Mysterious RAM X-Mount Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For the second time in a year my iPhone popped out of its RAM X-Mount...without me having done anything unusual (e.g., hitting a pothole, swerving, rapid acceleration or deceleration). Both times the Lightening connector kept the phone from dropping to the freeway (you can read more about the specifics at https://pursuit.olbert.com/2020/04/uh-oh/).

Is there some kind of adjustment I need to make to the X-Mount to tighten its grip? Do the rubber grippers just lose their grip as they age (which would hardly be surprising since they're exposed to a lot of wind, grit & UV)?

Or should I get a different mount? If so, what do people recommend for an iPhone 10X?

I am impressed that the lightning connector held that securely. I use a Quad-Lock now. You have to put your phone in a special case that won't allow it to lie flat. They are expensive but performance is excellent. 

Thanx, everyone for the quick replies (and apologies for not responding sooner -- for some reason I'm not getting notified when people comment on my posts).

@graler: I was pretty impressed, too, that the lightning connector held that tight. I've had some of them slip out really easily.

I’ had exactly the same thing happen pre-rubber tether with the x-grip TWICE, because I’m an id10t.  The rubber tether is an incredible PITA.

The Quick Grip is the only way to go. Used by Long Haul Paul https://www.longhaulpaul.com/ among others. It doesn’t require 2 hands either.

For the second time in a year my iPhone popped out of its RAM X-Mount...without me having done anything unusual (e.g., hitting a pothole, swerving, rapid acceleration or deceleration). Both times the Lightening connector kept the phone from dropping to the freeway (you can read more about the specifics at https://pursuit.olbert.com/2020/04/uh-oh/).

Is there some kind of adjustment I need to make to the X-Mount to tighten its grip? Do the rubber grippers just lose their grip as they age (which would hardly be surprising since they're exposed to a lot of wind, grit & UV)?

Or should I get a different mount? If so, what do people recommend for an iPhone 10X?
You just need a decent mount. X-grip is the shittiest mount I’ve ever seen. It’s not if, it’s when, when you’re taking about an x-grip dumping a phone. Even with the rubber band thing that’s supposed to compensate for how bad the mount itself is. 

I prefer the slipgrip. But ram has an actually decent mount out there for less than $20 now  Paul Pelland/ Longhaulpaul posted about it somewhere, as noted above  

Replaced my X-Grip with this. Comes with a tether, but I've never needed it.  After a year of use, my phone never came loose. I'm not familiar with iphones, so you might want to check for correct fit.
Thanks for the link / commentary lonerider. I did some quick research and just ordered one of these...

I use this mount. Very solid, adjustable with built in charging. Once the phone is in there it is clamped good and tight. About $30 on amazon. You can access all the buttons when its in the cradle.

i-nQQRKmz-S.jpg

i-6cj7RGv-S.jpg

This exact same thing happened to me as well, but I did not have a tether on it.  Before I turn around and pick it up, a car ran over it.  I learned an expensive lesson.  I only keep my phone in my pocket now and use via Bluetooth.  I get my map/directions from my hardwired Garmin Zumo.   

Replaced my X-Grip with this. Comes with a tether, but I've never needed it.  After a year of use, my phone never came loose. I'm not familiar with iphones, so you might want to check for correct fit.
I bought one of these lately and love it. It holds the phone very secure.

GP

63337-E24-3-F07-4-A22-B1-CA-4-D182-B614237.jpg

Oddly when I try to paste a link, nothing happens.

But here’s a photo off amazon. Similar to the one lonerider posted, but no springs holding the phone, it’s a screw operated vice. So odds are there’s no way for the phone to fall off unless the phones case breaks. You just need a Ram camera mount ball to mount it to.

I have a Ram X mount. I have a iPhone Xs with an otter box. It is tough to open up the X large enough to get the phone in it. I believe the rubber contain of the otter box helps hold the phone in place.  Not sure I would trust the phone to stay in the X if it didn't have a Otter Box on it

I stumbled across the old xgrip I tried in the garage yesterday. Tossed it.