Need new boots.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it, I hate this place! Reading this thread and the next thing you know I have another pair of boots shipping. You guys are killing me!
Yeah, I hear you Kevin...reading about all these boots has me looking for an alternative. And like you, I'll need different boots for the FJR and Tenere! First world problems we have!
no.gif

<snip> ...and, you're welcome. Hey...I've been buying accessories for a motorcycle that I don't even have yet.
You're just preparing Joe, nothing at all wrong with that!
punk.gif

--G

Love my Sidi On Road Gore-tex boots

I have a pair of these and they are the best boots I have ever owned. I am a Sidi fan also because in my MX days the Sidi MX boots always lasted longer than any other boot i tried, bar none. I wear them on longer trips or in the rain and they have never leaked! I combine these with a pair of summer riding boots and its a perfect set up!

Just a suggestion for new boot buyers. Test the waterproof capabilities as soon as you get them so you can return them if needed! I've had brand new, Name brand, Gore Tex boots leak from the factory and it's easier to return if you do it immediately with clean boots. I'm pretty sure the weak point is any seams in the gore tex bootie that allow water through.

An easy test method is to fill a sink with water and then place the boots in the water with some weight inside to stop them from floating. I use some small dumbbells for this purpose. My TCX boots passed a 30 minute test, so I kept them. I've had new Alpinestar and Meindl (hunting boot) boots fail and one was in less than a minute (can't remember which pair).

Not directly motorcycle related, but I do good to get 2 seasons out of Gore Tex hunting boots before they start leaking. The problem is that the extremely rugged terrain I traverse causes serious flexing of the boot and I'm pretty sure it ends up tearing the waterproof liner. This could be an issue for riding boots if you wear them off the bike a lot where they get flexed a lot. I keep a pair of shoes at work and change when I get there to extend the life of the motorcycle boots (and for more comfort).

Damn it, I hate this place! Reading this thread and the next thing you know I have another pair of boots shipping. You guys are killing me!
Yeah, I hear you Kevin...reading about all these boots has me looking for an alternative. And like you, I'll need different boots for the FJR and Tenere! First world problems we have!
no.gif

<snip> ...and, you're welcome. Hey...I've been buying accessories for a motorcycle that I don't even have yet.
You're just preparing Joe, nothing at all wrong with that!
punk.gif

--G
yeah...can't ride, might as well buy stuff
rolleyes.gif

Well thanks to this post started by Richhouse, I am now the proud owner of a new set of Sidi Traffic 2 Air boots. Oh, and I can contribute the Sidi On Road Gore Tex to last years suggestive post by El Toro Joe. I would be a lot more financially secure without friends like you guys.

Guys, please don't post anymore great deals on gear on this site. Your killing me. Unless you see a great deal on some MX boots. As you can see I don't have any good boots for playing in the dirt.
headbonk.gif

Nice boot collection Imelda.
I thought my jacket collection was bad. Abercrombie my friend...you need help and not the kind we provide!
no.gif

--G
Yes, I need some kind of intervention and less encouraging friends. Don't even get me started on Jackets, as it seems I have a little problem in that area also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make me line up all the gloves I have and take a pic., I won't be able to complain anymore about all the shoes and purses my wife has.

I was looking at gloves today at my local dealer! Need to attend a Gear Anon mtg.

Speaking of boots though, the Forma and Gaerne brands have caught my eye lately.

I've not been following this thread, but anyway - I have some Gore-tex lined boots, Daytona XCR. Point is, one of them started leaking water after a couple of years.

(Click on image for larger view)

Took them back to where I bought them, the manufacturer's warranty had expired, but not the Gore-tex warranty. The shop sent them to Gore, who authorised a replacement for me at no cost. Took about three weeks, but I got a brand new pair saving two years of wear.

That's one of the reasons i like using Gore-tex lined kit.

(The only down-side is I had to break the new pair in, they start off very stiff. But did probably save me from broken bones.)

I'm new and late to the party, but I've really fallen in love with my Icon Raiden DKR boots. They're not quite "technical", but they have more armor (even D30 in the tongue), are warm and very waterproof. I'm still in the process of crowbaring my sense of perfection so that I can post a video review I've done with them, but they are very solid, very comfy, AND I've purposely waded through puddles to test them, so I'm confident in their abilities. In two weeks, I'm taking off for a Four Corners run, so I'll get some heat experience with them, too.

My TCX-X Fives came in the other day. They fit great and not too stiff. They are comfortable enough to wear all day. Very happy with the purchase but I'm wondering if they will be too hot in the middle of summer.

I've found them better in the heat than "cool" boots which let too much heat from the pavement in to my feet. When it's 100+ outside everything's hot. You don't want that blast furnace from 6" off the ground getting in.

Well thanks to this post started by Richhouse, I am now the proud owner of a new set of Sidi Traffic 2 Air boots. Oh, and I can contribute the Sidi On Road Gore Tex to last years suggestive post by El Toro Joe. I would be a lot more financially secure without friends like you guys.

Guys, please don't post anymore great deals on gear on this site. Your killing me. Unless you see a great deal on some MX boots. As you can see I don't have any good boots for playing in the dirt.
headbonk.gif
Alright guys I am having myself check in. This stupid post just cost me more money. I have been looking for MX or Adventure boots and been lusting after the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots for a long time since I am obviously a Sidi Boot fan. Googled them up and come up with these and I had to pass this unbelievable deal on since they are normally $550.00. I should be good on boots for awhile now. I better go hide a couple pair before the new ones come and the wife finds out I have so many boots.

Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex $292.83

IMG_24271_zpsvygsgmib.jpg

Guys, please don't post anymore great deals on gear on this site. Your killing me. Unless you see a great deal on some MX boots. As you can see I don't have any good boots for playing in the dirt. :headbonk:
Alright guys I am having myself check in. This stupid post just cost me more money. I have been looking for MX or Adventure boots and been lusting after the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots for a long time since I am obviously a Sidi Boot fan. Googled them up and come up with these and I had to pass this unbelievable deal on since they are normally $550.00. I should be good on boots for awhile now. I better go hide a couple pair before the new ones come and the wife finds out I have so many boots.

Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex $292.83
For an easy $20, I will not email this post to your wife...

All those boots, and non of them go past size 14.

Try looking for a boot in the size 16 narrow range, and the field necks down to just 1 offering - Frey Daytona. They make an excellent GoreTex boot that fit my size 16 AAA foot. They also offer factory resole for their boot. I currently possess 2 pair. After 5 years on the first set, the second pair was purchased to give me something to wear while the first pair went back to Germany for servicing.

Travel_Star.jpg

Good boots are a must for what we do - and these are good boots !

Brodie

yes2.gif