My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to confirm that these bar risers still install correctly on the 2013 model. Special thanks for earthrooster's installation pictures back on page 2 to help me get through the installation. I was able to complete the installation using only parts included from Motorrad. A couple notes from my install:

1. The bracket to add on the left side is the thin solid piece with 2 holes. One hole is threaded and the other is not. Use the bolt from the original mounting bracket to connect the original bracket to the new one, using the threaded hole. The non threaded hole is the one mounted against the frame of the bike, and you use the tapered flat head screw provided from motorrad.

2. Earthrooster mentioned that he could not get the new bracket on the right side to fit because he couldn't remove the lower bolt. Maybe it is different on the 2013 model, but I found the lower bolt does not need to be removed. Simply remove the small "L" bracket on the top (mounted with one bolt in the frame, one in the wire block). From there I was able to use the new bracket provided from motorrad.

3. For the 2013 model I believe there are more wires on the left handlebar (probably the cruise control and display panel wires). These were too tight to move that handle back. Luckily there is an adjustable wire tie near the bracket on the left side. I loosened that wire tie, and was able to pull enough slack for those two wires to get the handlebar back far enough.

This was my first upgrade to the FJR but I think it's going to make all the difference. At 6'2" I was getting some pretty bad shoulder blade pain. I'll have to go on another long ride to know for sure, but initial impressions are very promising.

Very helpful info ''mag382''..!After your long ride let us know your impressions..?!

Thanks for the report!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do. I have about a 10 hour trip coming up over the 4th (going to Ontario). I splurged on a bunch of upgrades to make the trip a bit more comfy. This was the first, but I have a Corbin seat, highway pegs, and a Rifle windscreen on the way. Can't wait to get it all put together.

Will do. I have about a 10 hour trip coming up over the 4th (going to Ontario). I splurged on a bunch of upgrades to make the trip a bit more comfy. This was the first, but I have a Corbin seat, highway pegs, and a Rifle windscreen on the way. Can't wait to get it all put together.
Very good choices i believe!Have a nice and comfortable trip!The Corbin seat from what i have read need some miles to break-in..You must have patience until to break-in..We waiting for your news from your trip and your impressions from your improvements in your bike..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

I installed the MV riser plate earlier this week. I like having my gps mounted so that it is just below the speedometer. I thought about drilling a hole in the riser plate to mount a RAM ball, but I think I came up with a better solution.

I just needed this RAM base, and a longer bolt:

31gZOb9ouJL._SX300_.jpg

ed3j.jpg

i9p2.jpg

ws1r.jpg

Now my screen is exactly where I like it, and I didn't have to modify the MV riser plate.

I went on a four hour ride earlier today and I'm loving the new handlebar position.

GREAT!!!
clapping.gif
yahoo.gif
specool.gif
It looks really nice in the plate!!

I have written in a previously post a thought about this position for a ram base in the MV plate..

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/?p=994138

You did it first i think..!!If you like and you have the time,you could start a new thread about the installation of your ram base in the MV plate,which size bolt you have used,etc..

I believe you could help many many MV owners,were they like to install their gps in the MV plate..!

For one more time..congratulations,Great job!!
good.gif

You did it first i think..!!If you like and you have the time,you could start a new thread about the installation of your ram base in the MV plate,which size bolt you have used,etc..
Thanks! I think I'll leave it up to the next person to do it to start a new thread if they wish. There isn't really much to it. Just find an M8 bolt about 10mm longer than the one supplied with the MV plate and bolt the RAM mount on. I happened to have a longer M8 bolt laying around. I didn't measure it before installation, so I can't give the exact length. But, I can take it off and measure it if someone wants to know.

For those people that don't like to buy from Germany, www.Creativecycleconcepts.com has one in stock and ready to sell. It won't show on the website, but if you email them, they will help you out. I got their info from MV in Germany.
They have it on their website now. They just got 3 in and shipped me one. Customer service is excellent.

I like the adjustability of these. Worked great for me.

