New car sucks compared to FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolavine

Reaction score
OK, I couldn't help myself, the Federal Government offered to give me $4500 trade in for my ancient Crown Victoria (420k miles), calling it a clunker (grrrrrrrr!). The Vic just barely qualified as it has an adjusted EPA combined of 18mpg, and that was the best mpg a car could get to qualify. In order to get the $4500 trade in I had to buy a car with a combined EPA of 28 (10mpg better), and since my wife is handicapped and might want, or need (just one more beer), to drive it I had to get an automatic (don't like them too much but at least they allow me to play the harmonica while driving without extended rest notes). So, I got the Hyundai Elantra figuring the consumer mags liked it and it was fairly large, can pull my utility trailer, and they gave me many more thousands off, and it was red and it had a great stereo. So I drive it to work yesterday morning taking the slab route and I'm thinking this isn't bad at all, what a nice car, boy did I get a deal, thanks uncle sam (yeah, like I don't know who is going to be paying anyway just like the last 40 years!).

But after work I took that beast back home via my favorite curvy, narrow and crumbling motorcycling roads and it totally sucked. It wheezed up hills the FRJ takes in 5th gear, the car shook through corners that made me think of racing Motel 6 beds with long extension cords to keep the magic fingers on, and it wasn't really any fun at all. Even the sceenary was distant, cold, dead, like a natural history display. Of course the damn thing leans the wrong way in corners too, and I had to sit way on the left side while driving too, what the hell is up with that?

To be fair it is the best car that I've ever owned, and it way suitable for slabbing to hell and back only requiring small air conditioning adjustments, but for the driving, riding, feedback grasping, feeling what is going on, being an active part of mobility past the sprits of place - them two extra wheels and extra ton take away about 90%.

Say, look into this C.A.R.S. program you may have something worth nothing that is worth something. Too bad they won't let us trade in on bikes!

I can't fix wippers, I meant wipers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks for the tip. My '98 Ford Exploder that I no longer really need (since I sold my power boat) is eligible for the rebate.

The only problem with this gubmint stymu-lousy program is;

I don't really want to buy a new car and lose that $4500 in depreciation as I drive off the dealers lot. :angry:

Wish they'd just gimme $4500 for the car... :rolleyes:

Hey, thanks for the tip. My '98 Ford Exploder that I no longer really need (since I sold my power boat) is eligible for the rebate.

I don't really want to buy a new car and lose that $4500 in depreciation as I drive off the dealers lot. :angry:

Fred Fred Fred

it's a stimulus program :blink:

ain't welfare :dribble:

just sayin' :rolleyes:

CARS program has not been finalized yet but Hyundai is doing the deals now and it works smoothly, it is just like getting a subsidized trade in, and traded in vehicles just have to get worse them 18mpg, be continously insured and registered, and have to be made within the last 25 years of the date of transaction. I think 1985 vehicles qualify and it should be in effect all over before the end of the month.

I had to get an automatic... Hyundai Elantra... and it totally sucked.
more a statement of the car chosen than of all cars in general.

i mean, HYUNDAI? you didn't really expect to get performance or handling our of it. right?

but, yeah. it would have been nice to get $4500 for my 96 GMC Sierra 350 extended cab back in Feb or 08 when I got the STi.

Well, without becoming too political, it would still provide economic stimulus if they allowed it to be applied to used cars. But the stimulus would be realized only by the local used car dealers and the buyers and the local economies but not the big auto makers, who appear to be receiving yet another gubb'mint shot in the bankroll.

What I don't understand is that, while they won't allow you to use it for used car purchases (my preferred choice) they are allowing you to buy a new foreign car with your stimulus trade-in money!?! Huh? :blink:

Buying a new Hyundai? Stimulate the Koreans...

Well, without becoming too political, it would still provide economic stimulus if they allowed it to be applied to used cars. But the stimulus would be realized only by the local used car dealers and the buyers and the local economies but not the big auto makers, who appear to be receiving yet another gubb'mint shot in the bankroll.
What I don't understand is that, while they won't allow you to use it for used car purchases (my preferred choice) they are allowing you to buy a new foreign car with your stimulus trade-in money!?! Huh? :blink:

Buying a new Hyundai? Stimulate the Koreans...
course it's obvious my post was tongue in cheek...however...

Fred you make very good points and I agree...the govmint hardly ever thinks things through or considers the real world consequences of their actions...guess it's the nature of govmint...they don't live in the real world...but I digress

I bought a used Camry just a year ago when my Mom passed and left my big bro and me a few bucks

She bought me the Feej as well (please don't tell her or she'd turn over in her grave)

Traded in my ole and tired '90 Lexus ES250 (glamourzed Camry 6 cyl) for a big $200

Sure would have been kewl to get $4500 against the $12k I paid for the '03 Camry XLE with 29k miles

It was a steal then, but would have been grand larceny now with that deal

Wow, I just looked up how much the Hyundai Elantra was made in the states. I had no idea it had so little US input to it, the car is built in South Korea of 1% USA parts, I just presumed that it was made in the states of mostly US content like most Honda's and Toyota's are. Fred, I think you're right about stimulating South Korea. I should have checked better, but than again looking for an automatic with a combined epa of 28 mpg, the only

Ford (I was a Ford guy for decades) that qualified was an expensive hybrid. Focus is made in MI of 73% US parts, see I could have used that to get a manual transmission (28 combined MPG), damn it.

I think they should have restricted the C.A.R.S program to cars with more US manufacturing in them!

I have to buy a car based on the safety of my kids, and wife ,when they drive it, costs, abilty to pull my utility trailer, and a reasonable level of quiet and comfort on the road. But even given the best car ever it still leans the wrong way in the corners, don't it?

I'm in. I traded in an old '94 Ford Explorer for a shiny new Toyota Corolla. Got a very good price on the car and $4500 Obama Bucks for the Ford. :yahoo:

This topic is *WAY* too political and not at all motorcycle related. Keep it on topic or to yourself. The word "government" is spelled government.

My girlfriend wants to get a new car, but her 1993 Honda Accord with 180K+ miles gets an "EPA rated" 24 mpg. :(
Keep the Honda and go for 300K. Rebuild it as nec. (unless it's rusty?) CO Sprgs -- it might be? Ever been driven in salt?

I think there's a "golden age" of Japanese cars -- where they had modern equipment and were very well made and last a long, long, time. That '93 Accord might be among that group? You may want to ask a professional Honda wrench?

Of course, once the new-car-bug bites -- it's only a matter-of-time.... :)

I thought I read that bikes are included in some form in this program. Anyone else see this?
https://www.clutchandchrome.com/News/Motorc...News0906060.htm
The CARS program has officially started. They set aside a billion for it, and at an average of $4K each, only about 250,000 will be able to take advantage. A lot of dealers presold this program so my guess is that most of it is allready gone. If you want to take advantage do it NOW! Bikes are not included, too bad,