NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing that's undecided in my mind is this: Big Banana Roadcrafter, or ventilated pants and jacket? Colorado can generate some serious chill in the early and late evenings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing that's undecided in my mind is this: Big Banana Roadcrafter, or ventilated pants and jacket? Colorado can generate some serious chill in the early and late evenings.
When I rode to CO in 2013, I wore my old 1pc Roadcrafter...never regretted it for a second, partly for the reason you cite. Wearing my newer R3 this time.

I'll probably be in free-flow mesh jacket and pants. But I will have the jacket/pants internal rain liners with me. Can't even entertain the idea of wearing a non-mesh outfit for 14 hours across the heartland at 102F. That could = heat stroke. We could see some early or late day temps as low as the high 40's. Wundermap right now is showing 45F to 50F at altitude around the Silverton area so be prepared for that.

I haven't officially decided whether I am going full mesh and take wind an warmth layers or wear the Klim. Temperatures between here and there are screaming MESH!!

I haven't officially decided whether I am going full mesh and take wind an warmth layers or wear the Klim. Temperatures between here and there are screaming MESH!!
On my trip to and from CA, I wore the KLIM; with the vents open at speed I was very comfortable. Not great, but not overheating.

I also have one of those Mission EnduraCool things I soak and put around my neck inside the collar of the jacket. And drink lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of water.

You'll bring both warm AND cold gear if you're smart. It can definately get chilly at 12,000 or even 14,000' if you're doing Pike's.

On my trip to and from CA, I wore the KLIM; with the vents open at speed I was very comfortable. Not great, but not overheating.

I also have one of those Mission EnduraCool things I soak and put around my neck inside the collar of the jacket. And drink lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of water.
Keep in mind that I have 4000 miles of pretty hot flat lands to cover between here and the Rockies.

I have a similar cooling scarf, LDComfort cooling sleeves and installed a Garauld hydration kit, so I may just opt for the Klim. The pants will be mesh regardless. If I get cold in the lower half the heated RDL can take care of that.

I in...heading out with James on Wednesday to Colorado springs.Thursday morning going up Pikes Peak then to Montrose

I in...heading out with James on Wednesday to Colorado springs.Thursday morning going up Pikes Peak then to Montrose
2nd post and he is in for NAFO....nice!

P.S. FNG's get to but the first 3 rounds just because we love FNG's
wink.png

Heat wave starting in the west next week. Dang, I may have to turn the ac up on the way out in the Expedition.
cold.gif

Keep in mind that I have 4000 miles of pretty hot flat lands to cover between here and the Rockies.

I have a similar cooling scarf, LDComfort cooling sleeves and installed a Garauld hydration kit, so I may just opt for the Klim. The pants will be mesh regardless. If I get cold in the lower half the heated RDL can take care of that.
Yeah...I would hate to be in your seat across IN, IL, IA, NE...or if you opt for the "southern route" thru MO and KS... no relief there either.

On the road, first stop Fallon, NV for the night. 8:30 and 90 degrees, gonna be a long hot ride to Colorado tomorrow

wink.png

Heat wave starting in the west next week. Dang, I may have to turn the ac up on the way out in the Expedition.
cold.gif
BUY. He meant to say BUY.

And it's 4 rounds. :)

wink.png

cold.gif
BUY. He meant to say BUY.

And it's 4 rounds.
smile.png
Thanks Mike, oldtimers is catching up to me.

Today is Thursday, don't leave till Tuesday.
Why in the H. E. Double Hockey sticks am I packing for the road now.
hyper.gif
Because you like being prepared?

I'm packed already. Just need to;

Wait for new 90* valve stems to arrive, give them to tire changing person

Wait for new tires to be mounted/balanced

Lube the rear shaft

Lube the rear pumpkin where the wheel mates up

Put the rear wheel on

Put the front wheel on

Oil Change

Go scuff up the new tires...

Packing was the easy part...

wink.png

cold.gif
All the rounds you want...I can find a rocky mountain goat along the way.... and you can see how much Coors light you can milk from it.
shout.gif