Nafo Announced

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
As announced at WFO-6:

Representatives met from WFO, CFO, EOM, SFO, and CFR and in 2008 there will be a NAFO!

As in an international North American FJR Owners meeting....probably in Denver....probably in the end of July. There are many months that things need to be planned and figured out first.

TwoWheelNut will reprise his roll and be the rallymaster for NAFO. Because of this huge undertaking WFO itself will be NAFO. WFO staff will work along side other regional gathering staff so that the following year or other year will then have NAFO hosted by another regional organization.

And we're calling it North American and not National because it's so important and apparent that Canadian involvement in these gathering is so spectacular.

So, start planning to block out your last weekend of July 2008 to come to the next evolution of FJR gathering.

[SIZE=14pt]EDIT: The dates for NAFO are now July 10-13, 2008[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I can't believe we just put WFO-6 to bed and now we are hot onto NAFO-1! :blink:

Thanks to all who are PMing me to volunteer for NAFO, but I want to ask all of you to hold off just now. We do have some carry-over from this year's staff and I need to involve some specific individuals and then I'll plead for help to fill out the team. Further, thanks for all the venue suggestions! We have some really great choices!

Right now, our main concern is choice of venue and I *think* we might just have a bidding situation develop between a couple of properties. Cool, eh?
iconcool5lw.gif
Hotels scrambling for our business v. us chasing them?

Anywho, stay tuned and look for updates as we proceed with the planning of NAFO-1!

- TWN (El Jefe)

I like the idea of having NAFO on even-numbered (no Iron Butt Rally) years, and all the regional gatherings on the odd-numbered ones. That way, people aren't stretched too thin trying to organize/get to two summertime events, or having to decide between one or the other. [HINT] We're not all on an unlimited budget here....[/HINT]

It would also pump up the NAFO attendance, being the only game in town, so to speak. If we want 500 or more bikes, IMHO, that would be the way to do it. As I recall, WFO-6 was only about ten bikes bigger than WFO-5, even though hundreds more FJR's were sold out West in the interim.

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying....

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying that I'd like to volunteer as WFO-7 Rally Master....
Why, thank you, Bob! That's a hella commitment! :grin:

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying that I won't be there....
There. Fixed it for you, with my original thought, before discretion caused me to leave a door open.

Do we really think that WFO-6 attendance was severely impacted by the IBR? How many people didn't come to Park City because they were involved in the Iron Butt? Can't be more than a dozen in my mind.

I like the idea of having NAFO on even-numbered (no Iron Butt Rally) years, and all the regional gatherings on the odd-numbered ones. That way, people aren't stretched too thin trying to organize/get to two summertime events, or having to decide between one or the other. [HINT] We're not all on an unlimited budget here....[/HINT]
It would also pump up the NAFO attendance, being the only game in town, so to speak. If we want 500 or more bikes, IMHO, that would be the way to do it. As I recall, WFO-6 was only about ten bikes bigger than WFO-5, even though hundreds more FJR's were sold out West in the interim.

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying....

I think Toecutter is onto something here...atleast for the inaugural NAFO.

Do we really think that WFO-6 attendance was severely impacted by the IBR?
Not at all, but planning was affected, due to people who were organizing WFO also being instrumental in the IB Rally. Contrarily, most of the FJR owners who were chosen to be in the Iron Butt Rally were in attendance at WFO.

I think it would just be easier on all to run our "big event" on alternating years, and not compete against ourselves with regional and national meets on the same year, while leaving the LD folks with no other irons in the fire on Rally years.

Win/Win, IMO....

Previous disclaimer still applies.

Do we really think that WFO-6 attendance was severely impacted by the IBR?
Not at all, but planning was affected, due to people who were organizing WFO also being instrumental in the IB Rally. Contrarily, most of the FJR owners who were chosen to be in the Iron Butt Rally were in attendance at WFO.

I think it would just be easier on all to run our "big event" on alternating years, and not compete against ourselves with regional and national meets on the same year, while leaving the LD folks with no other irons in the fire on Rally years.

Win/Win, IMO....

Previous disclaimer still applies.
I think this discussion deserves it's own thread, so I started one here.

Do we really think that WFO-6 attendance was severely impacted by the IBR? How many people didn't come to Park City because they were involved in the Iron Butt? Can't be more than a dozen in my mind.
Yep, two different events. IBA has there own needs for planning and I guarantee you that WFO-6 wasn't even a blip bigger the size pimple on a gnats ass on their radar - and rightfully so. That big ol' honkin' BMW meet goes on as does the Hoot and similar events. You can't tie schedules around someone else's gigs. I'm sure those who wish to partake in multiple events will find a way. Those who can't (or won't) need to make a choice. Simple, really.

""I think it would just be easier on all to run our "big event" on alternating years, and not compete against ourselves with regional and national meets on the same year, while leaving the LD folks with no other irons in the fire on Rally years. ""

This is a capital idea!!! Great thinking, Bob!

anything is good as long as we get together

Move NAFO around and keep it annual, keep regional events. Add regional events so they are smaller in geography and attendance and easier to schedule/coordinate, but each year NAFO should look to share space with at least one of the regional events.

Will I got NAFO when it is in Georgia? Yep.

Calgary? Yep.

Niagra? Yep

Key West? Sure.

Arkansas? Hell yeah.

Vancouver? Yeppers.

Fargo? You bet cha.

If'n we don't all go, that's cool by me, but next year is WFO/NAFO and it's gonna have a minimum of 500 so put that in your pipe and ingest it with scampi. (healthier than smoking it).

Move NAFO around and keep it annual, keep regional events. Add regional events so they are smaller in geography and attendance and easier to schedule/coordinate, but each year NAFO should look to share space with at least one of the regional events.

Calgary? Yep.

Niagra? Yep

Key West? Sure.

Arkansas? Hell yeah.

Vancouver? Yeppers.

Fargo? You bet cha.

If'n we don't all go, that's cool by me, but next year is WFO/NAFO and it's gonna have a minimum of 500 so put that in your pipe and ingest it with scampi. (healthier than smoking it).
Hear, Hear. A grand idea.

Who from the EOM group was on this committee? In talking with many here at EOM, RIGHT NOW!. we would like to seee another EOM. Last time I knew, there wasn't a structured leadership group for EOM. Just a lot of good people, who have the time to setup a great rally. I hope to see more EOM's in the future.

Calgary? Yep.

Niagra? Yep

Key West? Sure.

Arkansas? Hell yeah.

Vancouver? Yeppers.

Fargo? You bet cha.

Add Florida to the list, I'd like to meet Brundog. :lol:

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying that I'd like to volunteer as WFO-7 Rally Master....
Why, thank you, Bob! That's a hella commitment! :grin:
This is evidence of why TWN is El Jefe. There will be no shortage of volunteers with press-gang techniques like this.

Jill