NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you guys have to wait so long to get to CO. The temps are beautiful up here, though we've been skirtin' the rogue, random downpour here and there. Hit Cortez yesterday afternoon and missed a good shower earlier. It was a nice balmy 80 when we arrived. Further north between Delores and Telluride they had gusher yesterday and an ensuing mudslide (no pun intended). We were unaware until we headed north on 145 today and had to wait briefly at numerous construction sites while they cleaned the mud off the road. That should be taken care of within a day or two before most get here but there were still many other road projects going on that look like they will be ongoing. So expect the normal summer projects and normal summer traffic but there are still plenty of hidden gems with little to no traffic to whet everyone's appetite. See you all soon!!

Nice! I am sitting in Fruita Colorado getting ready to head off to Highway 65, Highway 92, to Highway 50 in the Colorado Springs

I will be in a Roadcrafter. I invested in a Veskimo personal cooling system. Here in Maryland today is a heat index of 105 or 97 and sticky! The Veskimo is a mesh vest with tubes like NASA suits. The tank a with a pump sits on the back with ice and water. As all pump circulates the cool water through the vest. You can turn the pump off if you get too cool. After setting up the power for the pump I went for a ride. It is pretty awesome, stopping at lights you don't cook.

Should make the trip across the plains much more comfortable. I have a mesh suit but the Roadcrafter even without the Veskimo would be my choice.

Any way to make that pump work for ahh,...... other parts of the body?
mda.gif

Well. it WOULD take your mind off the weather.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Russperry and I rolled in mid afternoon in time to recon the blm office maps and a run to Home Depot for some hardware. Then as we were walking to some chow we were accosted by guy driving a nice big ford van full of ktm's. Only Smitty has a van full of well prepared bikes... Too cool. FJRPilot ...John joined us 3 for a real nice dinner, drinks on the patio and dirt bike ride planning for Tuesday.

My truck had a fan belt tensioner start chattering Saturday enroute to nafo, my son and I are taking the long way around to do some sightseeing. So I pm'd BigJohnSD to see what kind of repair shop options might be available in his area to where I wouldn't get gouged and he offered me the choice of some recommended shops in his area or even the use of his garage to let me do the repair myself. I haven't been in the forum that long, but I keep reading posts on how folks in here step up to the plate with a helping hand when the need arises. Yesterday I had a personal taste of that with John, the folks in this forum are just awesome. While I'd definitely pass the karma along when the need arises, it's still cool to me to have these kinds of experiences with quality people. Thanks again John, I look forward to sharing some miles with you at nafo.

Well life has a way of getting in the way. I will be not attending this event, my son has been in the hospital for the past few days, and will be here for a minimum of three more. More if surgery becomes necessary, but we are trying to avoid that now.

Sorry to miss this one, I was really looking forward to it.

I have cancelled my reservation at the Holiday Inn, so if anyone was needing a King room, one just opened up.

Well life has a way of getting in the way. I will be not attending this event, my son has been in the hospital for the past few days, and will be here for a minimum of three more. More if surgery becomes necessary, but we are trying to avoid that now.

I have cancelled my reservation at the Holiday Inn, so if anyone was needing a King room, one just opened up.
Good dads make for good kids.
rolleyes.gif
There's always next year.

Well life has a way of getting in the way. I will be not attending this event, my son has been in the hospital for the past few days, and will be here for a minimum of three more. More if surgery becomes necessary, but we are trying to avoid that now.Sorry to miss this one, I was really looking forward to it.

rolleyes.gif
+1

rolleyes.gif
Gunny!

Sooze and I are gonna be heading out in a bit, hopefully before 6:00.

Should be an interesting ride out - I haven't ridden in aboot two months, not since I sprained my cankle and broke a bone in my right foot. The FJR started last night, so that's good, and I changed the erl last time I rode it, so that's good. And, oh, yeah - it's gonna be hotter'n hell and humid as, um, well, something, for the entire 2+ days, so, yeah... Should be interesting.

Smell you'ns'all in Montrose on Thursday.

Sorry to hear that Brandon. Best of luck with your son's progress. We'll be thinking of you.

Knocked out close to 200 miles in the high country with Russ and John on the dual sports today. Had to put on the rain liner to keep warm on 550 above Ouray while waiting for a little road work, ahh life is good. Ophir pass was amazing plus above Teluride was such a fun ride above 10-11,000 feet. Good thing I left my camera at the hotel, damnit.

We're up north today. We rode 119, 72 and 7 through Nederland and Estes from Central City. 72 is turning in to one fine piece of asphalt. They are finishing up the paving as we speak so in a week or two you CO folks can run on some brand new pavement there. We continued on east from Estes to County Rd 27 and went north to 14 then west all the way to Steamboat Springs for the night. That was my second time on 27 and it is awesome. Twisty country road with zero traffic. Also very scenic, if you like country scenery. Today's ride wore my ass out, trying to keep pace with Cooley and my son.

Knocked out close to 200 miles in the high country with Russ and John on the dual sports today. Had to put on the rain liner to keep warm on 550 above Ouray while waiting for a little road work, ahh life is good. Ophir pass was amazing plus above Teluride was such a fun ride above 10-11,000 feet. Good thing I left my camera at the hotel, damnit.
Gotcha covered Doug. Check this shot of you & Russ out as we descended from Ophir Pass! What a ride!

And Last Dollar Road from Telluride to Ridgeway was also a very special treat! The overlook you spotted about 6 miles into that trail was phenomenal!!! That guy we met at the gas station in Ouray on the BMW/KLR really steered us right! More fun tomorrow!!