NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a valuable tip: ride the MDH souhbound. The northbound lane looks over a gazillion-foot drop and there is very little guardrail. In some spots -- and I'm not shitting you -- the white stripe at the edge of the highway had broken off and fell those gazillion feet to the canyon floor.

Southbound bikers like us only had to worry about leaning too far in right-hand curves and bonking our helmets on the vertical rock face inches beyond our edge of highway.
I think you got that backwards. Ride it northbound like we did if sheer drop offs and crumbling pavement give you the willies.
Ahh, the MDH. I believe the first time I experienced it was during the first NAFO here in Colorado (Golden). I signed up for the Iron Butt ride instead of the BBQ. It was quite a ride and part of it was from Silverton to Grand Junction via MDH. I have the SS1k ride on my photo site - click link on my sig line if interested. There were 25 FJRs and me on my GL1800 with a brand new Darkside tire on my bike. No other brands or models represented.The first checkpoint was at the top of Mount Evans right at dawn. I'd have to say that leg was scarier than the MDH. There were goats on the narrow highway (if you can call it that) and we were going back down the road with the sunrise in our face.

Later on, after Durango, we hit Silverton and the start of the MDH. I'd say it was a lot like Deal's Gap (the Dragon), except for thousand foot drops instead of trees lining the road. Much better view on MDH :)

A couple of years later I attended a Super Tenere rally in Ouray CO, mostly because I bought an S10 and rode it for a while. Didn't care for it all that much - Wing and FJR much better for touring IMHO. The rally was at the KOA in Ouray (real nice place) and I was just a casual observer. While there I rode the MDH a couple of times down to Silverton, mainly because that was the way to get there and back. White knuckle riding if one thinks about it too much and I think I did. I enjoy tamer sweepers where I can relax a bit.

So anyway, that's my story about the Million Dollar Highway. Hope the wx cools down a bit out there and everyone has a great time and stays safe.

How did it get onto my coolio NAFO shirt? Somebody must have made it for the embroidery folks. (And wasn't that you, 0Face?)

Last edited by a moderator:
How did it get onto my coolio NAFO shirt? Somebody must have made it for the embroidery folks. (And wasn't that you, 0Face?)

Yep. But I thought somebody would make a graphic for signatures. I didn't think about shrinking the shirt graphic. That was smart. Me, I guess not so much.

OK folks. I HAVE EXTRA SHIRTS LED OVER FROM NAFO. ALL XL I think. The problem is we did not order extra shirts. We started handing them our before we had the printout,so we couldn't mark them off.

If you ordered a shirt and didn't get it, please get with me. I'll only hold onto them for a finite amount of time. Then I may send them to Marty or Wayne, or maybe I'll just send them to Goodwill. I think the one guy who ordered a shirt and couldn't make it got his, so that's not an issue.

Regardless, please get with me quickly.

OK EVERYONE, THIS IS MY LAST COMMUNICATION ABOUT THIS. I HAVE TWO XL SHIRTS LEFT. IF ONE OF THEM BELONGS TO YOU, YOU HAVE UNTIL 0800 MST TO CLAIM IT. THEN THEY ARE GETTING SENT AWAY TO BE AUCTIONED OFF.

DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME 4 MONTHS FROM NOW THAT YOU NEVER GOT YOUR SHIRT. THIS IS AT LEAST THE 5TH MESSAGE I HAVE SENT ABOUT ABOUT THE SAME THING.

After 0800 on 08/30/16, these are gone...AND, I was yelling up there on purpose.

Thanks Greggie, for helping to keep Cali roads in tip-top shape!
smile.png

Edit: Oops! Forgot this was a CO ticket. Your "points on CA DL TBD" threw me off. Well thanks for keeping CO's roads tip-top.

All things considered, $205 isn't too bad. Still sucks though. Did you do this through mail, phone, how? You didn't go back did you?

Greg was sweating bullets just this weekend in LaPine over this, so I think $205 definitely qualifies as a happy ending. I think you were sweating out jail time, weren't you? Geez, dude, you done good. Glad to hear it.

Mike, I think the violation was in a category that covers a range of offences and the max penilaty was 90 days in jail and a $300 fine. I sucked a little cotton outta my chair when the Judge explained that part! I think he knew I was a little freaked out, and let me know that was the maximum​ I could get, and quickly let me know that it was going to be points and a fine.

AJ, I sent a request for a phone appearance and it was granted. Judge, DA and me. Judge states the charge, asked the DA if I was eligible for reduction, DA confirmed I was and there you go. Took all of 5 minutes. Nice guy actually.

I asked if I could take a class to avoid the points, and they said no. I checked the CA DMV website, and you cannot take the class if you have to appear to resolve your ticket, I will look to see if this is true for CO, I think it is.

Moral of the story, if you are on a section of highway and it is posted for 45MPH, you can bet your ass there is a radar gun up ahead!

'Effing cops in Colorado are taking all the fun out of the place. Lol...

What happened with the other fat ticket? I don't remember who that was.

LEO's.......Sheese

I have been in contact with the other winner, I'll let him post up if he wants too.