NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon, that's ugly news. I truly hope your son is ok.

C and I left Albuquerque at noon today and made the 6 hour ride in 8 hours. Lunch, construction and heat added to our time. We're here now and crashing out. We'll do something decent tomorrow. You all ride/drive carefully. There are a TON of deer out around here.

Ok....On request, I spent an hour arguing, and losing the argument with the Business Center's computers this morning. People are asking for routes. I remembered when WFO in Moscow had maps printed and available on the registration table. I tried to get maps with routes built, and the flaky connection compounded with a poor printer kicked that idea in the nuts.

Part of the problem is I've never really been good at making routes, and I have no idea how to build routes andpad them into a GPS. I like paper maps, and then probably do it the hard way, but it works for me.

What I realized during my time is how close we are to some fun routes.

1: Ride north to Delta, then to Hotchkiss. Take 92 south towards Crawford and Gunnison. A few miles into 92, and you'll realize why so many of us like that road. Don't overcook a turn, because that's not hard to do. Stop at the lookouts. Ride down into the Black Canyon. When you're done with that, set your GPS for Cimarron. It will take you to almost Gunnison and then the 25 miles back to the hotel.

That's a 2.5 hour ride, before stops.

2: Take that above route and instead of going to Cimarron, rode through Gunnison and burn over Monarch Pass over to Poncha Springs. Then ride back through Cimarron.

Don't know how long that will take, but with a lunch stop, a good part of the day. Fun ride though.

3: Rode over to Telluride. Ride south on 550, then west on 62. At the intersection with 145, turn south. Telluride is close. Hell, ride last that and over to Durango. If you do Durango, the day will be a few hours. Taking 550 straight up is the fast way back: 111 miles and a lot of slow road. Durango to Montrose is 3 hours, easy. Also, be careful at the construction zone. They are assholes and don't like motorcycles if you cut in line....Ask me how I know.

4: Ride to Aspen and Independence Pass. Ride. North from the hotel to Delta. Take 133 through Hotchkiss to Carbondale. 133 is a blast! From Carbondale, ride east on 82 over to Aspen. If you want to ride Independence Pass, set your GPS for Twin Lakes. TL is east of the top of the pass, so, it's your call. 2.5 hours to Aspen, and probably another 45 minutes, maybe less, to Independence Pass. Eat in Aspen at the Aspen Hickory House. It's on the route and good BBQ.

That's it for now. Gotta shower and head out for a bit. See you guys around 1430 +/-

Just passing through Montrose. Good to see familiar faces and lots of FJRs. Will swap a DRZ400 ride with somebody. :)

Just passing through Montrose. Good to see familiar faces and lots of FJRs. Will swap a DRZ400 ride with somebody. :)

I came from Pueblo to Montrose on highway 50 today. Be aware there is road construction on 50 in at least 2 places between the dam west of Gunnison and Montrose. One had await of about 5 minutes and the other was about 30 minutes. Traffic was heavy. A third site had quit for the day.

I plan to ride to Delta Hotchkis the dam on 92 but backtrack and not come into Montrose on 50 at all. 50 from the dam to Gunnison is ok and seeing the Pallisades is worth the ride.

Out riding with Bob. It's a great day!

Resized_20160729_094141.jpg

Went to a Concours get together many years ago in Frisco Col. There were what they called "pass bagger routes" printed up for those interested.

Things weren't going well for me on the ride up yesterday. I was flying solo and not getting along with the desert heat. I decided to go with what I'm told is way better judgement than I normally exercise. Got myself a room in Mesquite around noon, drank lots of water/Gatoraide and took a nap. I turned it back towards home after the sun went down and things got a little cooler.

Man, I wish I were there..... keep the stories and pictures coming.

Things weren't going well for me on the ride up yesterday. I was flying solo and not getting along with the desert heat. I decided to go with what I'm told is way better judgement than I normally exercise. Got myself a room in Mesquite around noon, drank lots of water/Gatoraide and took a nap. I turned it back towards home after the sun went down and things got a little cooler.
So glad you made the right choice, very smart recognizing the problem and acting responsibly. Better to regret not getting there and back home safe as to a possible disastrous outcome.

Looking forward to the stories and pictures too!

ATTENTION:

There is now an Agenda in the lobby. If you need to know what's going on, go take a look. If you can't go take a look, look below:

20160729_184646.jpg

PLEASE NOTE THE MEET AND GREET AT DAVIS SERVICE CENTER TOMORROW MORNING, SATURDAY 07/30:

0900 AT 2380 E. MAIN ST. MONTROSE COLORADO

E. MAIN IS HWY 50 HEADING TOWARDS GUNNISON, SSOUTH SIDE OF ROAD.

SHIRTS:

We have shirts that are being shunned by their owners. We have ONE large and TWO extra large shirts left. We did not over order, so if you ordered a shirt, please speak up. IF ONE OF US HAVE TO TAKE THESE HOME, THERE WILL BE A SHIPPING CHARGE + TIME AND ENERGY SURCHARGE FOR HAVING TO TAKE OUR ASSES TO THE POST OFFICE. IF YOU ORDERED ONE, COME GET IT.

1. Got my shirt; thanks.

2. Great ride in yesterday ... a short parade of 4 FJRs and a black Spyder. Frisco to Buena Vista, Independence Pass to Aspen, turning south in Carbondale on 133 (?).

It was really hot when we came down off the mesa for the last hour into Montrose. "It's a dry heat." So is your oven. Stick you hand in there and see how it feels.

3. Great ride today, too! Telluride (to the end of the pavement and a little beyond), then Durango and Purgatory (a great ski area), and the Million Dollar Highway as the high point.

Here's a valuable tip: ride the MDH souhbound. The northbound lane looks over a gazillion-foot drop and there is very little guardrail. In some spots -- and I'm not shitting you -- the white stripe at the edge of the highway had broken off and fell those gazillion feet to the canyon floor.

Southbound bikers like us only had to worry about leaning too far in right-hand curves and bonking our helmets on the vertical rock face inches beyond our edge of highway.

TM, JOHN (TellurideFJR), LEE (LeeDavis), And Jeff (HAULINfrickingASHE) come get your stuff. We have your lanyards and there is still some registration SWAG. The table is now closed.

Just saw this, I've been bugging some guy that must have an old cell # I have for you. Glad everything is ok.

Here's a valuable tip: ride the MDH souhbound. The northbound lane looks over a gazillion-foot drop and there is very little guardrail. In some spots -- and I'm not shitting you -- the white stripe at the edge of the highway had broken off and fell those gazillion feet to the canyon floor.

Southbound bikers like us only had to worry about leaning too far in right-hand curves and bonking our helmets on the vertical rock face inches beyond our edge of highway.
I think you got that backwards. Ride it northbound like we did if sheer drop offs and crumbling pavement give you the willies.

I think you got that backwards. Ride it northbound like we did if sheer drop offs and crumbling pavement give you the willies.
Yes, I'm pretty certain Northbound is a happier feeling for those of us who get spooked by looong drop offs.

Yes, I'm pretty certain Northbound is a happier feeling for those of us who get spooked by looong drop offs.
I agree with the northbound route being the best because it allows one a chance to pull off the road onto what sliver of gravel to get the optimum photo op.

392174406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me'eh, it was a piece of cake. ;) wonderful ride and the view from the top was beautiful,.sign say you an see for 170 miles. Longest view in north America.

Sorry to hear that. Past few years I've become heat intolerant (mainly age related I think), so my Wing stays mainly in the man cave - poor thing. You definitely did the right thing by getting off the road IMHO.

Latest posts