My FJR math just doesn't add up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, John?

Why would you sell something that can go really fast, gets really good gas mileage, and is really fun to operate?

John, you know you'd be missed, ... on the road, ... and on this forum.

Keep the bike. It might come in handy.

There.

It's settled.

John is keeping the FJR and he and Kathy will join us in Sparks in a couple of weeks.

And he will be buying everyone two three beers, ...for having put us through this scare.

biggrin.png
Sure glad that got settled. I'll takes Becks NA please.
+1, Gunny; Old Michael and Papa Chuy will take a Guinness, a Smithwicks, a Harp, an O'Hara's, a Murphy's, a Porterhouse, a Beamish, a Kilkenny, a…..

https://nj1015.com/top-10-most-popular-irish-beers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well folks, lots of great advice and pearls of wisdom offered in the above responses. I'm going to have to sell her anyway as OM has me buying rounds of booze for everyone west of the Pecos so I figure the bike sale will just about cover the bar tab.

Seriously, one of the abstracts to the math problem I've mentioned is that my best friend of 50 years (think twin brothers, from another mother type friend), is battling bone marrow cancer. He's in need now and I'm trying to spend as much time as possible supporting him and keeping both our spirits up in his battle. He is the one I've ridden with the most as we've been riding dirt bikes together since age 9. Both of our families grew up together around dirt bikes with our kids joining in as they were of age. We've done many trips to the Mojave Desert with the kids, riding bikes and having Thanksgiving dinner on a folding table in the middle of the desert, so riding is truly a family affair. This hits really close to home as like I said, he's a brother to me and now he can't do the things he really loves to do. I'm still getting a dual sport to use when I can, but the FJR is just not in the cards with all the other distractions so she's going to go. Again, I appreciate all the sentiments and suggestions about keeping it, but it just needs to be so you'll see an ad in the very near future. Again, thanks to you all and please say a prayer for my bro.

John, I get it, I understand.

It's your life, your wants, your needs, your desires.

Ride/Drive what you want, when you want.

Dirt, street, motobike/Jeep, who cares?

... here's the point ---> you have made many friends here....

and most of us just want to stay in touch from time to time.

The platform is irrelevant.

The friendships are <hopefully> long term..

Oh, and just case you ditch us forever...

Hugs n' Kisses

:fuck:

flirt.gif

ps - I know where you live and feel free to drop in any time... so be ready!
punk.gif

Hi John,

After numerous hours of FJR research I finally just joined the Forum today. Given there can't possibly be too many Johns in that area who are into Jeeps and dirt bikes as well as FJRs, I think it's fair to assume I'll be the one taking the reigns of your trusty FJR. Reading through this thread this seems like a really great community of passionate riders whom I look forward to meeting as time rolls on. My prayers are with your brother from another mother for a speedy recovery. Hopefully our paths will continue to cross in the future and you'll always be more than welcome to take the FJR out for a spin when they do
smile.png

Cheers!

Thanks for the invite Bugnatr, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to that particular gathering. Though hopefully my own "boss" and I will be able to make it to one sooner rather than later!

Thanks for the invite Bugnatr, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to that particular gathering. Though hopefully my own "boss" and I will be able to make it to one sooner rather than later!
Next one in the west is the Reuben Run in central Oregon. Great roads,food and folks.

Epilogue - Today started out with a break in ride on this.

BetaRH_zps8876ffbb.jpg

And actually got my sexy little Italian a little dirty.

BetaRR_zps0b902601.jpg

Then I allowed the two to say goodbye although they'd only shared a bunk for a couple of nights together.

FJR-Beta_zps2041ac50.jpg

After putting the Beta away, I rode the FJR down to Modesto and sold her to Toothlessdr4gon. I know my FJR went to a good home and I was told I have visitation rights so it's still possible to feel that smooth power again sometime down the road. Sad to say it was my last day riding my baby, but now I have a new one to play with. Now I can ride the great roads around here and when they end, I'll keep on going...........

Glad you're happy with the change, John, but I'm still in a state of disbelief. Seems like the end of an era or like one or both of us must be getting old.

Toothless Dragon got a hell of a motorcycle for short $$.

Neat new bike there. Which model is that one?

From my own experience, I'll predict that getting to the dirt trails and good enduro riding areas is going to be fairly painful for you if it is more than about an hour. I'm guessing that you'll be looking for a good trailer / tow vehicle setup next? :unsure:

Neat new bike there. Which model is that one?
From my own experience, I'll predict that getting to the dirt trails and good enduro riding areas is going to be fairly painful for you if it is more than about an hour. I'm guessing that you'll be looking for a good trailer / tow vehicle setup next?
unsure.png
Fred,

It is a 2014 Beta 520RS. I live in riding Nirvana, both paved and unpaved. I've done all the paved roads within a 100 mile radius to include the Little Dragon, Old Priest Grade, Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, Monitor and Kit Carson passes many, many times. For new challenges, I've yet to explore many of the plentiful dirt roads/trails that are in my area so I can ride the Beta to a lot of them. I have a "Tilt-a-rack" carrier https://www.tilt-a-rack.com/tilt-a-rack-610acr/ that works well on the back of our truck camper when traveling so I can take the little red rocket with us.

Cool!! Best of luck with it. I envy you having good riding places close by.

That is the bike that Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda are all missing from their line-ups. The euro brands (KTM, Beta, Husky, etc.) are selling as many of these middleweights as they can make. Closest is the Suzuki DRZ400, but it's a bit portly for the tame engine. I would love to see a street legal WR500 or 550, similar to the current WR250R but with the added torque of more displacement. Those little Two Fiddys are for kids. These are more of an old, fat man's play bike... ;)

Cool!! Best of luck with it. I envy you having good riding places close by.
That is the bike that Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda are all missing from their line-ups. The euro brands (KTM, Beta, Husky, etc.) are selling as many of these middleweights as they can make. Closest is the Suzuki DRZ400, but it's a bit portly for the tame engine. I would love to see a street legal WR500 or 550, similar to the current WR250R but with the added torque of more displacement. Those little Two Fiddys are for kids. These are more of an old, fat man's play bike...
wink.png
I'd settle for the WR450R. No need for Yamaha to do anything other than put lights and a horn on their existing bike. I know it isn't really that simple, but if they can do it with the 250, they should be able to do it with the 450. There are enough people asking for one at this point that I just don't understand why they don't do it.

That beta is a very nice bike, but it is expensive and the dealer network is even more sparse than KTM around here.