My FJR might be short lived

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The VStroms are at the top of my list if the FJR doesn't work out for me. I'm not sure if I would go with the 650 or 1000 though. I like the economy of the 650 and the motor of the 1000. For my size the 1000 makes the most sense. But with my lifestyle I don't have to get up and go zero to 100 in under 5 seconds. I'm more of a kick back and take your time type of rider nowadays. I need to go test ride both and see how they feel. I also like ABS so the 1000 would be out as far as that goes. Going on a 200 mile ride in about an hour on the FJR. Well see how it goes today. Master Yoda hardcore today..

Pretty sure the new Man-strom (as contrasted to the 2004-2012) will be: Fuel Injected, ABS, Fly by Wire, Traction Control, etc. etc.

I'd expect it to get better fuel mileage than the old model too, which isn't all that bad really. Price will probably be higher than the 2012 and earlier though.

After owning and riding the FJR1300, I have to think that DL1000 will not feel like a rip snortin', overly powerful bike to you. It is just a nice happy-medium to me. I can't imagine that I would be as satisfied with a little six fiddy as I am with the DL1K.

Wow, Just spent some time surfing the new DL1000 web site at Suzuki. This looks like it will be one very attractive option. Now, if they would just tell us what the msrp is expected to be...

Last edited by a moderator:
The VStroms are at the top of my list if the FJR doesn't work out for me. I'm not sure if I would go with the 650 or 1000 though. I like the economy of the 650 and the motor of the 1000. For my size the 1000 makes the most sense. But with my lifestyle I don't have to get up and go zero to 100 in under 5 seconds. I'm more of a kick back and take your time type of rider nowadays. I need to go test ride both and see how they feel. I also like ABS so the 1000 would be out as far as that goes. Going on a 200 mile ride in about an hour on the FJR. Well see how it goes today. Master Yoda hardcore today..
Of course only you know how much you want to/can spend (unless you want to share that). Agree that Adv. Tour. bikes generally are the most comfortable and V-Stroms are a great value in that category. The new issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a comparo. with the "Wee" Strom and new BMW 800GT. They picked the Strom overall and said "The V-Strom may be the most comfortable bike you can buy" (or something to that affect).

I'm pretty much done with chains and sprockets personally, so shaft/belt drive is a high priority for my primary bike. Not so much an issue for a less ridden "occasion" bike.

From what I've read, the 1000 gets pretty good fuel mileage too.

Good luck on your quest. You know, some manufacturer should name their ADV bike the "Quest".
smile.png

Not sure what the last bike was that you had with a chain and sprockets, but the maintenance is very minimal these days with the improvements made in recent years in o-ring chain technology. You really do not even need to lube a modern o-ring chain. It is mostly to repel water and keep the outside surface of the chain from rusting. All of the important lubrication from wear is sealed inside the rollers via the o-rings. Over zealous cleaning can actually be the cause of early chain failures as the cleaner forces dirt and grit past the o-rings or violates their water integrity, rather than helping reduce wear.

Yes, they (chains and sprockets) do need to be replaced eventually, but they aren't the constant care requirement that they used to be, and they do last much longer too. 40-50 k miles on a set are not uncommon these days, and that is just with an occasional spritzing with a protective drying spray lube like Dupont Teflon or Belray Super-Clean. These lubes do not have to be cleaned off either. You just spray more on occasionally.

Shaft drive is nice (on a purely road bike), but there is at least a 50 lb penalty for the convenience.

My budget is $7k. Reason I come up with that number is because that is about what I figure I could sell the FJR if it comes to that. I have financed a lot of very expensive to me bikes. I have owned 3 BMW GSA's. Lost a few grand on each one. Ouch. I am at a point in my life where I have zero bill besides my house payment and want to keep it that way. No more payments for me. Cash only. I figure $7k could get me a nice farkled used Strom. I would love the Tenere but it's out of my price range. If I could afford it that would be my next bike. But that isn't going to happen.... Off for a ride.. Going to ride over to Zion and around...

Wow! Suzuki has addressed some issues with the new strom - finally some ABS on the big boy. Good lookin' bike, for sure.

I'm amazed so many of the Suzuki guys think that bike is ugly. Seriously?? I actually like that Khaki color. That would be crazy easy to keep sort of clean. I like the style of the bike too...but then again I liked the B-King in a Batman sort of way. Maybe I'm just weird, but it looks like a decent bike.

