Nafo 2010 Home Safe Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left at 08:15, hit rain and after 2 hours in the stuff even the Stich let water in. I was cold and soaked and considered stopping in Lexington, VA. Just pushed through it. Met up with Geezer and I think King Fish on the way home they really helped me make it home. 23:45 arrived safe and sound, cold and almost dry. Mike will be cleaned and oil changed today. Total trip was 2400 miles about.

PS Thanks to the team for getting it right even if Bob (Intech) forgets how to use a blinker at times and looses lost travelers. Had a great time. To bad some people missed out on the fun, forgot this is about riding not running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am home safe. It was pretty much an uneventful ride home except for the rain for the first few hours. I got in around 11:30 PM. Paul and I slabbed it up I81 most of the way and met up with Dean somewhere in Virginia. I got sick of the slab and took back roads the last few hours after Paul pealed off near his place. I was worried about deer at that hour, but the only live critter I saw on the road was a small possum which I managed to avoid.

I had a great time, as expected, and look forward to the next gathering. :)

I left at 08:15, hit rain and after 2 hours in the stuff even the Stich let water in. I was cold and soaked and considered stopping in Lexington, VA. Just pushed through it. Met up with Geezer and I think King Fish on the way home they really helped me make it home. 23:45 arrived safe and sound, cold and almost dry. Mike will be cleaned and oil changed today. Total trip was 2400 miles about.

PS Thanks to the team for getting it right even if Bob (Intech) forgets how to use a blinker at times and looses lost travelers. Had a great time. To bad some people missed out on the fun, forgot this is about riding not running.
I hit the blinker as I was peeling over in front of that truck! I had to do it as rider tank was full. Helmet speakers were buzzing! :eek:

Dang it... I had a nice post written up and the "Post" button ate it.

I made it home around 6:30 PM last night. I could have made it quicker but I decided to detour to Chattanooga for a late lunch. While puttering around in the city I followed my nose to a great restaraunt: The Terminal Brewhouse. The food was amazing. If you get a chance to run through there, stop if you can.

https://terminalbrewhouse.com

I had a taste of the Terminally Ale and loved it. Too bad I couldnt have a whole pint. The Nachos were amazing (from the menu description: "Slow cooked maple chipotle roast and our Queso on organic corn chips with onions, jalapeños and diced tomato. Mom never made it like this. Sounds too good to be true, we know."). The Pepper Smashed Steak was some of the best food I have ever had.

For the ride report, I will follow Scoops' example:

Rain... slab... rainy slab... pee... rainy slab... fuel... rainy slab... food (as per above)... rainy slab... hard rain outside of ATL... garage.

Oh, yeah, thanks to DJB for the shirt!

Left at 5AM and made it back to Wentzville, MO by 2PM. Got a ticket in KY for 80 in a 65, gave me a break because I was at 89 when the radar hit me.

As soon as I walked out the door into the parking garage I saw a VA bike with something on the rear tire, as I got closer saw it was a screw - left a note so whoever it was didnt have a flat on the way home - hope they saw the note or the screw and got it fixed.

First of all, thanks to the organizers for their hard work. I know a lot of effort goes into these events and it sometimes takes away from your own fun.

Four of the FL riders headed back at about 6am. After no rain for the entire time (other than the sprinkles pulling into the hotel the Weds. night) rain greeted us not long after leaving the Marriott on the way to Ashville and hung with us for quite a while. Luckily, it was mostly light rain with only one very heavy downpour as we were heading on south I-95. Just when I thought I had the return trip licked, Orlando throws a traffic jam at me near downtown (two lanes closed). So another 15 minute delay to that cold beer :angry: I still made it home in time to eat dinner with the wife and that was my goal.

I racked up about 1900 miles total and the FJR worked flawlessly. As usual, I packed too much crap - when will I ever learn?.

My biggest regret is not taking the time to meet more of the attendees. It's tough to do, though, when those roads are calling you.

