Need GPX file from Open Road Journey put on Garmin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can still buy lifetime maps for a zumo 550. I got mine for around $70 each.

The 220 that Ray mentioned is another good option. The only problem is they were not as widespread so finding a used one for sale may be a bit trickier.

Thanks guys, I just pulled the trigger on a 350lm from the GPS Store in NC> I also had a $15 off coupon. The 550's I found were older with old maps and didn't have the mounts and other items were missing. I would have been paying for a new one by the time I bought one of those others. I missed out on the deal that the gentleman had on here a few days ago. That was a good deal.

Garmin also told me that I could turn off the phone stuff so that I can continue to use my Iphone 4S for my music and my communication. This stuff works great for me now and I didn't want it routed through the GPS.

So, I found this one at the GPS Store for $499, free shipping and a coupon for $15 off.

Thanks for all of the help and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so now you've spent $500 for a gps. Can you use the route(s) you mentioned in the beginning or did you just waste your money on yet another electronical gizmo?

Yes the 350 will accept custom routes from the computer. Actually his 2455 should have also. I'm just not sure why he has a problem. The 350 uses "Trip Planner" just like the 2455. I have a couple of Garmins' that have "Trip Planner" and they all accept my routes.

I assume that the zumo 350 can be used with Basecamp (and/or mapsource, though Garmin no longer supports that), which would be the preferred way to create and transfer routes, IMO.

Yes the 350 will accept custom routes from the computer. Actually his 2455 should have also. I'm just not sure why he has a problem. The 350 uses "Trip Planner" just like the 2455. I have a couple of Garmins' that have "Trip Planner" and they all accept my routes.
My point exactly. His 2455 should have also. Now he'll have 2 Garmins that won't do what he wants done.

b/c we never helped him figure out the original problem.

I do not believe that the nuvi 2455 supports preplanned routes the same way that the zumos do, using basecamp or mapsource to form the routes and then run them. It does have the "trip planner" feature, which is just a multi-destination route tool, a series of connecting waypoints (ie. favorites) not via points or route shaping points. Between those multiple destinations it will just run whatever the preferred routing is selected to (fastest, shortest, etc.)

I've read that there is a means to transfer a series of waypoints from Basecamp to the nuvi 2455, but not the route.

I assume that the zumo 350 can be used with Basecamp (and/or mapsource, though Garmin no longer supports that), which would be the preferred way to create and transfer routes, IMO.
You are correct. I have used both Basecamp & Mapsource to create routes and send them to my Garmins. I prefer Mapsource but they both work fine. I'm sure in the near future I'll have to change over completely to Basecamp.

On my 390 I no longer have to import the route after turning the gps on. It does it automatically on start up.

I still use MapSource for route creating with my nuvi 780. Works fine. I assume BaseCamp will too but I'm just not comfortable using it. In fact I find it quite cumbersome, like Garmin is trying to please all the people all the time. Eventually I guess I'll have to learn it.

I use a Sena on my helmet and love it with my Iphone 4S. I want a GPS that will give me information via bluetooth but not interfere with my music or incoming/outgoing calls.
I realize you are all set, glad you got it sorted out. For completeness, for others, the Zumo 66x will allow you to do just that with a Sena. You would pair to the 4S like you always did (using A2DP and HFP). And then use Multipoint pairing to add a HFP from the 66x. Won't screw up your 4s situation, etc. I will switch back and forth between this configuration and stereo from Zumo on long rides because a) phone call quality is noticeably better and B) I want to mix up with a Pandora stream, etc.

Yeah, I ended up buying something that I really didn't need but I sure do like it. I used it today for the first time and it is really nice. Thanks for your help.

What the heck, bradman. None of us really "needs" our FJRs either. I mean, I can get better gas mileage in my boring Ford C-max (it's a company car, so don't blame me). Sometimes we just have to satisfy our wants too.

Glad your happy with the outcome.