Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that is what they call the Shiprock, outside of Tucumcari, NM.  I've been there, and I've gazed at it, and to this day, I cannot see the "ship" in the rock....
You are correct on the name, but pretty far off on the location.  Tucumcari is completely on the eastern side of NM, Shiprock is completely to the western side.  Actually outside the town of Shiprock (go figure), getting very close to the 4 corners area.

You are correct on the name, but pretty far off on the location.  Tucumcari is completely on the eastern side of NM, Shiprock is completely to the western side.  Actually outside the town of Shiprock (go figure), getting very close to the 4 corners area.
He gets credit for the name. And it is "outside" Tucumcari, just almost 400 miles outside. That picture is actually from the town of Shiprock which is 10 miles away. We were going to stay in Tucumcari that trip, but made it to Santa Fe instead with lunch in Las Vegas, NM.

Mr Pants, Bear Lake Utah?   Shiprock was named so as it looked like a clipper ship to the early settlers. I totally get it first time I saw it . Impressive rock that can be see from great distances if you look for it. 

Doug, no - not even close to Bear Lake.

Goodman has nailed it, per expectations.

Josh and I were freestyling it generally east after YFO2017.  During lunch, I did what I do - check the map and look for twistiest path.  I noticed the State map indicated that Mt. Candland was 10,xxx feet.  It was getting warm, and when it gets warm, go up!  UT31 is a wonderful road to explore and I would highly recommend it.  The greenery felt out of place, having just spent a day or two in the red rocks.

Take it away, sir.

Josh and I were freestyling it generally east after YFO2017.  During lunch, I did what I do - check the map and look for twistiest path.  I noticed the State map indicated that Mt. Candland was 10,xxx feet.  It was getting warm, and when it gets warm, go up!  UT31 is a wonderful road to explore and I would highly recommend it.  The greenery felt out of place, having just spent a day or two in the red rocks.
Hey! I've ALMOST been there. Would have ridden through there in 2018 on our way to Helper UT but the Spanish Fork fire caused us to detour all the way down to Scipio, east on 70 and then up 10.

Mountains obscured, as we were leaving Springville.

44866997024_715f4db531_b.jpg

Wonder if the fire got that pretty greenery.

Here are 4 more pics of the waterfall that you are attempting to guess. The unusual thing about it is the water that comes out of the porous rock making many little falls. It is at the half way point on a 100 mile stretch between one of my favorite mountain peaks and an amazingly scenic road. The falls were called "the eight wonder of the world" by a famous president, but I think that's a big exaggeration. It's pretty but it's mostly a good stop between even better places.

I've not been in California north of Napa.  Nor any of Oregon.  Mark that one down for future reference.

About 30 miles south of the Burney Falls on hwy 89 is the Subway Cave Lava Tubes -actually an old lava tube. Well worth a stop (it's free)and a short walk through in nice cool year round temps. This is with some fellow FJR types on our way to a Ruben run some years back.

IMG-3445.jpg

IMG-3446.jpg

Latest posts