My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahchiu, Thanks for your response. I really thought so but, just wanted to double check. oem was a steel nut torqued to a steel stud @ 47 lbs and this app had steel bolt torqued to aluminum plate, which had me immediatly think it would strip @ 63lbs.
uhoh.gif
Hell, I've been wrong B4! Thanks again.
smile.png

Thinking about getting this plate for my Gen I myself. I wished it had even more pull back than what this plate offers. Hmmmm.

So is the Ram-Bone in the way with the install? In other words if you swung the handle bars far left and far right would it hit. Looks like they have plenty of material that doesn't need to be there. But then again it could be intentional. Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold mine for that very reason. I can't give you an answer for a GenI but, It hits on a GenII. The plate though, now comes with a new ram ball included in the package.

Thinking about getting this plate for my Gen I myself. I wished it had even more pull back than what this plate offers. Hmmmm.
You mean this plate?!It is also very beautiful..

I have my bars moved forward a few degree to have less angle on my wrist, now my wrist is in line with my forearms and it feels more natural.

You mean this plate?!It is also very beautiful..

I have my bars moved forward a few degree to have less angle on my wrist, now my wrist is in line with my forearms and it feels more natural.
It is not only the 40mm closer and 20mm higher that this adapter plate offers,but and the angle adjustment that worths every cent..!
smile.png

Finished my install the couple of days ago. Like many others, received product from vendor in 3 working days from order. Unbelievable from Germany..... Most american companies could use this model to take a serious look at customer service, from order date, to delivery of product...... After mutiple test rides, I finally decided on best position for my riding style. Great product with easy install. I think about the only way this could be better was if MV was giving them away for free.....
rolleyes.gif

OK...I don't want to sound like a negative nancy or anything...but I sat on a fellow forum members bike this weekend that has this Motorrad plate installed. He said he had the bars back as far as it could go & also slightly angled back. I sat on his & then back to my stock bar setup and to be perfectly honest I could tell no real tangible difference in comfort or allowing my arms to feel more relaxed. I still felt like I was having to lean forward nearly the same as on my bike.

While the plate itself looks very good & it's a nice piece of craftmanship I can't personally justify spending $250 on something that won't make a much, much more noticeable difference. And it's not like I have T-Rex mini arms. I'm 5'-10" and a normal build. Quite frankly a 40mm pull back just is nowhere near what I'd really be looking for. What I really would like is about another 50mm (2") on top of the 40mm (1.57") that this plate gives. So for now I think I'm just gonna do nothing.

So just a word of caution to others thinking of purchasing this...if you can meet another rider that already has this on their bike first so you can try it out might be a good idea.

That being said this thread is filled with many, many very happy customers that swear by it. This just proves like with ANY bike mod (seat, windshield, risers, hwy pegs....etc) what one person says is awesome, you might not feel the same way about it. Bike comfort mods are so personalized that you just never know for yourself until you try it out.

OK...I don't want to sound like a negative nancy or anything...but I sat on a fellow forum members bike this weekend that has this Motorrad plate installed. He said he had the bars back as far as it could go & also slightly angled back. I sat on his & then back to my stock bar setup and to be perfectly honest I could tell no real tangible difference in comfort or allowing my arms to feel more relaxed. I still felt like I was having to lean forward nearly the same as on my bike.
While the plate itself looks very good & it's a nice piece of craftmanship I can't personally justify spending $250 on something that won't make a much, much more noticeable difference. And it's not like I have T-Rex mini arms. I'm 5'-10" and a normal build. Quite frankly a 40mm pull back just is nowhere near what I'd really be looking for. What I really would like is about another 50mm (2") on top of the 40mm (1.57") that this plate gives. So for now I think I'm just gonna do nothing.

So just a word of caution to others thinking of purchasing this...if you can meet another rider that already has this on their bike first so you can try it out might be a good idea.

That being said this thread is filled with many, many very happy customers that swear by it. This just proves like with ANY bike mod (seat, windshield, risers, hwy pegs....etc) what one person says is awesome, you might not feel the same way about it. Bike comfort mods are so personalized that you just never know for yourself until you try it out.
Georgia, To a great extent, I'd say I agree with you but, The only thing you've proven is "YOU" aren't able to tell any difference.....

Lucky for you, another rider had, what I assume, is your exact ride set-up and you could tell no difference. Money saved......

BTW, I'm a 5'10" rider, 29" inseam, 70" wingspan,165lbs. Hopefully, my personal size information can help other riders trying to make a decision on this mod.

I just purchased a new Fast Red 2014 FJR

I have already ordered the MV adapter and wonder if I will have any diff problems with the 2014 install.

I am up there in years and had some pain in both wrists and shoulders. I am 5 10 1/2 and hope I can get the weight off my wrists.

Anyway....any one installed them on a 2014 and have any tips??

Thanks,

Steve

ahchiu, Thanks for your response. I really thought so but, just wanted to double check. oem was a steel nut torqued to a steel stud @ 47 lbs and this app had steel bolt torqued to aluminum plate, which had me immediatly think it would strip @ 63lbs. :uhoh: Hell, I've been wrong B4! Thanks again. :)
My instructions say 86 nm (m12) and 25 nm ( m8) hence my post glad you checked !

Now let's hope I havent completely eff'd them up

Havent had to remove them yet or adjust

I have read thru this and other threads about the MVR, and I think I have most of the information for the install (mine arrives Monday). I do have one question regarding the brake/clutch levers. The instructions seem to tell you to zip tie the levers in their actuated position to prevent leaks. I know some of you have not done this, but what is the reasoning that activating them would prevent leaks?

Well, the install went great! This is one quality piece of craftsmanship! The only problem was that when I bolted up the adapter plate onto to the bike, I left the adjustment on the "factory" middle position. So, the bars are not as far back as they could be. Not the end of the world, just need to remove them and make the adjustment, but I think it will work fine the way it is. I will ride it for a while, and if I need that little extra, I guess it's "wrenching time" again!

I highly recommend this to anyone that wants an easy to install handlebar adapter plate!

QUESTION: to move them back, I could just loosen the allen bolt and the hex nut, right? I wouldn't actually have to remove the bar from the adapter?

QUESTION: to move them back, I could just loosen the allen bolt and the hex nut, right? I wouldn't actually have to remove the bar from the adapter?
I believe that yes!The handlebar is independent..It screwed on the MV riser plate with his bolts.