NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plans have changed. I will be solo for this trip, so no trailer. I plan on leaving on Saturday 7/23 from home. Anyone else leaving around that time and want to hook up along the way? My plan is wide open, so no route planned yet. I just plan to be in Montrose on Thursday 7/27.
Count me in.
Well, I already knew that! I suppose it should have read, "anyone else"!

Also, I think it will shift to a Wednesday arrival. Just contacted my hero Petey to see about hooking up with him along the way.
Still in but you two can do that "hook-up" thing on your own... not my style.
bad.gif

I know, I know...How was that helpful?

Last edited by a moderator:
My plans have changed. I will be solo for this trip, so no trailer. I plan on leaving on Saturday 7/23 from home. Anyone else leaving around that time and want to hook up along the way? My plan is wide open, so no route planned yet. I just plan to be in Montrose on Thursday 7/27.
Count me in.
Also, I think it will shift to a Wednesday arrival. Just contacted my hero Petey to see about hooking up with him along the way.
Whatever!
See, now yer throwin me off there Bob. The canned response is "How is that helpful?"

Count me in.
Whatever!
See, now yer throwin me off there Bob. The canned response is "How is that helpful?"
Who the hell wants to be predictable?

Sorry Janet can't make it!

So far, I'm still IN for NAFO (so long as my neighbor's house doesn't sell too fast...so they can watch my dog, lol). I'd be up for heading out with ya. I had planned to wing it in terms of routing.

Sorry Janet can't make it!

So far, I'm still IN for NAFO (so long as my neighbor's house doesn't sell too fast...so they can watch my dog, lol). I'd be up for heading out with ya. I had planned to wing it in terms of routing.
That would be awesome.

So the other day I'm looking over a couple of potential routes out to NAFO and I see these two disco cowboys on Google Street View:

That gave me a big chuckle. If they're still there next month I'll stop & buy em a beer just for having very good spontaneity
drinks.gif

Hud,I was planning on leaving the Denver area Thursday morning as well. Would love to meet up and ride along if you don't mind. Just let me know where and when to meet you.

Burns1
I'd like to meet up with the Colorado Springs crowd where our routes cross. Google says 2.5 hours from Denver to Poncha Springs, and another 2.5 hours from Poncha Springs to Montrose. Also says 2 hours from Colorado Springs to Poncha Springs.

Stopped in Poncha Springs a couple of times; there's gas and convenience-store food. Can't vouch for anything else.

Tentatively planning to leave Denver about 7-7:30 am. (Traffic? Outbound? That early?) That puts me/us at Poncha Springs around 10 am, and into Montrose around 1-1:30 pm -- even counting for two dozen Tyler photo stops.

Don't misunderstand: I am very cool with two dozen Tyler photo stops.

Given those travel times, we could leave Denver as late as 10 am and still get to Montrose for happy hour. (<---- very important travel requirement)
The plans for the arrival of myself and my pillion are in flux. She hasn't ridden with me since CFO in 2010 maybe? The second time it was in LaCrosse...it's been a while. I'll get the awkward shit out of the way; we're great friends and she likes these motorcycle trips. She's buying a Grom but she's not going to ride that from OH to CO... I called her a wuss and no one should be alarmed if I arrive in Montrose with two black eyes...
not_i.gif

Anyway, we are now thinking of slabbing it from Omahell to Denver Wednesday. Then continuing to Montrose from there. It's not settled yet but I'm leaning towards this plan. it means I'm not riding with a pillion staring into the sun on roads I'm not familiar with and could mean we're with a group of riders. So, I'd like to sign up for this group ride into Montrose. Uncle Hud, I'll PM you my contact info again and maybe we can discuss where you're staying in or near Denver?

**slight chance I'll be on a 2016 by this trip....
punk.gif

twistedcricket posted: <snip, snip, snip>Uncle Hud, I'll PM you my contact info again and maybe we can discuss where you're staying in or near Denver?

**slight chance I'll be on a 2016 by this trip....
punk.gif
Bubblehead Central (submarine buddy) in Denver is within sight of Mile High. No double entendres implied or intended.

Would be glad to ride with a Nelson-Rigg donor, no matter what bike you're straddling.

Sandy and I will be stopping in Woodland Park just west of Colorado Springs for a mandatory coffee and doughnut stop at the Donut Mill. We should be there by 7:30 and leave by 8:00. That would put us in Poncha Springs by 10:00. Could be a good place for C Springs people to meet up if travelling over Hwy 24. Would enjoy meeting up with y'all and also Hud and Burns at Poncha Springs. PM me if you would like, we can exchange contact info.

My wife and I are planning on heading out from MN on the 23rd and meandering down to Montrose by Wednesday. Anyone have any suggestions on places to see between MN and CO? So far Mt. Rushmore is the only real destination along the route but I've never really traveled out in that part of the country before. We've got some time so some (reasonable) out of the way suggestions would be appreciated too. Plan is to take back roads and try to avoid the interstate.

Lost a couple of days to work, but still planning a slow 3 day ride about from central California through southern Utah, northern Arizona, through the 4 corners, loop around the west side of Colorado and drop down into Montrose on Wednesday.

My wife and I are planning on heading out from MN on the 23rd and meandering down to Montrose by Wednesday. Anyone have any suggestions on places to see between MN and CO? So far Mt. Rushmore is the only real destination along the route but I've never really traveled out in that part of the country before. We've got some time so some (reasonable) out of the way suggestions would be appreciated too. Plan is to take back roads and try to avoid the interstate.

The Great White North Liberation Army stopped at Devils Tower, WY on their way out to Red Lodge last week. I don't think they were able to capture it and take it back to Kanuckistan, So I suggest that you visit there too. It will take you a little out of the way, but it is one incredible rock.

My vacation officially starts at 17:00 on Tuesday, the 26th (depending on the schedule, I may be able to blow out of town earlier). I've booked a room in Montrose the 28-31st. If I ride out there solo, I'll leave the 27th. If not, that gives me half of the 26th to position for a meet up. Either way, I'll be there on the 28th.

Time to start thinking about NAFO now that CFR in Pembroke and Red Lodge Rendezvous are in the books. I have vacation from July 21 to August 2nd so I should be able to make a good ride out of it without racing out and back.

The Great White North Liberation Army stopped at Devils Tower, WY on their way out to Red Lodge last week. I don't think they were able to capture it and take it back to Kanuckistan, So I suggest that you visit there too. It will take you a little out of the way, but it is one incredible rock.
Sweet, thanks. That's not too far out of the way.

Time to start thinking about NAFO now that CFR in Pembroke and Red Lodge Rendezvous are in the books. I have vacation from July 21 to August 2nd so I should be able to make a good ride out of it without racing out and back.
Why don't you ride here on Tuesday, spend the night, we can leave Wednesday and head South and West, criss-crossing the continental divide on our way to Montrose while remaining cool.

https://goo.gl/maps/DDkExbHjKJK2 is one of many options

After Devil's Tower this route would be a good one https://goo.gl/maps/DDkExbHjKJK2

Why don't you ride here on Tuesday, spend the night, we can leave Wednesday and head South and West, criss-crossing the continental divide on our way to Montrose while remaining cool.

https://goo.gl/maps/DDkExbHjKJK2 is one of many options
Wow, that looks like a fun 774 mile, 12 hour 15 minute ride! Are you thinking one big day, arriving Wednesday, or two easy days arriving Thursday? I have a room booked with Petey for Wednesday night in Montrose that may complicate making it a two day ride with a Thursday arrival.