Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51380044897_852eef250a_h.jpg

This is more of a "you have to see it" to know it. But I've never seen anything else like it before so what the heck. 

Looks like Manzinita skeletons off Hwy 49 north of Mariposa a couple years following the first YFO. Remember there was a  big fire just a couple weeks after YFO.

Sadly I see way too much of the white skeletons, take 2-3 years after a hot fire to really stand out. Large oaks will turn the same color

Well - I ran that road after YFO, but I wasn't able to do much sightseeing.  I was following Cav49 and he was on a mission - to scrub off the sides of the tires!!!

Dougie - I believe we ended up at your humble abode that day!!

PS - one day, I'll see the Icefields Parkway for myself.  That day, I will NOT be ripping it sideways.  

Not in CA, but this landscape also resulted from a burn. What stood out to me was that the trunks were almost silver in color - looked like stainless steel artwork.

Hint: It's on a National Park.

I'll take that collective silence as "uncle". This is on the approach to the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park. If you do go sometime - be sure to sign up ahead of time for one of the guided tours through the dwellings. Stunning.

Something a little more definitive...

51383472525_1032d306fc_h.jpg

I'll take that collective silence as "uncle". This is on the approach to the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park.
I have been there.  In fact, I used Mesa Verde as a location earlier in the game.  Don't specifically recall these trees but I have seen similar elsewhere.

I'll take that collective silence as "uncle". This is on the approach to the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park. If you do go sometime - be sure to sign up ahead of time for one of the guided tours through the dwellings. Stunning.

Something a little more definitive...

Answer is in the photo. No, not the type of aircraft.

-Steve

I am happy to give the next post to anyone who wishes it.

I was hoping to get others to really have a look at your photos.

I didnt “name that place”.

If no takers, I will post something.

-Steve

I remember Gunnison very well. Our Southwest trip in 2015 was our first experience with the amazing canyons and rocks of Utah, AZ, NM and NV. When we first got into New Mexico we were stopping and taking pics of just basic rock formations along the road. Then by the time we had done the 5 big Utah parks and on into Nevada to Las Vegas and the Valley of Fire we had seen so many rocks we were canyoned out by the time we got to the Grand Canyon. GC was awesome but we had seen a LOT of rocks.  Utah is definitely one of my favorite places now, and I hope to go back a third time. But we had too many canyons to comprehend that first trip.

The last part of the trip was mountains of Colorado which was a perfect change of scenery. But then we decided to take time to pull off and see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison before riding up 92. Even after all the other canyons we thought it was beautiful and stunning in its own way. It was really worth it.

So thanks for rekindling the memory!

Ok, this one is an easy one but I'm making it only moderately recognizable in the second pic. The first one is just a reminder that the roads are decent here too but it's hard to notice the road due to the scenery.

Super easy ones to come later if nobody gets it from this.