Ordered mine directly from ze Germans, arrived 4 days later. Installed last Thursday on my new 2013. Bar position is absolutely perfect for me. This is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Anyone who purchases these accessories will not be disappointed. I will give them two thumbs up on this farkle!!!

At the recommendation of all of you, I ordered an MV plate on Friday and it arrived at my front door in Canada on Monday. (I was impressed I tell you)

Will be installing it shortly.

Well I got my 1st bit of distance riding in today with the MV bar riser. It gets full marks from me!

My problems began when I purchased a Sargent seat for the FJR. I am very happy with the seat but it did place me a bit farther back on the bike and as a result, I found that my wrists were getting quite sore on distance rides. I thought it was arthritis and old age, but it appears the MV rider bought me a few more years.

A very worthwhile addition. Don't hesitate to buy one.

By the way, don't wait until you find a dealer in America as you will pay the same import fee's but they will just be hidden. Shipping from MV was fast (Ordered on Friday and it was at my door in Canada from Germany on Monday). I can't get anything delivered this fast from Canada.

Well I got my 1st bit of distance riding in today with the MV bar riser. It gets full marks from me!
My problems began when I purchased a Sargent seat for the FJR. I am very happy with the seat but it did place me a bit farther back on the bike and as a result, I found that my wrists were getting quite sore on distance rides. I thought it was arthritis and old age, but it appears the MV rider bought me a few more years.

A very worthwhile addition. Don't hesitate to buy one.

By the way, don't wait until you find a dealer in America as you will pay the same import fee's but they will just be hidden. Shipping from MV was fast (Ordered on Friday and it was at my door in Canada from Germany on Monday). I can't get anything delivered this fast from Canada.
Yep, agree with everything you said. I also have MCL highway pegs and find that those, in combination with the Sargent seat and MV riser, have added a few more hours of riding comfort to a long day ride. I'd say my FJR is a more of a "Touring Sport" bike now.
yes2.gif

Started putting this on last night and got a little confused about which bolts go where... I looked this thread over but I still can make sense of where I've gone wrong....

I removed the handlebars and the genmar risers. I put the plate on and secured it by installing the 2 supplied bolts thru the two inside holes in the plate. I have nothing else for the 2 outer bolt holes in the plate. The holes in question are the ones that have domed bolt caps installed in all the pictures posted this thread.

Can anyone tell me what bolts am I missing?

Started putting this on last night and got a little confused about which bolts go where... I looked this thread over but I still can make sense of where I've gone wrong....
I removed the handlebars and the genmar risers. I put the plate on and secured it by installing the 2 supplied bolts thru the two inside holes in the plate. I have nothing else for the 2 outer bolt holes in the plate. The holes in question are the ones that have domed bolt caps installed in all the pictures posted this thread.

DeltaKappaZeta:

For these holes you use the 17 mm bolts (large bolts) that held your handlebars on. (The dome caps then cover these bolts).

They also supply different bolts with a small screw on top which you will use to secure the handlebars on the new plate. (You might be missing these? )

If you need a photo, PM me and I can take one.

In the two outer bolt holes for secure the MV plate if you mean this,you must install your oem bolts with nuts:The N.12 oem plate with the bolts with the N.13 nuts.

ps.

Now i understand what is going wrong!With the genmar risers they give two extra long bolts with nuts for secure the genmar risers with the handlebarsFor install these long bolts you must take out your oem N.12 plate with the oem bolts in.Now for the installation of the MV plate you will need this N.12 oem plate with the bolts in,with the N.13 nuts..I am afraid that you must buy this N.12 plate if you haven't..It cost about 55$with the two nuts..have a look at the microfiche:N.12 & N.13

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2010/FJR1300A+-+FJR13AZS/STEERING+HANDLE+%26+CABLE/parts.html

And here is the link and picture from genmar site:

https://www.genmarmfg.com/shop/yamaha/fjr1300-2006-2013-detail.html

Here is the installation instructions for the genmar risers:

https://www.genmarmfg.com/yamaha-fjr-06.html