Nafo 2010 Home Safe Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
I rolled out of the hotel this morning with Tom and Pam (huron52) at 7:30.

Along the way we picked up Bill (yamafitter) and rode to Cincinnati. Bill and I split off towards Columbus and Tom and Pam continued north.

So, after 390 boring-ass-slab miles, I am at home.

Susie and I had a great time, as always. It was great meeting the new peeps and great seeing old friends once again.

You'ns'all ride safe, y'hear?

Mvette and I woke up at 6am sharp; he packed and left about 15 minutes later to meet up with Patriot at the Marriott so they could start their voyage home. I left a few minutes later and headed for Rocky Mount via Boone (no slabbing this time). Stopped about 40 miles up the road to grab a snack and then the rain started falling. It continued to rain for the ENTIRE trip back, lol. Torrential downpours most of the time, so it made it interesting...but made it home finally.

Had a great time at NAFO...some great rides and meet some great folks. Looking forward to the next shindig... :D

Oops.. posted in Ray's thread before I saw this... anyway:

I made it home about 630. Steady cold rain for the first 6 hours and then it let up for the last couple of hours. Rain gear kept me mostly dry but my gloves got soaked almost immediately and my boots gave up after the 2nd hour. Cold and wet ride home. Had a great time though! Well, other than my buddy getting up close and personal with a guardrail....

Pulled out of Knoxville @ 6:30 AM and missed all of the rain. (except for a short sprinkle) Made it back to NW Indiana this afternoon. Had a great time, great ride, and great conversation. Thanx to Advanced Laser Werks (Bustanut). The frame is way cool! And of course Heidi, Bob, Jay, and Jeff for your efforts!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hiding out in Canton OH from Bungie tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to stop in to Premier Motorcycle Accessories and then slab it back home. By that time the rear tire will be completely toast after WCR & NAFO (about 16000 km or 10000 miles on a Avon Ultra Storm II). I did too much slabbing coming back from WCR and from NAFO. The sides are nicely scruffed in after two days on the Dragon and Cherohola but the center of the tire is done.

Headed out at 7:15 for the ~520 mile day from Knoxville to Chesapeake Va. First 300 was cold rain. Next 100 miles it cleared up enough to start to dry me out and warm me up, last 120 more rain. A 9 hour trip turned into a 12 hour trip. Rolled into the driveway at 7:00 PM; Home safe and sound. Great meeting everyone. Hope to make another meet up soon.

Home at 2050h tonight. 629 miles yesterday with BigOgre (I bailed out at Allentown PA and he continued on to Long Island) and 771 miles today in 12 hours door to door. I should try an Iron Butt :p

Great time - even though I missed dinner last night. Speaking of which, I hope Bob made a plug for CFR 2010. (who got the NB mugs?)

Big shout out to Jay, Heidi, Bob and Sharon !! Thank you guys and gals :clapping:

12.5 hour slog home. Got in at 8:15 PM. Rain most of the way. the slab down sucked so bad I was determined not to do it again. Just took 81 north far enough to pick up 58 east. Took 58 all the way to S. Boston. Was interesting in many spots with rain, wet leaves, and 54 degree temperatures. Had a great time. It was great to meet some new folks and reconnect with friends. Glad that everyone had a good time.

As BikerGeek99 said We left the hotel and headed home. Made good time until the border crossing. It took us over anhour to cross over the bridge. (Yes I know Barry not as long as yours)

Home safe and sound by 10:15pm

violione and i arrived home safe at 10:00 PM. enjoyed taking 58 with bob and jim . . . even though it was cold and rainy.

looking forward to the next get-together!

Home by 9:15. Saved Steves life on the bridge.(let him tell you about it). Long day!

Just made it home,

Thanks to all for a great time down in Knoxville. I left at 8:30 A.M. and just arrived home at 12: 36 A.M. 940 miles give or take a few. I did an unofficial SS1K on the way down with 1,044 miles. I have definitely gained an appreciation for what these LD riders go through. I didn't play it to smart today taking off. I didn't use all of my rain gear when first leaving the hotel. Hence forth at the first gas stop I changed most of my clothes and added a couple more layers for the remainder ot the trip. I then slogged it through 6 more hrs. of rain and went through all three pairs of dry gloves that I brought with me. I passed FJRAY and a few other forum members on the way home. Hope all made it home O.K. . I had planned on stopping and getting a hotel but after seeing the weather forcast at McDonald's for lunch it looked like I would be slogging all the way home the next day in the same storm again. I decided to keep going and push on. My brains were getting numb by the end of the trip and I could tell my responses were slowing down. I turned the tunes up some more and made it home.

Great to be home,

Good night all.

Dave

Left Knoxville at 6 AM to beat the rain; which didn't work:) Road 400 of the 500 miles home in heavy rain and dropping temps. I had my heated vest with me and was warm and dry.

Had a great time as usual!

Thanks to those who put this together!

Kim and I headed out a little after 7:30. Hit several light showers out of Knoxville heading south and then had mostly overcast skies to just outside Atlanta. Once we hit state road 20 on the far northeast side of ATL, we hit heavy rain for the rest of the way home to Loganville (about the last hour and 20 minutes). Of course we ended up wet but home safe and sound. Had a great time and Kim enjoyed her first rally and extended trip on the bike.

As BikerGeek99 said We left the hotel and headed home. Made good time until the border crossing. It took us over anhour to cross over the bridge. (Yes I know Barry not as long as yours)

I bet it was because of that damned plaque.. How'd you explain that to 'em? :lol:

It must be a weekend thing on that damned bridge. Never had much of a delay weekdays.

:jester:

I bet it was because of that damned plaque.. How'd you explain that to 'em? :lol:

It must be a weekend thing on that damned bridge. Never had much of a delay weekdays.

:jester:

The frames were excellent Bustanut.

Tough decision on which photo to honor.

Thanks from a lucky winner!

Oh yeah.

This is the home safe thread.

Winewhisperer and I made it back fine to US64 in Bartlett where he turned left for Lakeland and I headed right.

We had a good ride back, about half and half slab and backroads.

Extended Sunday morning breakfast was much enjoyed and didn't hold us up much as I made it home about 6:00 PM.

Steve and I left the hotel at 7am and headed north. We ran into heavy rain and and because of the forecast decieded to turn a two day ride into one. Got home to RI at 1:30am Monday. We both had a great time, thanks to everyone!

Brenda and I made it home yesterday around 3 pm.....unloaded the bike in the dry and I am ready to go do some riding this morning!

Woke up around 3:30 decided to get it together and head out.Left Knoxville at 0435, did not put on rain gear as it was not raining although the streets were wet. Mistake, stoped at 0530 for coffe and put on raingear. Truck spray was very heavy, started raining heavier around 0630. Out of the the rain about 1030 but had a wet butt and soaked leather(waterproof ?) gloves. Stopped on 81 for 20min for an accident closure.Eventually got dry roads and about 1400 decided since I was already wet I would contiue on as long as I didn't start getting stupid.Got gas in Conn. and a guy told me it was about 1Hr plus to the Mass Pike. Except for the accident a few exits up which took a half hour to get throuh.By now it was 1930 and dark, I really am not fond of riding at night( old peoples eyes don't refocus as well as youger ones) but was still feeling OK so continued. Arrived in the driveway at 2127, 984 mile by the odometer.

Thanks to all who put in the hard work to make this happen, it is a great area to ride. Doesn't matter what road you ride they are all good, except the slab home 40, 81, 380, 84, 90.

Thanks Again, Jack