My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With your MV plate you must have received and these bolts in the yellow circle from ''earthrooster's picture.These bolts are for secure your handlebars in the MV plate..:

Thanks guys. This is starting to make sense.

Mihalis you're right about the genmar risers replacing the OEM plate. I thought the bolts (N.12) were separate from and therefore not attached to the plate. So I originally went looking for them in my parts bin and obviously couldn't find them.

Since I don't have the plate I'll have to swing buy the local hardware store tonight on my way home and buy a pair of replacement bolts and nuts.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. This is starting to make sense.
Mihalis you're right about the genmar risers replacing the OEM plate. I thought the bolts (N.12) were separate from and therefore not attached to the plate. So I originally went looking for them in my parts bin and obviously couldn't find them.

Since I don't have the plate I'll have to swing buy the local hardware store tonight on my way home and buy a pair of replacement bolts and nuts.

Thanks again.
You're welcome!

When you will finish your installation let us know about..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

I'm having a difficult time deciding which riser plate to get, this (MV Motorrad) or the one from Motorcycle Larry.

I've got around 1500 miles on my new to me 2008 FJR and one of the biggest issues I have is the handlebar reach. The angle bother me, but i've applied the MYRP and that is less of an issue now. The problem for me is the bars are just a bit too faraway to actually use the MYRP. I end up having to lean forward and put weight on the bars because I can't reach them very well sitting like I should.

That said, I'm more concerned about getting the bars closer than the angle adjustability. I know the MV plate is 1.57" (40mm) closer and .79" (20mm) higher. MCL is 1.75" closer and 1.5" higher, so a bit closer and almost twice as high. MV is fully adjustable in angle, MCL is fixed at 4 degrees vs 6 degrees stock. Maybe 4 degrees is just right and who cares about adjustability?

Right now, if I sit up straight with my back arched as it should be, lay my arms straght down as they should be, the grips land right at the base of my fingers. I'd love to maintain that posture and the bars meet me where I am. For reference, i'm 6'4".

I'm less concerned about cost (difference is negliible) and installation (MCL seems a bit more difficult due to the drilling required, but in the grand scheme I don't care). I just want to do this once and be happy.

Any thoughts?

At this point, I'm really leaning toward MCL. Talk me out of it.

Well,The 1,57 is very near to 1,75..I believe if you close your eyes,you will not feel any difference which riser you have installed..The big difference in comfortable is in the angle adjustment..If you like the MCL and you believe that you will be happy with it,buy it!I don't like to drill anything in my bike..If you haven't problem with it,do what you want and you like..Your bike..you decide..!
smile.png
I am very happy with my MV riser!I have and the Helibars risers,Very good risers!but the angle adjustment of the MV make the big difference in comfortable..!!
smile.png

Well,The 1,57 is very near to 1,75..I believe if you close your eyes,you will not feel any difference which riser you have installed..The big difference in comfortable is in the angle adjustment..If you like the MCL and you believe that you will be happy with it,buy it!I don't like to drill anything in my bike..If you haven't problem with it,do what you want and you like..Your bike..you decide..!
smile.png
I am very happy with my MV riser!I have and the Helibars risers,Very good risers!but the angle adjustment of the MV make the big difference in comfortable..!!
smile.png
Yes, I realize the nearness is close, but the height is almost double with MCL. Wonering if that makes a significant difference and if I'll end up setting the MV at the same angle as the MCL brackets anyway.

smile.png
smile.png
Yes, I realize the nearness is close, but the height is almost double with MCL. Wonering if that makes a significant difference and if I'll end up setting the MV at the same angle as the MCL brackets anyway.
Sorry,i can't help you more..perhaps an other guy here can give you more help..
smile.png

Perhaps the more height could creat a problem with the air from the windshield..
rolleyes.gif

Have a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a difficult time deciding which riser plate to get, this (MV Motorrad) or the one from Motorcycle Larry.
I've got around 1500 miles on my new to me 2008 FJR and one of the biggest issues I have is the handlebar reach. The angle bother me, but i've applied the MYRP and that is less of an issue now. The problem for me is the bars are just a bit too faraway to actually use the MYRP. I end up having to lean forward and put weight on the bars because I can't reach them very well sitting like I should.

That said, I'm more concerned about getting the bars closer than the angle adjustability. I know the MV plate is 1.57" (40mm) closer and .79" (20mm) higher. MCL is 1.75" closer and 1.5" higher, so a bit closer and almost twice as high. MV is fully adjustable in angle, MCL is fixed at 4 degrees vs 6 degrees stock. Maybe 4 degrees is just right and who cares about adjustability?

Right now, if I sit up straight with my back arched as it should be, lay my arms straght down as they should be, the grips land right at the base of my fingers. I'd love to maintain that posture and the bars meet me where I am. For reference, i'm 6'4".

I'm less concerned about cost (difference is negliible) and installation (MCL seems a bit more difficult due to the drilling required, but in the grand scheme I don't care). I just want to do this once and be happy.

Any thoughts?

At this point, I'm really leaning toward MCL. Talk me out of it.
I tried opening up the angle on my MV riser but when you do that, they get farther away and the slight comfort improvement was lost by leaning forward too much again, so I put them back to "full back". I've never tried the MCL upper triple tree but I would think it would work better for you. In fact, I wish the MV was even higher and further back for me as well.

