NAFO2010 Announcement of area & hotel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay-y-y Heidi!! Good for you and Violione & Intech and the rest of the planners. Hope to make it this year. :yahoo:
Jay (Violione) & Bob (Intech) scored the hotel... not me. I must say, they did well, too. :yahoo: We have a really nice place at a reasonable rate for NAFO/party central. :yahoo: I'm just the loudmouth that gets to talk about all of it... At least for right now.

Yay-y-y Heidi!! Good for you and Violione & Intech and the rest of the planners. Hope to make it this year. :yahoo:
Jay (Violione) & Bob (Intech) scored the hotel... not me. I must say, they did well, too. :yahoo: We have a really nice place at a reasonable rate for NAFO/party central. :yahoo: I'm just the loudmouth that gets to talk about all of it... At least for right now.
So...will you be posting the rate per night before we register? :huh:

Don't forget Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for the list of places to visit while in the area
No offense intended but, having lived/ridden in the area, I would say avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg at all costs. Traffic can be *horrible* and there's not much there except tourist traps.
I have to agree ..... I got caught in Pigeon Forge during a car show......what a ZOO!

Don't forget Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for the list of places to visit while in the area
No offense intended but, having lived/ridden in the area, I would say avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg at all costs. Traffic can be *horrible* and there's not much there except tourist traps.
Agreed. The area has become Disneyworld for the hillbilly crowd. Avoid it.

I have to agree ..... I got caught in Pigeon Forge during a car show......what a ZOO!
The exact same thing happened to Rob and I on the way to the Dragon last year during EOM. Bumper to bumper traffic, road construction and 82F with 99% humidity. It had take us at least an hour to get through that mess. Not. Fun.

Its a tourist hell hole.

With any luck, I'll be able to come and play. Surely to gawd the Dragon will be open by then. They're having a bit of difficulty with rockslides at the moment: https://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/4784
The dragon is open. You just have to come from the NC side and then turn around and go back through it again. What an awful thing! :yahoo:
???????-Quote from the Tn.gov website linked above, dated 03/19/2010:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.- U.S. 129/SR-115 is closed from the North Carolina state line to a rockslide two miles south of the Chilhowee Dam.......there is not a timeline for repairs to begin at this time.

Wow, good ta know..... hadn't been there, well, in quite a while..... I personally loved G'burg the times that I was there, but apparently, the times, they are a changin'! With the kiddies in school, would that not be a less crowded time? Just askin'.

+100 Shawn, we went thru there (5) years ago and the traffic was "horrible". It is also worth mentioning....stay away from Cades Cove, another traffic nightmare.

I say for all the trouble she stirred up, Iris must ride one full day on the BRP at posted speed
Doesn't her bike idle at 65mph?
C'mon now. I see now where my bad reputation comes from and it's all wrong. You're WAY worse (or better, depending on perspective) than I am!

Looking forward to seeing you all again. It'll be great fun. Heidi, Violine, Intech and all the others who are helping put this together.....thanks for all your efforts! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
All Content Deleted
nuke.gif

+100 Shawn, we went thru there (5) years ago and the traffic was "horrible". It is also worth mentioning....stay away from Cades Cove, another traffic nightmare.
If you sneak into the south side Gatlinburg from 441 you can get to Ripley's Aquarium which is pretty amazing. That's about it for Gatlinburg. +1 to all the other warnings.
You can ski down the mountain in the summer (on astro-turf) and ice skate (inside). And don't forget Dollywood: "Honey, there ain't no such thing as natural beauty." "It costs me a lot of money to look this trashy."

It's a tourist hell hole.
The area has become Disneyworld for the hillbilly crowd.
The area has become the Hillbilly-World for the Disneyland crowd. :huh: B)

Wow. Looks great!

My one experience in that part of the country was very brief as Ignacio and I passed through last summer on our way to Spartanburg for the start of the IBR. After experiencing some of those roads, small towns, and greenery, I told myself that was any area that I HAVE to get back to and spend a bit of time.

Hope I can make NAFO.

Yum, yum.

With the kiddies in school, would that not be a less crowded time? Just askin'.
It *might* be better at that time but there's so much else to see and do in the area, I wouldn't take the chance. IMO, there's honestly not enough to see in those towns to make the hassles worth the while.
We were there at the EOM that was in Townsend, TN one year. That was the 3rd week in September as I recall, and we accidently fell pray to the crowds in those two towns. It was AWFUL!!!

With the kiddies in school, would that not be a less crowded time? Just askin'.
It *might* be better at that time but there's so much else to see and do in the area, I wouldn't take the chance. IMO, there's honestly not enough to see in those towns to make the hassles worth the while.
I have to agree again. There's just so many great roads to ride and cool little towns to visit, that there just isn't much reason to go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Unless you really, really, need some cheap trinkets and t-shirts. If so, go right ahead. I'll be off carving corners somewhere. :D

With any luck, I'll be able to come and play. Surely to gawd the Dragon will be open by then. They're having a bit of difficulty with rockslides at the moment: https://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/4784
The dragon is open. You just have to come from the NC side and then turn around and go back through it again. What an awful thing! :yahoo:
According to https://www.dealsgap.com/ (which is located right at the end of the Dragon) as of today the Dragon is still blocked at the TN/NC state line.

Surely they can get it open by September, but even if they don't there are tons of other great roads to ride out there. The big sweepers on 28 are lots of fun too.