My FJR math just doesn't add up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
My FJR Math, just doesn’t add up.

After much consternation, I’ve decided to put my baby up for sale. I bought her new in Oct. 05’, took delivery with “0” miles and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of the 57,000+ miles I’ve put on her. She took me through some challenging conditions, did my Iron Butt on her (actually on a Rick Mayer seat) and took the Mrs. and me, 4,000 miles to Canada and back. The reason for the sale is that my FJR math just isn’t adding up. Last year the Mrs. and I purchased a Truck Camper and have been using the heck out of it, spending lots of quality time with the kids and their kids. While that is a great use of our time, riding the FJR keeps getting pushed back so often that it barely got 2,000 miles of use for each of the last two years and precious little planned for the future. This fact in itself makes me cringe because this precision machine was built to be ridden often but, alas my steed sits on a battery tender under cover.

My plans include purchasing a Beta 520RS dual sport and we’re thinking about a jeep to pull behind the camper when the dual sport isn’t occupying the rear bumper. So I’ll be doing time in the dirt on a 2 or 4 wheeler, but not much on the pavement. Sadly, all this doesn’t add up to include the FJR, which kills me as it’s the only brand new bike I’ve ever owned and it’s been absolutely perfect as the “sport bike with hard bags” I always wanted.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that when I upgraded my phone recently, I have a ton of phone contacts with FJR somewhere in the listing along with the associated screen name. Of these listings, all have the person’s actual name as well since we’d become friends. So much so that I don’t stammer for their name when at a gathering because, although we’d originally met as “Hi I’m John, CAJW on the board, what’s your handle and your real name is?” I now know them on sight by name without needing name tags.

Fact is, the folks I have ridden with are great people sharing a passion for a sport and bike in particular that was almost perfectly designed for this thing we call sport touring. Whatever you call it, it’s been an absolute blast, whether its riding all 4 Sierra Passes in one day with a small group of great guys, traveling to Canada and back or meeting up for lunch to honor an old phart (you know who your are OM). It has been a real pleasure and honor to meet you guys and gals and I feel blessed to know each and every one of you.

Kathy and I have talked about it and we still want to make it to some of the gatherings, albeit probably in a Jeep, but then we can carry the beer, right? Anyway, it’s been fun and were moving on to another stage in life (trying to semi-retire) and enjoying every moment. Remember, nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow, live life to the fullest and it comforts me to know most of you on this board do just that. My hats off to a great group of folks, ya’ll take care!

John & Kathy (CAJW)

Some of the great times I've shared with the "Boss", the bike and many of you here.

Me and the "Boss" at the "Rim of the World" vista point, Hwy 120. (2008)
JK11-16-08006.jpg

4 Pass Ride (Olmstead Point, Hwy 120)

4Pass2010007.jpg

IBA ride (June 2006 with Toecutter)

Ironbutt6-5-07003.jpg

Leaving Yreka for Fortuna (Mike, Ray, Brad & Christy) Oct. 09'

NorCal10-17-09009.jpg

FODS 2012

DeathValleyMar2012063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with wherever you venture. I agree with every word about the experiences with the bike and the people we have met from this community.

John,

I'm going to try and talk you out of this move to get rid of your FJR... Your '05 has been well broken in now and, though probably runs like a top, it is a 10 year old bike with more miles on it than many (most?) motorcycle riders (other FJR owners excepted of course) would dream of riding in a lifetime.

In essence, that bike is fully depreciated at this point and will not be changing very much in value as time goes on. So, you really aren't losing much there. The cost to keep the bike insured is probably a tank or two of fuel on your RV rig, not all that much. And though you may think the bike is going to waste just sitting there, you never know when you'll get that itch to see the other side of the continent in only a couple of weeks time.

I do know what you are feeling, as I have had shifting priorities in the past couple of years and find myself jumping onto the Vstrom for tooling around New Hampshire rough (and dirt) back roads. But getting back onto the FJR for a bit longer romp always puts a smile on my face and helps me remember why I think it is the best street motorcycle I've ever owned. The thing for me is, I know that I could never get as much for it as my FJR ius worth to me, whether it gets ridden all the time or not.

The people you meet around FJRs, yeah they are all pretty cool folks, but I'm sure that other out-going groups (like maybe that RV'ing crowd) have similar good times and fun get togethers too. Having something unique in common always seems to bring out the best in folks as a group. Hope you stick around.

Math is a lot like statistics: It all depends on how you look at them.

(PS - My son still has our old VFR800. It's in the same financial situation. ;-) )

Kathy and I have talked about it and we still want to make it to some of the gatherings, albeit probably in a Jeep, but then we can carry the beer, right? Anyway, it’s been fun and were moving on to another stage in life (trying to semi-retire) and enjoying every moment. Remember, nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow, live life to the fullest and it comforts me to know most of you on this board do just that. My hats off to a great group of folks, ya’ll take care!
John & Kathy (CAJW)
I like Fred's suggestion... if it's not a huge financial burden and there's still room in the garage, keep it for those moments when you just need to blow off the stink, even if just a short ride. Priorities change and it sounds like you'll still be enjoying life in different ways which is never wrong.

