My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The HeliBar riser are competing with MV Motorrad....

Looks like Helibar just changed to a mounting plate that drops down like the MV Motorrad instead of the full triple tree removal. Not sure when they made that change... Also - with the HeliBar, you must lengthen the brake line with that goofy extension they offer... Not everyone is a fan of the end resulting looking product there..

Also there are the Motorcycle Larry Riser, which replaces the entire triple tree, and is more work involved but gives more movement of the bars from what I can see...

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4_134_3_75_5_134&products_id=488&zenid=untotd0evlbki9pa5pgljjkol6

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that you won't see too much noticeable difference in the riding position between the three risers..
But the most easy installation surely is the MV..
smile.png
yes.gif

I had my dealer install the MV motorrad risers when they replaced the front seals under the YES warranty. It seemed like the perfect time to do it. I love the adjustability and it has made the bike more comfortable to ride. All I want now is the day long seat and a GPS and I will be set. Too many farkles and bikes out there. My wants exceed my income.

I had my dealer install the MV motorrad risers when they replaced the front seals under the YES warranty. It seemed like the perfect time to do it. I love the adjustability and it has made the bike more comfortable to ride. All I want now is the day long seat and a GPS and I will be set. Too many farkles and bikes out there. My wants exceed my income.
I have read that the Russell day long seat has one inch about more height from the stock seat.probably you will loose some of the advantage of the MV...

I am reading this thread because I just put on a Russell seat with stock bars. I am thinking I need to pull them back toward the seat a bit. I don't really want them much higher.. a little is fine. But the pocket of my Russell seat does have me sitting further to the rear and higher than stock (when stock seat is in the low position). Feels the same as stock seat in the high position altitude wise.. but the pocket is where your butt is most comfy.. so.. ... MIght try one of these...

So is the preferred rotation all the way back or slightly forward? I know everyone is different, but after reading this thread, I was looking at Larry's 1-1/2" up, 1-3/4" back, and 6 degree forward might work great for me. I think years of dirt biking and cycling, a flatter bar would be more comfortable.

So is the preferred rotation all the way back or slightly forward? I know everyone is different, but after reading this thread, I was looking at Larry's 1-1/2" up, 1-3/4" back, and 6 degree forward might work great for me. I think years of dirt biking and cycling, a flatter bar would be more comfortable.
I have mine rotated just slightly forward, for me it feels the most natural & comfortable.

Quick question, can the motorrad risers from Germany go on an es without any different installation? Or does it not matter that there are wires coming out the top of the upside down forks?I have a new to me 14 ES, which I'm loving by the way. Thanks in advance..

Dave

Just installed them on the 2015 ES and no issues - you have to follow directions to release the right and left side stuff, but also you need to open up the factory adjustable zip tie on the lower left side of the electrical wires that are pretty snugged up tight - once you loosen those - everything gets real easy to move into place and bolt it down... while still allowing adjust-ability.... to swing/swivel them forward and back....

Very happy, pretty much thrilled with my purchase coming off an 2005 riser, with no adjustment...

Yup - no problem with the GEN 3 Motorrad riser..... Plus if you need even more pull, there was a guy on the other forum that documented his further trials to make it pull back even closer if you really need that - I'm 5'10 and in stock form that riser gives me more options then I need to be super comfy....

I'll be adjusting as I go forward, but as it sits - I need nothing more then what it offers...

Take your time - loosen up everything..... left side low elect wires are the key....

And the fork wires are a non issues...

Warpdrv,

My risers will be here today, not bad for ordering them Monday night, I wish all my deliveries were that quick. Anyway, did you have to remove the metal wire loop when you i stalled these? Thanks for answering all my questions about this subject.

Dave

There are 2 brackets you need to add that come in the package with the risers......

andreus009 had a couple good pics at what your looking at in post 277 & 279....

1. The 2 hole spacer that goes on the left side..... Pretty easy, unbolt whats there add that in rebolt it down....

I didn't feel I needed more reach then what stock gave me so I didn't modify mine.

cf2d1b8c-cab3-4873-8798-2c90f60b894d_zps1da64ef0.jpg

Just below this bracket ^^^ and forward is a factory zip tie that holds a bunch of wires to the forks that needs to be loosened up quite a bit, just press the tab of the zip tie and open it a bunch of clicks so the wires are loose.... you can follow them from the the wires that are all in front of the ignition key area.

Once those are loose, pull them to get some slack.... You will need it to be able to get the bars to travel back towards the seat...

2. The small machined aluminum block that goes on the right side.... that one is tricky, as there is tension on the metal brake / clutch lines.... I ended up using a long flat head to get some leverage to pry them forward, getting those screws in was a bit tedious but not impossible...

Hope Andrew doesn't mind the picture thievery.....

AE1494D4-D54F-4937-A8FA-A17E7F166F7B_zpsrtrdfler.jpg

Once you get into it, it should be pretty self explanatory - I did it by myself and it went well, would have been nice to have an extra set of hands though...

Good luck

I just ordered a set of these for my 2014 FJR 1300A. I fear I ordered the wrong part from MV Motorad even though I asked the question in advance. I ordered this part:

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate+Yamaha+FJR+1300+2013+Variant+AE+and+ES+with+Upside+Down+Front+Fork.htm

I know the A does not have the upside down fork but it is a post 2012.

Should I have ordered this instead:

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2012+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate.htm

I did not think it made sense to order a riser plate for the 2012 FJR and "Monika" at MV Motorad told my by prior e mail (received before I placed my order) that the former plate (the one I ordered) will fit the 2014 FJR 1300A model sold in the US.

Can someone either put my mind at ease or tell me that I messed up. I would like to stop worrying about it or prepare to box something up to send back to the Fatherland for exchange.

Thanks guys.

If you bought the riser plate for the 06-12 fjr,i mean this: https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2012+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate.htm

Then it will fit on to your 2014/A.This MV model is for the 06-2015/A.THEY MUST WRITE THE RIGHT WORDS IN THEIR WEBSITE!!!And i don't know why they don't!The one model they sell is for 06-2015/A and the other model is for the 2014/2015/ES.

The difference between the two riser plates is that the model for the ES has deeper holes for the nuts because the triple clamp fork is thicker than the A model.Probably the model that you bought will fit on to your bike and ''Monica'' she told you right.I mean that i believe the MV riser plate model for the 2014-2015/ES will fit on the 2014-2015/A.But the MV riser plate model for the 06-2015/A doesn't fit on the 2014-2015/ES.

Thanks Mihalis fjr. That makes me feel somewhat better. Now I have to wonder whether it will look right even though it may "fit.' I am trying to contact MV Motorad to clear this up but between it being a weekend and in Germany, I have to keep my fingers crossed likely until the thing gets here. I would prefer to have the item that is designed to go on the bike I have not a one size fits both approach. This will be a good test of customer service. And I agree, the website product descriptions are misleading in the way they describe the bike each plate is designed to fit. All they need to say about the plate that actually goes on the A model is that it extends to the post 2012 Gen IIIA models. Problem solved.