My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question - does anyone use the RAM Bone with the MV Motorad riser....
If anyone knows - does the Ram Bone work with the MotorCycle Larry Riser as well...

From the pics - it looks like it would work with either --- but I could easily throw it to a mill with no RAGRETS ?!?!?
smile.png
Warpdrv / Mihailis, were you ever able to answer this question? Is there enough clearance lock to lock with a motorrad plate with a RAM-bone installed? I know they provide a place for RAM balls on the plate, but I made my own RAM-bone and I kinda like it.

Yep, I use one myself.

There is a little contact, just at lock that I've got some small marks in the rambone, but it all works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question - does anyone use the RAM Bone with the MV Motorad riser....
If anyone knows - does the Ram Bone work with the MotorCycle Larry Riser as well...

From the pics - it looks like it would work with either --- but I could easily throw it to a mill with no RAGRETS ?!?!?
smile.png
Warpdrv / Mihailis, were you ever able to answer this question? Is there enough clearance lock to lock with a motorrad plate with a RAM-bone installed? I know they provide a place for RAM balls on the plate, but I made my own RAM-bone and I kinda like it.
I have never install a RAM-bone in combination with the MV riser,so i can't answer to your question..Sorry.

How often are you torquing the stem nut? The plate should come off easily enough for routine maintenance.
Every oil change I do an inspection. Owners manual says every 4000 miles I stretch it to 5000.
I do this job + regrease every 15000+ miles and never had a problem...

I read through this thread with great interest. Looking for one of these for my '16. I'm a little confused though by the listing descriptions. For instance MV's site shows their A variant VER 4901-901440 to fit '06 to '15, whereas Creative Cycle Concepts / Amazon show the same p/n 901440 to fit '06 to '13. Don't know enough about the Gen III's to know if there's any difference in the handlebar setups. Did anything change from '13 / '15 to '16? I sent info requests in to MV and CCC but looks like any replies from them won't happen until Monday.

I read through this thread with great interest. Looking for one of these for my '16. I'm a little confused though by the listing descriptions. For instance MV's site shows their A variant VER 4901-901440 to fit '06 to '15, whereas Creative Cycle Concepts / Amazon show the same p/n 901440 to fit '06 to '13. Don't know enough about the Gen III's to know if there's any difference in the handlebar setups. Did anything change from '13 / '15 to '16? I sent info requests in to MV and CCC but looks like any replies from them won't happen until Monday.
2014-16

have the ES model and it requires a larger opening in the fork mounts but I believe the A model is the same 06-15

Thanks for the replies guys. So it's looking like the A handlebars are the same from '06 to '16. I was a little apprehensive to order because they show only up to '15's on their site.

Likely they just haven't updated the site or gotten a chance to officially confirm the fit. As you know, the 2016 only just hit the roads.
wink.png

I installed the MV Motorrad Riser yesterday on my 2014 ES.

A few observations that may help others. Most already covered in prior posts but just in case:

-Ordered direct from Germany on a Sunday at 4:00pm and UPS handed me the package 10:30am on Tuesday.

-The posted website price was 185.30 Euros with sales (vat) tax included.

-They then deducted the tax since an international order & added shipping to get net cost 199.25 Euro.

-Used a credit card with no foreign transaction fees for a net cost of $227 US.

Key points on the install included the factory adjustable zip tie on the clutch side forward of the clutch cable bracket that MV has you install. Thanks to Warpdrv's comment I was able to find this, otherwise it is quite hidden from view. I ended up opening it completely and moving wires outside it and later add my own tie to tidy up. Absolutely necessary to loosen these cables.

Someone also mentioned a zip tie behind the ignition switch. I found two, both pulled so tight almost cutting into the wires. Snipped them off and later re-tied once had wires/cables pulled into place.

The clutch side adaptor bracket from MV mounted up fine as per their directions.

The right side brake lines adaptor bracket was tough. I installed the sort of L-shaped piece oriented as shown in the supplied directions photo but had to tweak it. The bracket rests/is supported by the lug on the frame where an allen bolt goes in. However, when the bracket is snug against the lug then the bolt hole doesn't quite line up. So, I filed the brackets mounting hole out a few mm's into an oblong shape. I also filed the bracket face that rests against the frame lug just a bit. I then went and bought a slightly longer stainless steel M6 1.0 pitch allen bolt so I could add a ss washer. Works nice and only gave up a couple mm's of forward relocation on the brake lines.

The MV plate bolts on top of the stock handlebar plate. MV didn't provide torque values so I used the factory service manual values of 17 ft-lbs for the 6mm allen bolts and 47 ft-lbs for the 17mm nuts since was essentially bolting back into the stock hardware at this point.

I then was mounting the two handlebars themselves to the MV plate when I noticed the torque values in the English directions sheet didn't match the values on the German page.

The English lists 17Nm for the smaller allen bolt and the German 20Nm so I split the difference, converted to 14 ft-lbs.

The English lists 58Nm for the larger bolt and the German 70Nm so again I split the difference, converted to 47 ft-lbs.

Who knows why the difference. Maybe the Euro FJR model is different than US model. Or, maybe since Europe got the ES version in 2013 these directions were for that year. Maybe just a poor language translation. Either way, decided why risk too tight or too loose and the middle ground seemed appropriate looking at the bolt sizes and thread pitch etc. What the hell, it bolted down nice and snug, felt good.

Otherwise, a nice package and thank you to all who posted their pictures. Can't really add any pics that wouldn't be a repeat of the pics already in the thread.

Can't wait for a test ride in the upcoming week. Again, thanks everyone including Mihalis for posting the link to the ES model on the German web site.

Oh sure, you can use a file to make it work. I used excessive curse words to make mine fit.
biggrin.png

Nice post FXRS!As about the torque values,you could send an email and ask them to tell you about the difference between the English and German directions.

Must be the reason they're back-ordered now!! Ordered mine yesterday and got an email this morning saying there were out of stock, but that they should be getting a shipment in within the week. Will be sure to update once received.

Let us know what you think after a few hundred miles.