My Tire Comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I was looking through my records and here's some mileage reports off tires I've run. With the exception of the POS stock Bridgestone O21's, every set I've pulled has still had a good front tire but the back is gone. I usually replace them by the set. I generally run them down near to the cords, although some sets I've pulled early when I've had long trips lined up.

Bridgestone BT 023GT Three sets, pulled at 7185 miles (totally done with steel belts showing), 6770 miles, 7100 miles. Loved these tires. Cheap, handled well, lasted. Too bad they "upgraded" to the T30s.

Michelin PR 2 One set, pulled at 5,865, still had at least 1000 in them but with the the howling and handling as they wore out I was happy to pull them.

Avon Storm II Ultra: Two sets, pulled at 5990 and 6200. I kept the front on the second set and ran it for 7020 miles, and it still had some life. Liked these tires, expensive but each time got with a rebate. Mine balanced OK, others have had issues with Avon quality control. I'd do them again.

Pirelli Angel GT: One set, nice tires. Handling is good, 8297 miles, the mileage champ for me so far. Pricey, but probably worth it.

Bridgestone T30 GT: One set, pulled them early at 4084 miles as I had a 3K trip to Canada, and knew they wouldn't make it. I don't think they handle as good as or last as long as their predecessor, the 023GT, but they are priced right.

Dunlop RoadSmart II: These tires used to be priced up there, recently they've dropped so I tried them. Currently on the bike with 6929 miles. I think they probably would have another 1000 to go but the back is getting pretty square. I really like these tires a lot. They are sticky and feel very smooth, I've run the rear to the edge and they feel great. They've started to howl in corners as they're wearing out. I'm ordering another set--$239 w/free shipping right now on E-Bay (Chaparral Motorsports).

Last edited by a moderator:
''Bridgestone BT 023GT Three sets, pulled at 7185 miles (totally done with steel belts showing), 6770 miles, 7100 miles. Loved these tires. Cheap, handled well, lasted.''

Excellent tires for me!!I also love these!!
smile.png

First PR4 now on the front...6000 miles and counting. Sipes still present, haven't worn out yet. Previously, 3 Pr2 Fronts, total 36,00 miles.

Currently, Michelin Sport AS Plus on the rear, 56,000 miles and another 5-6k remaining on it. May NEVER wear out.
smile.png

I was looking through my records and here's some mileage reports off tires I've run. With the exception of the POS stock Bridgestone O21's, every set I've pulled has still had a good front tire but the back is gone. I usually replace them by the set. I generally run them down near to the cords, although some sets I've pulled early when I've had long trips lined up.
Bridgestone BT 023GT Three sets, pulled at 7185 miles (totally done with steel belts showing), 6770 miles, 7100 miles. Loved these tires. Cheap, handled well, lasted. Too bad they "upgraded" to the T30s.

Michelin PR 2 One set, pulled at 5,865, still had at least 1000 in them but with the the howling and handling as they wore out I was happy to pull them.

Avon Storm II Ultra: Two sets, pulled at 5990 and 6200. I kept the front on the second set and ran it for 7020 miles, and it still had some life. Liked these tires, expensive but each time got with a rebate. Mine balanced OK, others have had issues with Avon quality control. I'd do them again.

Pirelli Angel GT: One set, nice tires. Handling is good, 8297 miles, the mileage champ for me so far. Pricey, but probably worth it.

Bridgestone T30 GT: One set, pulled them early at 4084 miles as I had a 3K trip to Canada, and knew they wouldn't make it. I don't think they handle as good as or last as long as their predecessor, the 023GT, but they are priced right.

Dunlop RoadSmart II: These tires used to be priced up there, recently they've dropped so I tried them. Currently on the bike with 6929 miles. I think they probably would have another 1000 to go but the back is getting pretty square. I really like these tires a lot. They are sticky and feel very smooth, I've run the rear to the edge and they feel great. They've started to howl in corners as they're wearing out. I'm ordering another set--$239 w/free shipping right now on E-Bay (Chaparral Motorsports).
Nice work. I like the just the facts manner of writing. Concise and to the point. Well done even! Bravo....

First PR4 now on the front...6000 miles and counting. Sipes still present, haven't worn out yet. Previously, 3 Pr2 Fronts, total 36,00 miles.
Currently, Michelin Sport AS Plus on the rear, 56,000 miles and another 5-6k remaining on it. May NEVER wear out.
smile.png
Hmmm, this has got to be a world record. Congrats Howie. Youdaman.

Like the T30 front better than the 023GT, the rear T30 sticks well but lasts no where near as long as the 023GT. I can see why the have come out with the T30 EVO rear.

Anyone running a T30 EVO yet?

Try this, I stuck a tire with the cords showing with a wood drill bit and was surprised at how little effort it took to puncture the tire, hardly any. Since then I never run them to the cords. May have been that one tire(dont remember which) but seemed like a catastrophe waiting to happen.