Need new boots.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I think I just added TCX to the mix. Thanks...
https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_five_evo_gore_tex_boots_2015.htmlAnother alternative...... I shy away from Alpinestars 'cuz the soles get less grippy after a few months. The Dainese look good.
Although, Now I think I'm leaning toward the TCX Airtech EVO. Most of my riding is in the spring, summer, and fall with very little riding in the winter (if the temp get up to mid 40's I'll get out some. I'm just a little worried that if I ride all day in these with the temp in the 40's-50's my feet will get cold. Being from the deep south I can tolerate the heat a little better than the cold.
Have been wearing the TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex boots for the last 3yrs. Comfortable and fit good if you have a wider foot like me. Some italian boots can be a little narrow. Very reasonable for street boots with some armor at key spots but nothing too fancy. The soles and seams holding up ok so far. Can walk around around in them if you need be. Feet never get too hot or cold in these, its kind of weird. Guess its the goretex breathing but I've rode in the 30's and feet never got cold and I just wore regular socks Felt good like sneakers from the very first day and they breathe well. The feet dont get all sweaty. Think I paid $240 for them thru Revzilla. Would recommend them and think they are good bang for the buck.

TCX_X_Five_Plus_Boots_Black__81363.1443626506.170.170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet.....

Riders Discount has a nice price on AlpineStars SuperTech - R's for $279.00

https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/147-riders-discount/384049-%24279-alpinestars-supertech-r-boots-sale.html

They offer forum members deals on many different forums ^^ one example...

Just call TJ and tell him where you saw the deal, like on the R6 forum.

I picked up 2 pair right before Christmas, one Vented and one Not.... He went over fitment with me thoroughly and they arrived perfect.

They run a bit large I guess, I wear a size 12 to be comfortable, and he sold me 2 pair of these.

Alpinestars Supertech R Boots 2012 Black US 11.5 EU 46

Fit perfect...

I had stayed out of this at first but now I'll chime in!

TCX X-five owner here. First pair of motorcycle specific riding boots I ever bought. My feet are on the wide side and Alpinestar, Dainese, and the like run too narrow for my comfort. Coming up on one year of ownership and would buy them again tomorrow if the need arose. I no longer ride in any other footwear ever. I've ridden in temps from over 100 to as low as 12 and my feet have remained comfortable. On the 12 degree day I wore thicker socks and while my feet were chilly it wasn't intolerable. On hot summer days they were no hotter than the hiking boots I used to wear. In terms of being waterproof, it rained quite a bit at EOM last year and my feet stayed completely dry. I've ridden through standing water above the footpegs once and feet were still dry. I'm glad you've added TCX to your list of options. My wife is now looking at them after seeing how happy I've been with my purchase.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Has anyone tried Rev'It boots? I've been considering some more normal looking boots (like the Regent or Royale lines).

Alpinestar Goretex boots here. Have had them a couple of years and the soles warn smooth - dangerous on slick surfaces. Boots also now have a seam coming apart. Liked them at first but really not impressed with them anymore....

I see a lot of TCX X-5 owners. You talk about they are good for wider feet. I wear a size 10US about a 44 euro. They are very average width,not overly wide or narrow. I tried on one model of alpinestars and they fit great (they were a very short boot). Later I tried on a different model alpinestars (higher boot, more like what I want) and it seemed too narrow. I tried on a Dainese short boot and it was VERY narrow in the heel. I'm leaning toward the X-5 now but don't want to get something that's too wide. (Damn I wish there was a store I could go in and try them on.)

You X-5 owners, would you consider your feet wider than average? And if so did the boot have to give a little to make them comfortable?

At this price range I want to get it right the first time!

My feet are sort of wide. In some style of boot or shoe I need a W and in some others I don't. The TCX boots have more room in the toe box than many of the euro brands, but they are not as wide as a "W"

Most places you order from online will take them back if you try them on (inside) and don't like the fit. And the prices at some of the places I linked to earlier are a bargain at ~ $150. Hard to find anything decent in that price range.

I see a lot of TCX X-5 owners. You talk about they are good for wider feet. I wear a size 10US about a 44 euro. They are very average width,not overly wide or narrow. I tried on one model of alpinestars and they fit great (they were a very short boot). Later I tried on a different model alpinestars (higher boot, more like what I want) and it seemed too narrow. I tried on a Dainese short boot and it was VERY narrow in the heel. I'm leaning toward the X-5 now but don't want to get something that's too wide. (Damn I wish there was a store I could go in and try them on.) You X-5 owners, would you consider your feet wider than average? And if so did the boot have to give a little to make them comfortable? At this price range I want to get it right the first time!
Order it. Try it on. Send it back if it don't fit.

