new tires on it, changed the front brakes, flushed the system, did drive line maintenance and cleaned it really well. Some of the plastics need repair and paint. I will post pictures soon.

Ah! You like to get your hands dirty! You’ll fit right in here.
Just don’t get TOO discouraged if it doesn’t need much TLC to keep it on the go. These things are reliable. 👍🏼

IF the areas that need paint can be wrapped its a great option for making it your own. Gives you a world of different colors and style
I have added nothing to it so far. The bike has 15k on it and was in rough shape when I got it. I put new new tires on it, changed the front brakes, flushed the system, did drive line maintenance and cleaned it really well. Some of the plastics need repair and paint. I will post pictures soon.

I have a 2008 with 15k Miles. I have added the rear brake light flasher with LED brake lights, a phone mount and frame sliders. I did cut the rear fender but made it so I can reattach it if needed.
When I got the bike it needed new tires, new brakes and fork seals. I got all the fluids done and drive line service. The Dealer didn't tell me about anything else that needed to be done.
Things to be done, new headlights probably LEDS of some kind, new seat (the stock seat sucks) and I need a trunk bag mount.
It has some issues that I have not figured out yet.
I did have a 2003 Bandit and love the sound and power of that bike. This bike doesn't seem as fast, I think that is due to it being quiet and not wanting to lift the front tire off the ground at the blip of the throttle like the Bandit does. That's all I can think to mention right now.
Send your ECU to Ivan. That is probably one of the best things you can do to a 08 FJR.

Welcome................ I have a 2008 AE. If you have not done so, run your vin# in the YAMAHA RECALL site to see if the #4 ground connector mod was done and new ignition switch. Also with gas tank raised up look at the CCT and look for a Blue or Green color dot on the top of the casting. The redesigned CCT in early 2009 with stiffer plunger spring needs to be installed. No rush on yours with such low mileage. We replaced mine at 43,000 miles and checked valve clearances.