New Girl (Suzie) In The House

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
The wing is gone and my right rotater cuff is 921lbs happier. I found a 2014 Suzuki 1000 adventure model, new, and seems like if you can find one, Suzuki is (was) giving a $2000 discount on these bikes, they did on mine. Considering the extras this is a deal not to be sneered at. It weighs in at about 505lbs gassed up and the V-twin torque especially between 4-6000rpm really impressed me. It has 6.3 inches of suspension travel at both ends and the way it was delivered it rides quite nicely. Probably mess with that at a later date, right now it is break-in miles time. Mirrors are differently placed and work well for me, no vibrations in the mirrors, no blurs. It is a tad tall as I am 6 feet tall with a 30ish inseam and am on the balls of both feet on the ground, the good news is it is a lot easier to push around because I do not have to bend over as much, and did I mention the light weight? One issue is the placement of the footpegs, if I put my feet straight down the inside of my calfs hit the end of the pegs, I have to remember to put my legs down a little farther forward. Protection with the touring screen on (it comes with 2 screens) and in the lowest position works very well for me, plus they have a power port dead center on the dash, be a challenge mounting my radar detector, looks like I need to be looking for handlebar clamping gizmos. Will be ordering a centerstand from Twisted Throttle early Mon. AM., a definite have to have in my book, when I dismount the bike for gas on the left side (low side) my right leg keeps going up. Handling is sweet on curvy stuff, I am liking the 19inch front and 17 inch rear combo....and... pilot road 4s are (my preferred) available for this bugger. Stock ones are doing quite well for the time being. Gotta go drink some ice tea and sit in the shade.

Congrats on the new bike, and a great deal to boot!

I really like that motor and wanted for a long time to have one of the SV1000 naked bikes. I never found one at the right time & place and think I have moved on from that model. So many motorcycles . . .
rolleyes.gif

Enjoy your new ride!

Steve

A fine bike especially with the nice discount!

I think you'll find the DL-1000 to be a highly reliable, comfortable workhorse with a surprisingly capable sporting pedigree. It's a bit of a do-it-all bike, though when off-pavement I'd stick to improved gravel.

You will like Susie. I had one and it was nice. If you like gravel roads you can take it to the highest driveable point in Washington State, Hart's Pass. There is even a campground up there - bring water.

Bring --G too, it is about time he got the Tenere broke in properly.
smile.png

You will like Susie. I had one and it was nice. If you like gravel roads you can take it to the highest driveable point in Washington State, Hart's Pass. There is even a campground up there - bring water.
smile.png
That is a good idea for someday. Right now recovering from some surgery and doc was emphatic, in front of the wife, NO motorcycle for 4 weeks or more.

JamesW - Good for you! You are going to love your ManStrom. I sure do love mine, and mine is one of the uglier less conventionally attractive 1st Gen Vees. As Reno John told me back when I first bought my 2004, the ManStrom is the funnerst bike ever!

That engine, though not as much power as an FJR, is pretty darned sporty on its own right. The first Gen Vees had the same engine as the TL1000 sport bike, so it loves to rev, but still has the V-Twin torquey feel in the slower going. I understand they muted the engine a bit for the New Gen Vees, shifting power a bit lower in the rpm range, but it is still the same engine underneath it all.

I had considered getting a Weewee, but the difference in weight between the six-fiddy and DL1K is only about 50 lbs, and the difference is power is considerable. Sure you could get by with a Wee, but you'll have FUN on the Man Sized version!

Flat footing is over rated. I'm 6'2", but with a Russell on my 'Strom I can't really flat foot it either, unless I slide way up towards the tank.

The overall riding position is great on the 'Stroms. It's a total sit-up-and-beg for me, so no discomfort in the hands, arms, shoulders. That does put a lot of weight on your derrière, hence my having spent the coin on the Russell.

The only thing the Vstrom is missing is a great forum like this one. I'm known as "1 Wheel Drive" on Stromtroopers and ADVriders, but neither place is the fountain of valuable info we have here for the FJRs. It's considerably tougher to get good info at either place.

So, if you didn't get the OEM stuff, what kind of bag setup are you considering? I'm running a set of Seahorse SE720 (Pelican Clones) for every day use, as they are only $55 a pop, and have a set of MuffinTop aluminum top-load panniers for camping trips. I've got them hung on the SW Motech racks. I've also got a Givi trunk mount on it and use a JC Whitney trunk when I need one, which isn't very often.

edit - Reread your 1st post, says you got the "Adventure" so that came with the nice Suzuki top load cases, right?

What other farkles are you looking at? There are a ton of mods available.

All good fun. Have a ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, pics!