I found the stock angle to be OK when not having to lean on the bars. What height do you run the seat and is it stock or aftermarket? If you can run the seat on the low setting without cramping up you knees and hips, you essentially gain some height in the bars over the high setting.

I think the MCL riser has the greatest up and back change without having to change cables and hoses.

I tried opening up the angle on my MV riser but when you do that, they get farther away and the slight comfort improvement was lost by leaning forward too much again, so I put them back to "full back". I've never tried the MCL upper triple tree but I would think it would work better for you. In fact, I wish the MV was even higher and further back for me as well.
I found the stock angle to be OK when not having to lean on the bars. What height do you run the seat and is it stock or aftermarket? If you can run the seat on the low setting without cramping up you knees and hips, you essentially gain some height in the bars over the high setting.

I think the MCL riser has the greatest up and back change without having to change cables and hoses.
Thanks so much for your response - that's exactly the feedback I was hoping to get. I was imagining just what you described - adjust the angle and lose the benefit. I think the MCL will work better for me since I need maximum rise/run and slightly modifies the angle all the while. This wouldn't be as big of an issue for others that require less reach.

I'm pretty sure i'm not running the low setting on my stock seat. I'm also using an Alaska Leather pad. So all of that is working against me to seat me higher. It is comfortable, though. I have a Russell being built right now, so I'm planing to wait until it arrives before making any other mods to the bike. One thing at a time to determine the next step.

After reading all the posts I ordered the MV plate Sat and recieved it today. I opened the box at work and verified the tapped hole is 6X1.0 so ordered a ram ball as my MCL top nut will have to come off and stock reinstalled to install the plate. Got home and started checking out the hardware bags and discovered MV includes a ball and mtg hardware-oh well,guess I'll have a spare now. Time to get out to the garage and start installing. Jeff

After reading all the posts I ordered the MV plate Sat and recieved it today. I opened the box at work and verified the tapped hole is 6X1.0 so ordered a ram ball as my MCL top nut will have to come off and stock reinstalled to install the plate. Got home and started checking out the hardware bags and discovered MV includes a ball and mtg hardware-oh well,guess I'll have a spare now. Time to get out to the garage and start installing. Jeff
I need to do that tonight too, Jeff. Just not sure if it will happen. :)

I

I ordered the MV risers from https://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com. for my Gen III. From date of order to receipt was only five days. Form, fit, and function are outstanding. Replaced the 6mm, supplied, flat head screw with a 6mm X 16mm hex head for the one extender. The forum pretty well covers any comments I would have on the installation process. Thanks for the guidance.

It seems everyone is in love with the MV riser but now I see Helibars has made a new setup.

https://www.helibars.com/product/yamaha-fjr1300-handlebar-bridge-2006-2013-us-european

These seem to raise the bars 1/4" higher but give you the freedom to move them much closer to the rider. You don't have to drill out the ignition. The downside is you have to install a brake line extension, but it does come with the kit and it says all other lines are long enough. Anyone have experience with these yet?

Yes, I installed the Helibars "bridge" on my FJR a few weeks ago. The install was not too difficult. You do need to remove the top triple clamp, but only to allow you to remove the bar mounting hardware from it. It then goes right back on. The ignition switch remains in place on the clamp. The brake line needs the extension, the rest of the lines/cables are the stock ones. The short extension has a bleeder at the end that attaches to the existing brake line, I only needed to bleed the line at this bleeder to get air out of the extension. The bars are moved back toward the rider, say, 3" if they are all the way back. They can be adjusted by pivoting them through a small angle which allows you to set them so that your wrist is not bent as much as it is with stock, at the cost of them not being as close to you as they could be.

The visual appearance of the brake line with the extension is not as "pretty" as a whole new line would be, but I really like what it does for my riding position. I have short arms and it makes quite a difference. I have pictures but I need to get them to a hosting site and then load them, I've never done that before plus I've been rather busy with the flood aftermath here in Colorado (5 days without electricity, and for me it was a minor inconvenience compared to what the folks that actually live in town are going through).

Great posting on the MV product!! I have Heli-riser on my '07 and they seem to be OK. Has anyone had them and moved to MV? If yes what advantage have you experienced? Tks

I've got a question for the MV plate users, in regards to installation torque values. Gbjbany posted up in post # 168 :

(quote) "5. The new bolts require a NM - i converted them to lb ftr as i dont have a torque wrench with NM - they are 63 lb ft and 18 lb ft"

My question is : The installation instructions sent to me state 30Nm and 25Nm. On the conversion calculator (google) that converts to 22 ft lb and 18 ft lb.

Huge difference between 63 and 22. Does anyone know which is correct for the application?

I've got a question for the MV plate users, in regards to installation torque values. Gbjbany posted up in post # 168 :(quote) "5. The new bolts require a NM - i converted them to lb ftr as i dont have a torque wrench with NM - they are 63 lb ft and 18 lb ft"

My question is : The installation instructions sent to me state 30Nm and 25Nm. On the conversion calculator (google) that converts to 22 ft lb and 18 ft lb.

Huge difference between 63 and 22. Does anyone know which is correct for the application?
It's 22 & 18