Need tools to remove front wheel ( 2004 )

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeroux

Reaction score
Heya!

Anybody in Pasadena/ Los Angeles capable of loaning me the tools I need to remove my front wheel?

I've just discovered a long strip of cord threads and the experts are telling me not to ride on this tire.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

GZ

You only really need two. One is the appropriate sized Allen key for the pinch bolts. The axle is 19mm Allen key I believe which coincedentally is the same as 3/4. I have a small bolt with two nuts on it that fit the axle exactly. No special tool other than that is needed.

Did you try searching first? Geeze - these doddering old timers come in here expecting the membership to diagnose tire wear, explain how to fix the condition, provide the tools and . . . . What's next - we hafta do your wrenching and spooning* while you drain the six pack?

;)

* hoping neither a sheep reference nor explanation is required

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a really stupid question, but don't the calipers have to come off also to remove the wheel?
No, they most certainly do have to come off. Gen 3 uses 12mm bolt heads. Also might remove clip tying hoses to fork. Just remove calipers from from legs do not disconnect hoses.

ABS sensor should be removed from carrier plate on bikes so equipped. IIRC it's a 4mm hex key. 6mm hex key for fork axle pinch bolts. 22mm for big axle nut.

Strongly recommend towel over the caliper as you work it off the rotor because clearance is essentially nil and sharp things on caliper will scratch rim. Very obvious with black rims but it happens to all.

Good to see George back, even if it is only to beg for help.

The real bitc# is to get the reflectors on the fork legs out of the way :lol:

Oops, snap. Done.

Latest posts