I know, huh? Compared to the original V-strom design, anything looks great to me.
wink.png

Stroms are the kind of bike that you like for the way they works, so you overlook the "style", or lack of it. Slap some industrial looking bags and a Russell seat on the thing and you got a truly F2 bike.
tonguesmiley.gif

My F2 here:

100_3747.jpg

Strommers don't know nuttin' about "style"

My budget is $7k. Reason I come up with that number is because that is about what I figure I could sell the FJR if it comes to that. I have financed a lot of very expensive to me bikes. I have owned 3 BMW GSA's. Lost a few grand on each one. Ouch. I am at a point in my life where I have zero bill besides my house payment and want to keep it that way. No more payments for me. Cash only. I figure $7k could get me a nice farkled used Strom. I would love the Tenere but it's out of my price range. If I could afford it that would be my next bike. But that isn't going to happen.... Off for a ride.. Going to ride over to Zion and around...
Congrats on being out of debt. I'm getting closer but college is looming in a couple years for the kids
help.gif
. For $7k I would think that there would be a lot of Stroms out there for you to pick from. Done with Beemers huh?

Not sure what the last bike was that you had with a chain and sprockets, but the maintenance is very minimal these days with the improvements made in recent years in o-ring chain technology. You really do not even need to lube a modern o-ring chain. It is mostly to repel water and keep the outside surface of the chain from rusting. All of the important lubrication from wear is sealed inside the rollers via the o-rings. Over zealous cleaning can actually be the cause of early chain failures as the cleaner forces dirt and grit past the o-rings or violates their water integrity, rather than helping reduce wear.
Yes, they (chains and sprockets) do need to be replaced eventually, but they aren't the constant care requirement that they used to be, and they do last much longer too. 40-50 k miles on a set are not uncommon these days, and that is just with an occasional spritzing with a protective drying spray lube like Dupont Teflon or Belray Super-Clean. These lubes do not have to be cleaned off either. You just spray more on occasionally.

Shaft drive is nice (on a purely road bike), but there is at least a 50 lb penalty for the convenience.
The last 10 years before the FJR were on a Cagiva Gran Canyon. Running name brand "O, X, Z ring" chains, using dedicated MC chain lube, not using any solvents to clean off gunk, proper slack adj., etc. with a hardened aluminum big sprocket. Averaged about 15k life out of set up. I was getting ready for my 4th set up but sold the bike before hand.

Thinking back, I wonder if the alu. sprocket (which wore pretty fast) was ruining my chain prematurely.

Ha ha... Too funny. I was reading along and was going to reply and tell you it was the alloy rear sprocket that was the problem.

There is always a penalty for lighter weight, right?

Steel is real!

My best riding buddy who stands at about 6ft 4 in, felt cramped on his FJR. Bought the DL1000 and claims it to be the best bike he's ever owned. In his late 50's he rode on off roads and trails from Canada to Mexico along the contenental divide. He's on his second one now. Not for me as it's too tall, but it sure fits his needs.

Bill

Yes, the 'strom is a tall man's bike. With the Russell saddle and the adjustable rear preload (stock feature) cranked up pretty high I cannot flat foot the beast and I am 6'2". But touching the ground is highly over-rated, IMO. I know I never could do it on any of my dirt bikes and it never seemed to be a problem.
wink.png

And for Jiminytexas... these picks just glommed off the intar webs:

Good MYRP body position on an FJR (I have no idea who this is, but he has 'spensive pants):

IMG_9769.jpg

Bad (Beemer) riding position. Note lack of lower back concave curve and arms too straight. Look how much more stran is on this guy's shoulders. Also his foot is positioned with the peg in the arch of the foot. That makes it hard to use your leg muscles to support your torso like that.

(This guy must be tiny. That bike dwarfs him. The gas tank comes up to mid-chest!!)

k-1600-gtl-escape.JPG

Un-great riding position on an ST1300. Same flaws as beemer boy above, compounded by riding an ST

ST1300_2.jpg

Line drawing generally comparing postures applies.
Fine fellow with the ample moobs on left has good posture.
Weak chinned nancy boy on right has bad posture :

sittin2.jpg

Hope that helps. Oh yeah, Yoda says... "One must be, you, with the bike."

yoda-spaceship.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided today after another ride on the FJR that I am at least going to put forth the effort and see if I can sell it. Test rode a DL1000 at the local dealer for about 20 miles and felt an instant difference. Even though it doesn't have the get up and go that the FJR does. I will try and sell for a few months at least and keep riding while I have it listed. Who knows maybe in that time I will end up wanting to keep it. For now it's in the For Sale section.. Let me know what you think of the ad and price.