Damn it, I hate this place! Reading this thread and the next thing you know I have another pair of boots shipping. You guys are killing me!
Good for you Kevin :punk:
Joe your no help. I think it was about this time last year when I ended up with a new pair of Sidi On Road boots because of your "assistance".

Damn it, I hate this place! Reading this thread and the next thing you know I have another pair of boots shipping. You guys are killing me!
Good for you Kevin
punk.gif
Joe your no help. I think it was about this time last year when I ended up with a new pair of Sidi On Road boots because of your "assistance".
...and, you're welcome. Hey...I've been buying accessories for a motorcycle that I don't even have yet.

I am familiar with your pain. When I figure out who I should send the bill to on this place I'll let you know.

FWIW, I have one season on a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots and think they are great. Yes they squeak. Probably a little over the top for the riding I do but the protection was what I was focused on and one of the best pair out there. Rode a couple times in a light rain for 30 minutes each and my feet stayed dry.

I am familiar with your pain. When I figure out who I should send the bill to on this place I'll let you know.

FWIW, I have one season on a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots and think they are great. Yes they squeak. Probably a little over the top for the riding I do but the protection was what I was focused on and one of the best pair out there. Rode a couple times in a light rain for 30 minutes each and my feet stayed dry.
Yes I have looked at those for better protection on the Tenere. Thanks for the "assistance".
no.gif

X-five owner here.

I can tell that my safety shoes I have to wear at work I require a wide boot. The Hi-Tec hiking boots I used to wear for riding are also wide version.

I purchased my TCX boots at the Revzilla store in Philadelphia and the salesman told me the TCX boots were the widest boots they sold and most Americans found them closer in fit to American shoes and boots.

I've been wearing only Alpinestars boots since I started riding 20 years ago. I've always had good luck with them, and I have in excess of 150K miles just with the S-MX 5 boots. But on my big ride last September, after riding many miles in the rain with cold wet feet, it was time to get Gore Tex.

I looked at new Alpinestars boots, but eventually settled on a set of BMW Pro Touring 2 boots. They're the top of the line BMW street boot, so they're not cheap. They list for $359 and I paid $340 (ouch!), ordered from a dealer 50 miles away. For that price, I hope they last a long time! I've only ridden a couple thousand miles with them so far, but they're extremely comfortable. The soles seem grippy on pavement, and they're comfortable enough to wear all day. The interior is quite plush, much nicer than my old AStars. I've done some cold weather riding, and my feet were comfy with normal socks on. I have yet to ride with them in the desert heat or rain, but from reading about the properties of Gore Tex, I'm pretty sure they'll be dry in the rain and breathe a bit in the heat. I've got Odor Eater insoles thrown in there to help out, just in case.

The PT2 is not as heavily armored as the S-MX 5, but that's ok...it's a touring boot, not meant for hard-core racing. They have good shin protection, and armor in the usual spots on the ankles. They look good too...no BMW logo or ugly graphics. The only thing I don't like about them is the zipper being located on the outside face of the boot. After so many years with AStars, I'm used to having the zippers on the inside face. I'll get used to it eventually.

The BMW Pro Touring 2...just throwing another option out there for consideration.

I see a lot of TCX X-5 owners. You talk about they are good for wider feet. I wear a size 10US about a 44 euro. They are very average width,not overly wide or narrow. I tried on one model of alpinestars and they fit great (they were a very short boot). Later I tried on a different model alpinestars (higher boot, more like what I want) and it seemed too narrow. I tried on a Dainese short boot and it was VERY narrow in the heel. I'm leaning toward the X-5 now but don't want to get something that's too wide. (Damn I wish there was a store I could go in and try them on.) You X-5 owners, would you consider your feet wider than average? And if so did the boot have to give a little to make them comfortable? At this price range I want to get it right the first time!
I run about a 10.5D and the TCX are comfy.

They used to be known as Oxtar Matrix and were as well reviewed in their previous incarnation.

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the TCX X-Five EVO boots. We will see how they are...

Thanks for all of the info!