SFO 2017 - Input requested

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
****Edit****

And the winner is.......

Jemison, AL (essentially the same set up as last year - camp at my place and hotel at Clanton Inn, BBQ dinner, shrimp boil, live music, etc....)

Oct. 26th thru October 29th - this is the same weekend as last year. Although it was a little warm for our friends from the North, that was very unusually warm weather for us for that time of the year. Actually, we could just as easily have low 50's and rain at that time. So, it's some what of a crap shoot, but historically it's one of the driest times of the year for us. It worked out well last year, hopefully it will for us again this year.

See post #14 in this thread for more info.

The Official SFO 2017 thread will be started later. Until then, use this thread for comments, suggestions, etc....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original post follows:

It seems it was just yesterday that Mrs. Bandit and I were waving goodbye to the last of the riders to depart from SFO 2016. But, keeping in mind that some people need to request vacation months in advance I wanted to try and get something locked down for this year. I thought I would throw it out there for some input before moving forward with the plan for this year.

The consensus at SFO back in October was that we would do a redo in 2017. First of all, let me say, that is fine with me. This post in no way should be interpreted that I don't want to host again. If everyone wants to line it up and have a repeat of 2016 in Alabama, I'm game. But my thinking is we kick around dates and also a couple of alternatives to Jemison. Here are five options I have considered, I would appreciate constructive comments.

Keep in mind, when commenting on the dates that CFO/MOFO is already scheduled for September 1st thru 4th in Jefferson City, Missouri and EOM is scheduled for September 28th thru Oct 1st in Wytheville, VA.

If we are going to have SFO in Alabama again this year, I have three different weekends to choose from, with my perceived pros and cons for each.

Jemison, AL (essentially the same set up as last year - camp at my place and hotel at Clanton Inn, BBQ dinner, shrimp boil, live music, etc....) on either of the three following weekends:

September 14-17th - This is the weekend of the MotoAmerica Races at Barber. I view this as a pro, while others might consider it a con because they want to ride, not go watch someone ride. The races at Barber are cool and don't necessarily consume the whole day. Plus, the weather at this time of the year is generally perfect.

October 5th thru 8th - This is the weekend of the Vintage Festival at Barber. I view this as a major pro, while, again, others might consider it a con because they want to ride, not go watch someone ride. The Vintage Festival is Barber's largest draw of the year and as many of you already know it's just a fabulous event. Plus, the weather at this time of the year is also generally perfect. The con I see is that it is the week following EOM, but some of you might be able to swing throwing both meets into the mix back to back.

Oct. 26th thru October 29th - this is the same weekend as last year. Although it was a little warm for our friends from the North, that was very unusually warm weather for us for that time of the year. Actually, we could just as easily have low 50's and rain at that time. So, it's some what of a crap shoot, but historically it's one of the driest times of the year for us. It worked out well last year, I'm all for it again this year if that is what everyone wants to do.

The other two options I was thinking would be either the Smokey Mountains on the weekend of the coming Great American Eclipse - which would be August 18th thru 21st. I am already planning on being there and will be staying in a cabin just outside Knoxville at the really cool Windrock Park. We could have it there, plenty of camping and right now plenty of cabins. I'm not sure how much of a host I could be - but the eclipse is going to epic and I'm sure we can manage. We'd be in the prime riding area east of the Mississippi. Cons - It will likely still be warm, as we are in the South and it is still August. Thoughts????

The last option is take SFO back to it's roots in Arkansas, either September 14-17th or Oct. 12th thru 15th. It's not a well kept secret that I love riding in Arkansas. So, if you guys (and ladies) would prefer that we return SFO to Arkansas in 2017 then I'm game for that too. I would think we'd just stay at The Hub again, or possibly in Eureka Springs. By the way, the Fayettville Bikes, Blues and BBQ rally is set for Sept. 20th thru 23rd. We damn sure don't want to be anywhere near those roads during that all out tractor parade.

In either of the last two options, there will be no pre-arranged dinners. Everyone will be on their on, it will be ride, eat, drink beer, sleep and repeat. At Windrock we would have access to outdoor grilling and those of us in cabins can host cook outs as well.... at The Hub, they have a nice restaurant onsite that serves dinner Thursday thru Saturday night and a couple of adult beverage stores one mile up the road. So both of these options would be very laid back and more of a "you're on your own" event although we would all be there together.

Let's kick it around here for a week or two and then we'll lock it down, whatever the decision may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm game for whatever. lol. I hope to show up wherever it is.

I like the idea of having an October weekend. Jemison, last weekend of October sounds great. I liked the "non-hotel" atmosphere. But, I was not the one hosting- and I know that can add stress for you and make things hectic.

And maybe others didn't enjoy that set-up so much- pointing towards the ones who did stay at the hotel down the road. I know the campers enjoyed themselves.

September gets a bit crowded with CFO in Missouri, AIM Expo in Ohio, and EOM in Virginia.

