Mysterious RAM X-Mount Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is this one too.  Big thread at ADVrider.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/

perfect-squeeze.jpg

I have been using X-grips for years and a couple hundred thousand miles.  I only lost my phone once.  On the German Autobahn at 145 mph.  And one of the rubber doohickeys was split down the side -which caused the loss.  I've never even used the tether.  Even on rough fire roads on my GSA I have never had an issue.  They key is to make sure the rubber doohickeys are pushed down all the way.  Best practice is to glue them on.  Perhaps the phone case I use on my Galaxy S9 helps?

Still....   After seeing 0Face's Quad-lock set up at Red Lodge I was impressed. Not super happy about having to use their case, but also liked the wireless charging.  Freaking spendy!!!

I see Ram now has two set-ups for wireless charging.  Once uses the X-grip, the other, the Quick-grip, though it's different that the other Ram Quick-grip I see other peeps talk about.  Also freaking spendy!  I am just trying to figure out which one to go with.  Decisions, decisions......

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN14WB-V7M

RAM-HOL-UN14WB-V7M.jpg

I want this. But not enough to spend $155.00 on it. I’ve already got $80 in the slipgrip and buzzkill combo. 

I installed the new Ram Mount wireless shown in Skooters post, works great.  Strong spring hold the phone (iphone xs) well and has a back up rubber "strap" that hooks onto the top of the mount so it doesn't obscure the phone at all.  hit some pretty good....well I guess that would be bad potholes and its held solid.  Has an on/off button too which is handy.

The Quadlock is super cool. It's a little more money, but you won't lose your phone and the Quadlock has wireless charging, so no plug ins required. Just mount your phone and it stays charged. 

After posting above, I went ahead and went with the Quadlock wireless charging set up.  It's pricey but will hold the phone very well.  I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but I think I am going to like it.  Secure, no floppy mount.  No cord coming out the bottom of my phone to get wet in rain, and to get smashed up against my tankbag when steering left.

The negatives are:  

-  Changing out my phone case every time I wan't to mount my phone my bike.

-  I don't think the wireless charging will work as well as a cord.  In my limited use it seems to stop charging due to heat sooner.  And I'm not sure it will charge enough if the screen is constantly on like when using a mapping program. 

GPS?!?!

You Luddite!  Boomer!

GPS is there only for backup and true all out downpours.  It's such a PITA to use compared to the phone.
Except when it's raining. Except when it's too bright. Except when it's too hot. Except when it's too cold. Except when the mount isn't right. Except when it won't charge. Except when I need to talk on it. Except when service is weird.

That's like saying, "The best way to get somewhere is to walk. Unless you have a car." Trying to rationalize why something is a better tool than it is is harder work than just using the right tool. 

Except when it's raining. Except when it's too bright. Except when it's too hot. Except when it's too cold. Except when the mount isn't right. Except when it won't charge. Except when I need to talk on it. Except when service is weird.

That's like saying, "The best way to get somewhere is to walk. Unless you have a car." Trying to rationalize why something is a better tool than it is is harder work than just using the right tool. 

No.  None of what you mention is a problem for me.  The only exception being consistent, hard rain.  Otherwise the phone is always there being used.  So I really don't understand what gobbaldy-gook you are trying to say.