On the road by 7:15, rain, more rain, more !@#$%^& rain . . . Tourmaster rainsuit worked as well as my screen door . . . 81N . . . don't want to see another truck for a long, LONG time! Home at 7:15PM. The ride home aside, had a blast! Can't wait for '11.

Left at 5AM and made it back to Wentzville, MO by 2PM. Got a ticket in KY for 80 in a 65, gave me a break because I was at 89 when the radar hit me.

As soon as I walked out the door into the parking garage I saw a VA bike with something on the rear tire, as I got closer saw it was a screw - left a note so whoever it was didnt have a flat on the way home - hope they saw the note or the screw and got it fixed.
That was mine. They were still messing with me. It was just the head of a machine screw.

"The Ride home".....let's see..rain,rain, and even some rain with a few hundred trucks in the mix. :Snorkle: Had a great time, met some great people. See ya next year.

Home by 9:15. Saved Steves life on the bridge.(let him tell you about it). Long day!
It's true, he did, it'll be in my ride report.

Rolled into home around 3 this afternoon. After banging out 3.5 weeks of 500 mile days, the little 250 miler home felt like it took 15 minutes!

Home safe and sound. It rained on me for two days and 880 miles but it couldn't erase the great time I had at NAFO. Thanks to the organizers for a great event! See you in Canada in 2012!!!

home safe at 1700 Sunday with cool temp ride home and occassional rain...yes yes Murphy convinced me to peel away and store my rain gear in Picayune, MS so I could ride through blinding rain on the I-10 twin span bridge across Lake Ponchartrain, but warm temps made it tolerable. All I wanted was the bed, a few wet kisses from the hound dawgs, and a hot meal Sunday night to try to recuperate.

entire trip was great all told. A few kept me buoyed by laughing at my jokes...Izabella did everything I asked of her quite well and reliably...and I didn't have go to jail for kicking off the cliff a bicyclist or two taking up the entire right lane at 15mph before a blind curve as I kicked left and passed at 45 a bit across the double yellow air horn blaring way before and way after. And my guardian angel kept flying fast enough to keep up with me the entire time of the trip.

Dean was very kind and a great guy to room with, besides the generous gift of a free bed, and Michael, Old Pilot, Scott, and mvette made my ride on Friday a very pleasant memory. They looked the other way when "Wrong Way Patriot" pulled out of a scenic overlook on the Cherohala heading the same way we had just came for about 2 miles. They were kind of willing to just knod when I claimed I wanted to ride those sweeping "S" curves twice more. And Bald River Falls was breath taking with a high volume of water flowing.

a big sincere thank you to Heidi, Bob, Sharon, and all who contributed to making the meet possible and enjoyable.

I won't be motivated under any conditions of mounting my Feej beast before Saturday as I enter trip recovery mode.

I must admit and declare that MEM and Scoops are as hot as I pictured them in my dreams. :yahoo:

Left with the other Florida guys (Mark, Dave, & Tony)at 6:22 AM, damn we made good time even in all that rain. Just when we thought we were out of it and took off some of our rain gear we hit the heavest down pour of the entire trip. At least the last 2 hours were dry, & I was almost dry by the time I got home (4:20 PM) just north of St. Augustine. We all made it home safely even if we got a little wet, okay a lot wet and early on, cold. Well at least the bugs all got washed off. Looking forward to 2011 EOM since I'll know more than no one. Thanks to the organizers had an enjoyable meet. Best to all.

Tim

My paddle shifter is in the barn at 19:45 Monday September 27th, 2010.

Unlike many others I had a dry run on Sunday so I must have left just before the skies opened up. Tom (Huron52), Pam & Andy (BikerGeek) hunted me down and I rode up to Cincinnati

with the entire group. At that point Tom & Pam continued up I75 and BikerGeek & I continued on to Columbus making a stop at Iron Pony...

1025167954_5Sypp-L.jpg

That is one big motorcycle shop. Lots of cool stuff. The Arai helmets were much less expensive than back home.

