my first pergola

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I built the fence for this fellow and then he hounded me to build him a pergola. I do fences, Build me a Pergola, I do fences, Etc and so on. Obviously I gave in.

S6300227.jpg

S6300228.jpg

The span is 21 feet by 10 by 10.

My wife did not like my mixxing of red cedar with pine. I liked it

It rained on us the whole freaken time

posts are 6x6, banding boards (cedar) are TRUE 2x6 and the tops are 2x8.

you can't tell in the pics but all cedar bands are doubled on both sides of the 6x6

I had to buy a new jigsaw to do the job. The old one burnt up after 10 cuts or so.

$170 milwaukee cuts like buttur. $50 skill cuts like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good!

I'm planning one of these myself this winter for spring install. Similar in rough shape I'm going with a 23'x14' section of concrete and will be attaching one side to the house via header. Fortunately, I already set post anchors in the concrete and will probably go with a 2"x8" header and 2"x6" joists with 2"x2" stringers.

Looks good!
I'm planning one of these myself this winter for spring install. Similar in rough shape I'm going with a 23'x14' section of concrete and will be attaching one side to the house via header. Fortunately, I already set post anchors in the concrete and will probably go with a 2"x8" header and 2"x6" joists with 2"x2" stringers.
Good luck on that 24 foot pc of lumber you will need. This 21 foot liked to kill me at $100 per pc. over 20 is HARD to find. I lucked out on a local good 'ole boy with a sawmill.

The owner insisted on no center beam.

the design is cut on the brick side as well, I will NOT attach to a house. to much liability for me. YOU gave me termites/bugs. I just avoid it all together.

Iggy just an FYI. material cost minus a new jig was $850 or so.

Good luck on that 24 foot pc of lumber you will need. This 21 foot liked to kill me at $100 per pc. over 20 is HARD to find. I lucked out on a local good 'ole boy with a sawmill.
I'm using a center beam. I'll end up using two 14' headers with a bit of overhang and probably saw an interlock detail on the center post to look a bit more Craftsman.

Having the FJR and powdercoater might be a bonus as I'm planning on at least powdercoating the fasteners. ;)

I'm using a center beam. I'll end up using two 14' headers with a bit of overhang and probably saw an interlock detail on the center post to look a bit more Craftsman.

Having the FJR and powdercoater might be a bonus as I'm planning on at least powdercoating the fasteners. ;)

I think this whole pergola thing is just west coast frivolousness.

What's the purpose, eggs-zactly? Whole lotta money spent for no damn benefit if you ask me.

But I'm just a cheap-ass yankee curmudgeon... :glare:

Now show me a good 3 season porch and we're in business...

Those west coast Alabamans are a bunch of assholes if you ask me. ;)

Fencer, I hear you on the jigsaw, burned my Skil up too. Even with a good jigsaw those cuts must have took some time!

What's the purpose, eggs-zactly? Whole lotta money spent for no damn benefit if you ask me.
But I'm just a cheap-ass yankee curmudgeon... :glare:

Now show me a good 3 season porch and we're in business...
I would say it is very much regional. 90% of the reason I'm doing it is for shade during the hot summer. Shade for a southern exposure of the house and to sit out in the evening.

Building a porches would also be more expensive and not a common design features around here. We don't need rain protection as rainfall is less than 1" from the late spring to early fall and screens aren't that necessary because we don't have that many critters flying around that want to bite you. Screens also hurt the view out over the vistas of sweeping shrub-steppe and grape vineyards.

Those west coast Alabamans are a bunch of assholes if you ask me. ;)
Gee thanks for pointing that out. I really wondered what the AL stood for.

The pergola, which had its origins over in Yurop took favor with designers in the Youess in the craftsman period of architecture, which was heavily favored and concentrated on the left coast.

Oh, and we do have lotsa flyin' critters up hea-yah. You want to sleep out on the porch, those fancy studs aren't gonna be no help at all.

Fencer, I hear you on the jigsaw, burned my Skil up too. Even with a good jigsaw those cuts must have took some time!
The Skil was taking about 3-4 min per cut. The Milwaukee was taking about 15 seconds!!!!!!!!

My Cust was a Lebanese fellow. he was gonna grow vines over the thing

The Milwaukee was taking about 15 seconds!!!!!!!!
15 seconds! Pretty sure my DeWalt wouldn't do it that quick, sounds like a keeper.

And Fred, replying to a wiseass remark with a well-thought intelligent answer just isn't right. Please stop.

We built ours for the same reason as Iggy, to help create a little shade but without covering it completely. Also to break up the huge back-side of the house. It's about 12'x20', posts are set in metal Strong-Tie holders in concrete under the paving stones. Posts are 6x6, joists are 2x8 and 2x6 on top, all cedar ($$$). You can't see it in the pictures but there's low-voltage lights in each corner, and water lines off the timed sprinkler system for hanging baskets. The lines run up one of the posts. Notice the little tiny screws that attach the 2x8's to the posts. I had to ask the builder why he wasn't using big bolts...he claims the little screws are the latest/greatest high-tensile goods made just for this application.

I'd love to say I built it myself, but the contractor that did the rest of the backyard (pavers, wall, landscaping, drip irrigation) also built the pergola. We did work the design out together. I was lucky to find the guy, on Craigslist no less. If you're in Portland and need help CLICKY.

Pictures:

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

them things there need decking, shingles, sheathing, doors , windows and need to be about 3000 sq. ft. bigger

but what do i know, i only sell building materials :D

If the joists placed east-west and are tipped for the winter sun angle, you get the warm sun in the winter and nice shade in the summer :beach:

I would say it is very much regional. 90% of the reason I'm doing it is for shade during the hot summer. Shade for a southern exposure of the house and to sit out in the evening.

Pictures:
IMG_1067.JPG
While the pergola might be nice with a dadoed inset channel for the planks to set in (I wasn't gonna do that for the price I did) he straight cut the ends, no jig needed.

Your fence needs attention IMHO. Two stringers is a no-no. you will get warping in the planks even with cedar. He used z-hangers for the stringers. Adding a 3rd would be easy for you to do. Also, he is too far down from the top. Too much unsupported plank. They'll prob get all wiggly. I do a 8 inch top and bottom then center the third stringer.

While the pergola might be nice with a dadoed inset channel for the planks to set in (I wasn't gonna do that for the price I did) he straight cut the ends, no jig needed.
Your fence needs attention IMHO. Two stringers is a no-no. you will get warping in the planks even with cedar. He used z-hangers for the stringers. Adding a 3rd would be easy for you to do. Also, he is too far down from the top. Too much unsupported plank. They'll prob get all wiggly. I do a 8 inch top and bottom then center the third stringer.
Too bad, so sad for me it was a different contractor on the fence. Cheap price, cheap work. Said he was going to use all #1 boards but got a mix of crap in with them. We had the fence put up right after we built the house, didn't do the rest of the backyard until almost 4 years later (too busy riding, wanted to do it right). The contractor on the pergola even routed the edges on EVERY board on the thing. He's a real craftsman.