Moving it to Arkansas in October could be doable as well.

Like I said- I'm mostly game for whatever. I plan to show up for the people. my 2cents.

Keep up the good work, Turk.
smile.png

If we do it at your place again that will be fine with me. However, Pop and I would rather be workers than riders. Dad told me this weekend that he still feels badly about going riding and leaving you with all that mess to clean up.

I cannot make any promises to be anywhere other than YFO this year but I know that wherever the Bandits are is a good place to be.

Woohoo!!! I've been waiting for this discussion to start!

Personally Arkansas October 12-15

OR Jemison October 26-29

Would be most preferred for me.

But I'm pretty much down for the consensus of everyone. I'll be there wherever or whenever we do it.

Although Jemison is nice and the Bandits have a nice spread and setup it's understandable that if we do SFO elsewhere this year it would be much more relaxing for them.

Its not in the running but I was hoping for a September 21th - 24th SFO so I could combine back to back weekends with EOM the week following. Next best scenario is the late October date although we could be snow and ice bound by then up North requiring hauling the bike at least part ways.

Either of the October dates are good with me -- Tech football has an off weekend and an away game against the defending National Champions. I also have established plans for the eclipse.

Where? Is the AL, MS, TN corner too boring? That would give our out-of-town visitors an opportunity to fill in a few more "visited states", since AR, KY, and LA aren't that far away.

I've got quite a few commitments for vacation already this year. I am hoping to do a Fall bike trip, as usual. I would prefer for one that is later in October in order for the timing to work out.

Any of the locations discussed would be fine. I would also throw out Eastern Kentucky as a nice place with good riding roads and relatively minimal traffic.

Subscribed for sure....

Excellent input - keep the comments coming, guys and ladies. This is exactly what I was looking for. This will help us hone in on the right weekend and location that works for the masses. At this point, clearly, a repeat of last year is leading the way, which was essentially the consensus when we wrapped it up.

Thanks Julie and Nate. I assure you, the Bandits don't mind hosting at all! In fact, Mrs. Bandit mentioned to me yesterday that she would be glad to take vacation that week if necessary (she started back to work a few weeks ago). Plus, I'm hoping to be able to take at least a couple of days off afterwards and be able to join the crew that continues the party afterwards this year. I was just basically out of vacation last year and had just overall bad timing at work.

RFH, please tell Pop to please not feel that way. We had a few trash cans to empty and a fire to light. Hell, the pyro in me found it kinda fun. ;) Plus, we wouldn't have you being "workers" instead of "riders"! If you take your time to come visit us, we'll take care of the rest.

Abercrombie, glad to hear we're getting some Dakota interest. Hope you can make it this year!

Pants and Hud - thanks guys!

Alright, let's hear from some others... then we'll get this thing nailed down in the next week or two so everybody can get it on their calendars.

Aim for October- and I'll be full of stories of adventures. lol. All of us should be by that point....

SFO was the closer of my big trips last year. It was a great finish to a fabulous year. Looking forward to doing it all over again.

But really- I might be able to work with anything.
punk.gif

But I REALLY like the end of October.
hyper.gif

If Turk is putting something on, and I can make it, i am there. It just all depends on the scheduling of the team I help coach. It had to be last minute last year because of playoffs. I dont want to interject my input about SFO because of unknowns.

I will say this, I had so much fun last year at SFO, I will show up anywhere the shin dig goes down.

I have been lurking on this topic until Nate called for more input. I would like to hit Arkansas but that is because I haven't had the opportunity to ride up there before since I was living in CA. I have it on my list of things to do this year either way and I'm like Cav47 that I'm going regardless of where it is held unless I have a scheduling conflict.

OK gang - sounds like late October is the best time for most everyone. I've counted eight on here and know of another two or three that those dates work for them too. I've also talked with Allen, our solo guitarist from last year and asked him to pen in that weekend as well, along with his duo sidekick. So, October 26 thru 29th it shall be.

Expect a similar set up and costs about the same as last year. I'll work on getting the dinners arranged later on in the summer. Camping onsite and shuttle to and from the hotel for those that plan to stay there. I'll also talk with the folks at the Clanton Inn and confirm our group rate. Really no hurry there... I can't imagine it being much different that last year. The main thing is for everyone to be able to go ahead and mark down the dates on your calendars. We'll get the details worked out in due time.

As always, any questions send them my way.

Sounds great. I will be giving this some serious thought although late October could mean hauling the bike out of a snow bound North Dakota. That would make the trip all the better though. I have never ridden motorcycle in AL, MS, FL, GA, SC, or LA so this would make a good excuse to add these states to the states ridden map.

Awesome new Mr. Bandit and count me in unless I actually have to work for a living at that time. I will also sign up to be the DD again this year unless I get real adventurous and decide to camp.

I had a gut feeling last year's gathering shouldn't have been missed but miss it I did. I'm hoping not to make the same mistake again.
no.gif