Parked the bike Sunday night in Canton OH and then made a short trek in the morning over to Duane's shop, Premier Motorcycle Accessories. Owen from Newcastle, Ontraio was already there getting some work done on his Starcom unit which was the reason I wanted to stop in since I wanted one. After a little troubleshooting and pairing my iPhone to Owen's Zumo it was determined there was nothing wrong with the Starcom or the Zumo. It was Owen's crappy phone. Owen got his phone because some Internet forum said that was the best phone to use with the Zumo. Don't believe anything you read on the Internet.

Owen and I then paired up and rode back to the Great White North via Buffalo. The weather in Buffalo was quite good by Buffalo standards, it wasn't snowing. I have freinds that I ski with who live in Buffalo and their opioion on the weather is that if you don't have to shovel it, it's good!!.

We were greeted back to Canada by the rain and just about got collected by a pickup truck when the fool infront of the truck breaked hard for no apparent reason on the QEW. I know know my ABS is functioning.

When we left the duty-free store at the bridge I had some concerns regarding the time we were going to hit Toronto traffic. I made a suggestion after clearing customs (it went very smoothly, all of 30 seconds) that we grab a coffee at Tim Horton's. Once you get into Canada you can see the next Tim Horton's from the one you are in. Owen figured that if we hit Toronto after 18:00 we might catch some of the later rush hour but we should be OK. I had my doubts.

It all went amok at Burlington. There was a wreak at the Third Line in Oakville and it was first & second gear for the next two hours in the rain. It SUCKED!!!!!!!! Did I mention I hate Toronto traffic. Did I mention Toronto traffic is rated as one of the worst in the world. Did I mention that if given the chance I would take a D9 Cat and push Toronto into Lake Ontario. This is why every Canadian hates Toronto. There is no getting from here to there. I would rather have someone pull my toenails out with a pair of pliers than ride through Toronto.

We finally got it done. I cannot say enough good things about my Rukka Airvision riding gear. Even in these nasty conditions I stayed dry. It may be expensive but it does work as advertised which cannot be said for a lot of the foul weather gear out there.

After dealing with the nightmare that is Toronto traffic I lined up my choices of refreshment to calm the nerves...

1025168263_Cq6EX-L.jpg

Red Rose Tea - Only in Canada? Pity. Will warm you up but really didn't have the mellowing effect I was looking for.

Make her a Laker? I need something of a higher octane rating.

Crown Royal Rye Whiskey.... YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

OK, so here is the final stats for the NAFO trip...

1025169093_78zpG-L.jpg

Finally, as stated earlier by others many thanks to the NAFO organizers, Heidi, Bob, Sharon and the rest of the crew for a great event. As an organizer of off-road events I know the work that goes into putting an event like this together and I sincerely appreciate everyone's effort. Thank You and see you in the Canadian Maritimes for CFR 2011.

Gary (Toophast) and I took the slow way home. We went east of Knottsville into the Mtns and up through Shady valley and 421. Stayed the night in Bristol and went back to 421 and then to 58 east. I had trouble on 421 because I tried to change the channel on the XM with gloves through the stylish ziplock raincover. It got stuck on religous music and I was in fear of spontaneous combustion. The fog on 58 after Galax sucked bigtime, Gary decided not to go on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Got home @ 9pm. My Tourmaster pants also leaked?

"That was mine. They were still messing with me. It was just the head of a machine screw." He shoots, he scores!

(I think it was Mark Bottoms idea)

12.5 hour slog home. Got in at 8:15 PM. Rain most of the way. the slab down sucked so bad I was determined not to do it again. Just took 81 north far enough to pick up 58 east. Took 58 all the way to S. Boston. Was interesting in many spots with rain, wet leaves, and 54 degree temperatures. Had a great time. It was great to meet some new folks and reconnect with friends. Glad that everyone had a good time.

Made it home tonight ! 1050 miles.... just slab :-( Bob, you got a nail in your front tire..... Peace out ! ;-P