I loved my TL1000R. I consider it one of the best street motors I've ridden. Sadly, it was quite piggy for the track so I traded it straight up for a GSX-R600. I always eyeballed those DL1000 as I knew it had a great motor in it. I didn't realize they'd brought the 1000 back in the Strom package, though it makes sense with Kawasaki putting out a big version of the Versys. Would love to see pics of yours.

smile.png
Thanks for posting the video Dave. It brought back some memories.

Bring --G too, it is about time he got the Tenere broke in properly. :)
No worries Fontanaman. Current trip saw over 200 km of dirt including Salmon Glacier and conquering "The Hill" to Bella Coola! Even in TC1, there was some serious roosting going on...
I'm impressed with the S10 and the TKC70s!

--G

JamesW - Good for you! You are going to love your ManStrom. I sure do love mine, and mine is one of the uglier less conventionally attractive 1st Gen Vees. As Reno John told me back when I first bought my 2004, the ManStrom is the funnerst bike ever!
That engine, though not as much power as an FJR, is pretty darned sporty on its own right. The first Gen Vees had the same engine as the TL1000 sport bike, so it loves to rev, but still has the V-Twin torquey feel in the slower going. I understand they muted the engine a bit for the New Gen Vees, shifting power a bit lower in the rpm range, but it is still the same engine underneath it all.

I had considered getting a Weewee, but the difference in weight between the six-fiddy and DL1K is only about 50 lbs, and the difference is power is considerable. Sure you could get by with a Wee, but you'll have FUN on the Man Sized version!

Flat footing is over rated. I'm 6'2", but with a Russell on my 'Strom I can't really flat foot it either, unless I slide way up towards the tank.

The overall riding position is great on the 'Stroms. It's a total sit-up-and-beg for me, so no discomfort in the hands, arms, shoulders. That does put a lot of weight on your derrière, hence my having spent the coin on the Russell.

The only thing the Vstrom is missing is a great forum like this one. I'm known as "1 Wheel Drive" on Stromtroopers and ADVriders, but neither place is the fountain of valuable info we have here for the FJRs. It's considerably tougher to get good info at either place.

So, if you didn't get the OEM stuff, what kind of bag setup are you considering? I'm running a set of Seahorse SE720 (Pelican Clones) for every day use, as they are only $55 a pop, and have a set of MuffinTop aluminum top-load panniers for camping trips. I've got them hung on the SW Motech racks. I've also got a Givi trunk mount on it and use a JC Whitney trunk when I need one, which isn't very often.

edit - Reread your 1st post, says you got the "Adventure" so that came with the nice Suzuki top load cases, right?

What other farkles are you looking at? There are a ton of mods available.

All good fun. Have a ball.
Got the radar detector, V-stream sport touring screen, cannot ride for a couple more weeks but did get the break in stuff done before surgery. Low end torque really surprised me, 0 to 60 is 3.02secs and reviewing my magazines found none quicker in that range(including my fjr) although I am sure something is. You are oh so right about Susie forums being not the equal (or even close) to our FJR group. Luggage rack somewhere down the road, with possibly a trunk for a passenger backrest for the wife now that the wing is gone.

smile.png
No worries Fontanaman. Current trip saw over 200 km of dirt including Salmon Glacier and conquering "The Hill" to Bella Coola! Even in TC1, there was some serious roosting going on...
I'm impressed with the S10 and the TKC70s!

--G
Heal up James, and congrat son the new whip!

George - I just installed my TKC-70's this past weekend - took the TKC-80's off for a long road trip. Grateful to hear you liked them. :) I've got a bit more scrubbing to do on mine before I start tossing the S10 around on them.

<snip> George - I just installed my TKC-70's this past weekend - took the TKC-80's off for a long road trip. Grateful to hear you liked them.
smile.png
I've got a bit more scrubbing to do on mine before I start tossing the S10 around on them.
*hijack*

duane, the fronts are prone to cupping so keep it pumped up gud-and-tite. With roughly 3k on the tires the rear is about 50% gone so don't expect great mileage out of them. Grip is outstanding on street and dirt, wet grip is also most excellent. Mine took 3/4 oz to balance on both ends and are smooth at all speeds.

They'll make a great tire for a new VStrom too!
smile.png

--G

Good to know about the new Conti TKC80 tires. I've been running Shinko 705 radials on my 'Strom, and am pretty happy with them. They also cup a little on the front after a while, but it just results in a little buzz / noise. Decent hook-up in the gravel when new, but they do go away pretty fast 4-5k miles.

Best thing about the Korean Shinkos is they are cheap. Seems the German tires are a lot more money (like double), and the TKC 70's are well known to wear out quickly too.