MY FJR IS KILLING ME !!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SebringSilver

Reaction score
You all told me about the “grin” I would have after getting my FJR; you failed to tell me about the FJR ”grimace”.

I have had my “06 AE for exactly 5 days. I have about 100 miles now, mostly errands, and lots of parking lot practice and I commuted to work today for the first time. Also a few beautiful runs through Atlanta’s tree lined side streets.

But my thighs and groin are killing me! This seat seems so freaking wide...and what is there about 20 gallons in this huge tank between my legs?!? I feel like I’ve gone to a Dude Ranch and I got the fat horse. I am in pretty good shape; I walk four miles on a treadmill 3 times a week, my job isn’t sedentary, I stretch like crazy before I ride, but I’m dying here. I hurt so bad; it is affecting my ability to handle the bike. It’s so painful to put my leg down at a Stop sign that I try to do anything to avoid putting my foot down.

How long before my thighs get used to this seat and any suggestions of riding style that might help? Are other aftermarket seats narrower? Any exercises you can recommend? Did this happen to you? Am I just a pussy?

I’m sure my stop and go city driving doesn’t help, and the fact that I’m just learning this machine and I’m still a bit tense, but I love this bike too much to stay off for long.

Suggestions greatly appreciated;

Advil required………….

Last edited by a moderator:
:unsure: maybe the bits on top of the seat need to be checked...try a different seating position unless your inseam is only 26" I don't see how anything besides seating position or your explanation could be causing this problem.

Pussy.Suck it up!

Just kidding. If you haven't been riding for a while then maybe you are using new muscles. It might take a week or two to get used to it. Is the seat stock? I know when I start riding for the season it's sometimes a little uncomfortable until I get used to it.

Rob

ps go out and get your Iron Butt association number now.

Sorry, but more than a few learn right off the bat that the seat sucks.

I have a Sargeant, but would have paid for the Russell using the group buy that pops up every winter.

All my bikes have Airhawk Air Pads as I have very delicate cheeks.

Just my 1.5 cents...time for ya to research seats and all the great info here.

Cheers, let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Try riding closer to the tank where the seat is the narrowest. What type of riding pants do you wear? Perhaps they aren't giving you a wide enough straddle (no comments from the peanut gallery, tyvm). I know when I switched from leather to textile, the more flexible fabric gave me about another 1" of leg length on the Trohpy.

Other than that, time for a new seat (the bike not yours)! B)

Try relaxing your legs when you ride. Many people get a new bike and are nervous while first riding it. They clinch their legs tightly against the bike while riding and end up with very sore legs. The last person I knew who did this had an accident due to being so tense and not being able to react to a vehicle. Be careful and get comfortable on the bike before you change anything.

Am I just a pussy?
I’m sure my stop and go city driving doesn’t help, and the fact that I’m just learning this machine and I’m still a bit tense,

Suggestions greatly appreciated;

Advil required………….

Yes and relax... You control the machine.

Screw you guys!

eric_cartman_southpark.gif

It's Friday!!!!

:yahoo:

:jester:

"I have had my “06 AE for exactly 5 days. I have about 100 miles now..."

I would give your body and muscle groups more time to get acustomed to your new ride before I did anything to it.

I have found that if I wear my normal jeans on a ride, it was very uncomfortable to ride in them.

I bought a pair of jeans that were 2 inches longer in the legs and it removed the uh, "discomfort"... :blink:

(I know, I know, but jeans are better than shorts for now, $$$ tight)

My .02 cents...

Something is definately amiss. I can't think of a bike I've ever riden that caused me that much discomfort in 100 miles in one day, much less spread out over 5. While the stock seat a'int great, I can't see it hurting you that bad in that few miles without some sort of existing physical problem. That doesn't sound like the case here, so I'm going with the tension factor mentioned by some others.

I just finished 3 consecutive FIVE HUNDRED MILE days.... on a stock seat. Just build up slowly and relax. To be totally honest though... I'll buy a Russell before I try a long multi-day trip again.

Try relaxing your legs when you ride. Many people get a new bike and are nervous while first riding it. They clinch their legs tightly against the bike while riding and end up with very sore legs. The last person I knew who did this had an accident due to being so tense and not being able to react to a vehicle. Be careful and get comfortable on the bike before you change anything.
+1

I'm a short fart, 5'7" with 30" inseam. I've got the same bike as you, with the stock seat also. I find it more comfortable than a couple of the aftermarket seats I've tried.

I suspect something in your ergos is causing you pain. If you've tried scooting farther down, where it's narrowest, perhaps you could try getting your knees as high as possible. While riding in a straight line, if you extend your toes, raising your knees, does this give any relief? What about if you dangle your legs, with your feet off the pavement? Have you tried sitting all way back, so that the pressure points are moved to different spots on your legs? Just shooting in the dark here...

Good Luck...

5'6" 150 lbs here and hadn`t rode in over 15 years and no problems on my `08. I`d almost bet you have a Russell seat, need pics, or you could search the net of the different types to determine which is yours. If you`re on the short side like me, I would think the Russell( a wider custom seat) would be hard to deal with in local trips, longer trips and you would love it. I have no experience here except what`s been posted around here. If that`s the case, there are plenty of folks that would trade, maybe with them throwing in a little cash also. Post some pics if you can.

If that's you in your avatar, then I'm afraid you and your groin are doomed to be uncomfortable on the FJR! :haha:

How a bike fits the rider is a very individual thing. When I picked up mine, I flew to Washington D.C in the morning and rode the bike 550 miles back to Michigan on the same day. I found the FJR to be very comfortable for me and I've never changed from the OEM seat. The previous owner had installed HeliBars HRT so the riding position is a bit more upright than stock and that may have made the bike a bit more comfortable.

Gotta be something your doing wrong. RELAX, RELAX, RELAX. but then again your in Atlanta. There's got to be more to this story. Something your not telling us. Granted the 08's supposedly have better stock seats.

Have you ridden anything else before?

Last edited by a moderator: