Need NorCal Info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
Just moved up here from San Diego. My rep down there was getting to iffy so I moved to Roseville.

Need a good shop to do a rear shock rebuild, Penske, and a front fork service/possible rebuild. Johnny80 and I did the last service and I think I put a fork seal in dry so its going to be a bitch gettting it out. Let someone else suffer for my mistake.

Also need a line on a good place to either get shoes put on or purchase and install. I had a shop right next to the house that would install for $80 front and rear OTD. If there is a quality place like that then I am all in.

Finally need some ideas for fall rides that doesnt include 45 degrees and below. SoCal boy has thin blood. Looking for something in the 200-300 mile day range. I want to ride Skaggs Springs, Drove it a few years back, but I am not sure of the weather up here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cycle Gear is a good place for tires.

There are a zillion (literally, a zillion, I counted) nice places to ride within a 300 mile loop of Roseville. I personally would look for stuff on the east side of the valley in the low Sierras. Crossing the valley out and back will eat up miles and be not that interesting. I like the roads around Lake Oroville (70 and Bucks Lake) but there are just so many.

Roseville Yamaha has a top notch service department, and the service manager there posts under the name "Cisco" here. Pretty hard to find anyone who complains about their abilities or service ethic. The Cycle Gear superstore is just down I-80 at Madison exit. It's just okay, but frankly I found lots of places that would sell tires and install for less.

Capital Yamaha on Auburn will match Motorcycle Superstore prices (or better) and mount the tires for $20-27 each if you bring in the Wheels. I think it's $40 if they have to remove the wheel. Be sure to talk to the parts manager, to price tires, not the service dept. I also had forks rebuilt by them at a great price. I got my old parts back and was very satisfied with the service and extremely satisfied with the price. That said, your price will depend on who you talk to there.

Your weather will be fine for riding all year. Note that on foggy days, it is clear in the foothills, and on the few storm days, you can take a break. Weather is pretty predictable when you can see it coming off the Pacific. For cooler weather, consider getting a WarmNsafe electric jacket liner. It can make winter a non-event in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fall Ride idea's - Well a couple of idea's

West - Highway 1 - needs a trek across the valley - but you can go via lake berryessa and Calistoga etc - so not all bad - up the coast to fort brag etc

East - Getting cooler but as mentioned bucks lake is nice - French meadows via mosquito Ridge Rd and Forest Hill - https://goo.gl/maps/Wvg5E

South - there's the Little dragon just past Mariposa - https://goo.gl/maps/dwqIY

These's a whole bunch more but those 3 came to mind immediately

Capital Yamaha on Auburn will match Motorcycle Superstore prices (or better) and mount the tires for $20-27 each if you bring in the Wheels. I think it's $40 if they have to remove the wheel. Be sure to talk to the parts manager, to price tires, not the service dept. I also had forks rebuilt by them at a great price. I got my old parts back and was very satisfied with the service and extremely satisfied with the price. That said, your price will depend on who you talk to there.
BTW the Honda Counterpart to Capital Yamaha (use to be Carmichael Motorsports) is now in Roseville as Roseville Honda Motorsports - so not sure if the same deal would apply but are in your neck of the woods

and one more nice little ride - through the redwoods down in the bay area

https://goo.gl/maps/V4oBC

Thanks for all the info. I will check out Roseville Yamaha for the forks. How about for a Penske rebuild? Is there a shop around that does that or do I have to send it back to SoCal to get that done?

One of the riders at the company I work for taked about a nice scenic little short ride up Garden Hwy. How is that for a Sunday afternoon lunch run?

The Garden Hwy is basically just levy roads along the Sacramento River going north. I'd consider it an okay way to avoid the freeway when going north to someplace else, but it's not much of a ride. The route linked by Gbjbany uses the South River Road throught the Delta that I think is better and also has lots of lunch possibilities.

If I was in the neighborhood, and enjoying the great weather you have now, I'd be making the late season transit of the Sierra over Hwy 88 and return via Hwy 89 Markleeville and Hwy 4 Ebbetts Pass for a good blaze of fall leaves. That is more of a day ride, but easy enough if you leave by 9:00 AM.