If you do decide to go ahead and sell the bike, you know that you are always welcome to the events... while the bike brought you together, the friendships go beyond that and it doesn't matter how you get there... just get there. They'll let just about anybody show up on anything! ;) B)

I don't remember if we've ever met, but I understand your thinking.

Maybe your other machines will fill the void. If you do sell the FJR, you can always buy another one if you decide you really need one.

When I think of all the poor S.O.B.s who live in Florida, or Kansas, or freaking Manitoba who'd kill to live near the roads near you, John. . .

But if you do give it up, for sure show up once in a while anyway. Now, what should I tell my buddy who's thinking about getting an FJR?

I think it's a dumb idea. you have it and it's paid for and for what you could get for it pays for itself in smiles and good times when it gets used. My 03 doesn't see much use since I got the wing and I really want another KLR but when I do ride it the smiles are still there. Keep it,
punk.gif

John, John,John,

First of all, I didn't actually see any math equations, so, as usual I'm confused.

Secondly, I second Fred W's thoughts.(now you definitely know I'm confused)

Thirdly(is that even a word?), I second those who asked that you not be a stranger.

See you in Sparks?

Mark

John, John,John,
First of all, I didn't actually see any math equations, so, as usual I'm confused.

Thirdly(is that even a word?), I second those who asked that you not be a stranger.

See you in Sparks?

Mark
+1, Gunny; besides the great reasons listed above by Bokerfork you'll miss any more opportunities to "spoon" with Marky-Mark at future FJR Forum Events, Old Michael has the photographs! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

John,

Whether you keep her or not, you will always be part of the crew I remember chasing exskibum on Skaggs Springs Road one sunny day in May a few years back. It was nice to meet you and wifey on that ride back in 2011...but like many on this Forum...once you meet you become friends for life.

From where I sit in South Carolina, I just ask that you don't fade away...whether you keep your FJR or not. If wifey and I do a Fly and Ride out there in the future, you still have to show us around the Sierras...you are still bound to that. Don't think that selling your FJR gets you out of that, Mister.

:D

Cheers!

John, John,John,

See you in Sparks?

Mark
Ditto all the above John (except I'm not confused
rolleyes.gif
), but, if you do decide to sell, I'm pretty sure Bluestreak (Steve) needs a ride
smile.png

And most certainly you should make the bike meets - in yer Jeep or whatever.

When I think of all the poor S.O.B.s who live in Florida... who'd kill to live near the roads...
Just finished a trip up to NC and Tail of Dragon. Not only hatin' Fla. roads, but the heat as well. No fun ridin' most of the day this time of year. Miserable hot outside. The FJR spends a lot of days in the garage in the summers...

I have had these thoughts before also, and like you, bought it new in 2005.

I had a hard time making logic of holding onto a vehicle and buying another since you can only use one at a time. HOWEVER, Being that the value of a short ride outweighs the monetary value of selling it.

Keep it. Drop the insurance to liability,or even drop insurance altogether and store it for a while. It won't cost you a dime to store it. :)

Saying the same thing John, keep the FJR and sleep (for awhile) on it. Next year it'll be worth roughly the same thing that it's worth today.

Lots of good peeps here who've become friends due to this machine we call an FJR. Don't be disappearing on us, K?!?

--G

Brother John, I have put on thousands of miles on the open road with you in California and I truly hope you will sleep on this decision for a month before you pull the trigger on selling your FJR!

One of the best FJR Group Events we went on together was when Mark - WheatonFJR and Karl - airboss rode out to CA and we showed them our favorite twisty roads. Memory will never die!

You know I subscribe to the Steve McQueen Motto: "He who dies with the most motorcycles wins!" Knock your insurance down to basic CA coverage and keeping your FJR makes sense to me!

John & Kathy: If you do sell your FJR and you find yourselves missing a long road ride, you know I'll ride South into Mexico at the drop of a Sombrero mi Compadre. Miss Donna and I'll ride our BMW K1600GT and you two can ride our FJR to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos! Suerte! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

Really, John?

Why would you sell something that can go really fast, gets really good gas mileage, and is really fun to operate?

John, you know you'd be missed, ... on the road, ... and on this forum.

Keep the bike. It might come in handy.

There.

It's settled.

John is keeping the FJR and he and Kathy will join us in Sparks in a couple of weeks.

And he will be buying everyone two three beers, ...for having put us through this scare.

biggrin.png

Really, John?Why would you sell something that can go really fast, gets really good gas mileage, and is really fun to operate?

John, you know you'd be missed, ... on the road, ... and on this forum.

Keep the bike. It might come in handy.

There.

It's settled.

John is keeping the FJR and he and Kathy will join us in Sparks in a couple of weeks.

And he will be buying everyone two three beers, ...for having put us through this scare.

:D
Sure glad that got settled. I'll takes Becks NA please.