For a shorter ride from Roseville, just head out to Auburn and pick up Hwy 49 south. Then the hard choices begin...Salmon Falls Road or the Forest Hill Divide? How about 193 to Georgetown and drop down through the South Fork American River Canyon into Placerville for some BBQ? Within a couple hours of where you live are some of the best riding roads in the U.S. I wouldn't waste good weather riding the flats of the valley (Garden Hwy), save it for winter.

TomInCA that 49 looks amazing. I was looking at google maps and that 49 to 88 into the south out Tahoe looks nice. Lunch in Tahoe. 89 North to 49 loop back to 80 at Auburn then home via 80 looks like a nice day ride. Or is that a bit on the longer side?

Sorry for my lazy response, but just point your bike any direction and ride away. Yep, there are that many options. :)

Mosquito Ridge looks amazing.

Sorry puppychow but pointing in any direction isnt a smart way to ride alone in a new area without GPS. I will do that as I get a feel for the area. The only places I have seen of this area are all of the coast from SLO to Gualala. Hard to screw that up with if you go west you will hit water. I have driven all over the main areas of Napa and Santa Rosa but never far from the 101. Ive driven around Sacramento 10 miles in all directions from downtown. I have also driven up the 80 to Auburn to have a pint or two at the ale house. Thats it. That is the extent of my experience with this area. I can look at a map and see some amazing places and roads but I dont have the local knowledge of those areas. Road conditions, known animal crossings, crap like that. I just want to get out while the weather is this amazing that is why I am asking for ideas.

*shrug* That's how I discovered most of the roads around here a long time ago. Paper maps and Google maps, satellite views et al. But, to each their own and their own comfort level. You have plenty of ideas to start with already, sorry about my lazy response, but I didn't want to regurgitate what others had already pointed you to. Just emphasizing that from the options you had already received you could just point in any direction and ride away. Have fun and ride safe, and invite us to a ride sometime.. :)

TomInCA that 49 looks amazing. I was looking at google maps and that 49 to 88 into the south out Tahoe looks nice. Lunch in Tahoe. 89 North to 49 loop back to 80 at Auburn then home via 80 looks like a nice day ride. Or is that a bit on the longer side?
Did almost that exact ride this weekend note, there was snow at ebbetts it wasn't frozen but it got down to 35degrees at midday when we won't over

Have a great ride! This weekend promises valley temps of 82 degrees and sun, which will translate to comfortable mountain temps. If you take a loop through Tahoe, I'd just head up I-80 (or better Hwy 20 from Grass Valley) and take the old Donner Pass US 40 into Truckee, then 89 south along the west shore of Tahoe. Lunch in South Lake Tahoe, then 89 south across Luther Pass to 88 and back towards Jackson, then 49 back to Auburn.

As you can see, there are so many permutations of great rides, the possibilities are endless. I miss it greatly and would gladly hook up with you if I was there.

Thanks all so much. I am the adventurous one but I know my right hand can get a bit heavy at the wrong times. I like to find new roads with someone that has been there a few times so I can see the breaking zones and get in on a little local knowledge, this place has the best ... that kind of stuff you wouldn't know unless you have been there a while. I will break out the training wheels and see what I can see. I just got here at the wrong time to be zooming through the sierra foothills. There is always next spring.

Jerry be careful on Scaggs Springs as i believe it is a 30mph limit....

and you have to go up and do 36 out of red Bluff to the coast....144 miles of heaven...

And ship you Penske to Lee at Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta he will hook you up.

Tell him i told you to call him...(he might charge you double then)

R

Thats for the heads up Richard. Will definitely do the 36. Did a small 300 mile loop yesterday up to S Tahoe. Amazing day. Still in the 60s up there in mid to late October.

Gerry - You're an idiot! NorCal has the WORST roads in the world. Move east, like across the Atlantic east, and then keep going.

J80's is crying I'm sure.

I have a lot of familia up in NorCal, but that doesn't mean I'll stop by, cause you're still you; and you didn't say good by.
sad.png

We'll miss the worlds largest piece of hi-vis fabric floating around SoCal.
wink.png

Latest posts