New Helmet FF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threepointlanding

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the other fellow's thread, but I did want to hear some of the more experienced opinions.

I was going to meet a fellow tomorrow about a Arai Quantum 2 XL helmet for $300. He wants $50 more for the tinted glass, which I probably won't get at this time, though I would like to.

I've never bought a helmet this nice before and I'm asking for a price check on it. It was used a few times this summer.

Also wondering which helmet would be the best bet, Shoei or Arai?

Yes, this is the "cheap" guy about to throw down some "ching" on a nice helmet, and why I'm asking all of you.

AraiQ22.jpg

Both Arai and Shoei are premium brand helmets, so you can't go wrong either way. You'll just need to make sure it fits you well and is comfortable. Some people have a "shoei head" while others have an "arai head". The shape of your head and the helmet must match for optimum comfort. Good luck!

Aria makes their helmets in several shapes, i.e. "long oval", "oval", "round", etc. Do a little reasearch on the Aria website to see what shape head the Quantum is made for, so you can see if it matches your build. Even better, try on a few Aria helmets at a store if you can. Here's a quick price check for ya.

As previously mentioned, both Aria and Shoei are premium helmets. Personally, I would stay away from used helmets. You never really know what the helmet has been through.

I just bought an Arai RX-Q and it is the best fitting helmet I have ever had. I did replace the cheek pads with thinner ones. I also have a Shoei, it is great but the fit is not as good form me.

To each his own when it comes to helmet gear and safety.

The only thing I really like about any premium helmet is they offer some superior graphics to a conventional DOT helmet.

There are several threads here that reference a different philosophy on what to wear.

There is a risk into buying into either philosophy when it comes to protection. Anything is better than nothing is probably the cheapest theory of all. I thought of spending 3-400 on a helmet, but decided not to.

Rather I went with something that:

* felt good on my head, and

*Snug proper fit all the way around

*comfortable to wear for long distances and

*complimented my riding style, and

*was versatile for winter and summer.

*could put speakers into or comm system.

Graphics were the last thing I was concerned with.

I have been completely happy with the gmax 44 modular helmet. If I was an aggressive rider pushing a all-sport

bike, then I might have chose differently.

I know this was not in the range/league/status in which you were speaking, but .02 contributed.

Well, I certainly appreciate the input.

I'm torn now.

Fit is a major concern of course. The helmet I have now shifts, or tries when I hit 70…..NOT GOOD….

I’m reading that the Aria has better ventilation, but the Shoei is a bit quieter, which makes sense.

I’m also seeing that the Aria has a quick change face shield which is nice, but not a major concern as I don’t ride the bike to work. Well, I work from home now.

Graphics, ok, it is nice to have a snazzy helmet, but noise, air flow is more important to me.

Face shield, mirror faces for the Shoei $75, not sure what the Aria is, but I know the smoked was $75.

I’m somewhat leaning on last year’s model of the Shoei now due to it being “brand new”. I’m going to go try it on again down at the shop today to make sure I “really” like it.

Both are in the same class and are top quality. Quantum II is for an oval head. It is all about fit. The Shoei visor system is easier to change than the Arai. The visor also has "steps" or "clicks" in adjusting opened to closed which causes it to stay up and not flip down during high speeds or heavy wind consitions.

The manufactured date should be stamped inside the helmet under the liner. Might want to check when it was made and make sure is hasn't been sitting around for 2-4 years.

I’m also seeing that the Aria has a quick change face shield which is nice...
Who sold you that bill of goods?? A more accurate statement would be:

"All helmets other than Aria have quick change face shields."

Changing an Aria faceshield is an aquired talent. It can be learned, but it costs ALOT of cusswords. In all fairness, I use an Aria Vector and like it quite bit. But changing out the faceshield on that thing is a major PIA.

I used to wear Shoei's then I went to Arai. They were so close in price, I chose Arai over Shoei due to quality, fit, etc.

I now have gone to HJC, not the best or close to an Arai; however, it's easy on my pocket book, and gets the job done well.

As long as the Arai or any helmet fits you properly with no pressure points should be good. I think you'll really like the Arai, although shields, etc, are pricey. If you can afford it, give it a whirl.

I also know first hand that Arai's customer service is great. I've dealt with them a couple times between my three Arai's, 2 Quantum F's, and my last one a Profile.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m also seeing that the Aria has a quick change face shield which is nice...
Who sold you that bill of goods?? A more accurate statement would be:

"All helmets other than Aria have quick change face shields."

Changing an Aria faceshield is an aquired talent. It can be learned, but it costs ALOT of cusswords. In all fairness, I use an Aria Vector and like it quite bit. But changing out the faceshield on that thing is a major PIA.

I disagree. I can change out my shield with the helmet still on my head. Granted it takes a few times to get the hang of it, but once you do it is sooooo easy. Just my 2cents

this is a youtube vid I did of changing the Arai Face Shield... it's really not that difficult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFf4867XGI

Wanted to add though, a used helmet is always a chance. If it's been dropped from like more then 3 or 4 feet, onto something hard like cement (etc), there's a chance the polystyrene will no longer do it's job in the event of a crash. I gotta go with staying away from used helmets.

Echoing what others have said: It's all about the fit. If it doesn't fit, you won't wear it. Visit as many stores as u have to, wear the helmet in the store for at least 20 mins. Sure it's bizarre, but that's about how long it will take for "hot spots" to show up.

Those hot spots are the kind of thing you want to pull the helmet off your head as fast as u possibly can because "it's killing you!!" They really don't show up right away, it takes time.

When u find somehting that fits... buy it.

regards :)

I'm on my 3rd Aria, couple of Quantums, and an RX7. All I can say is they are noisy....and I always wear earplugs.

Well. I pulled the trigger tonight. I ended up with the Shoei tz-r tc-5 erratix. Last year's model for $275.00. Think I could have paid a little too much than buying it over the web. I should have tried it on, and then bought over the web, but oh well.

I like the fit. I like the price. I'm "hoping" it's cool and not too noisy. As for the face plate. I'll get a smoked or mirrored a bit later. They want 40 for the smoked, and 75 for the mirror. I'm going to look around the net a bit before getting one.

DSC05421.jpg

..Granted it takes a few times to get the hang of it, but once you do it is sooooo easy. Just my 2cents...

this is a youtube vid I did of changing the Arai Face Shield... it's really not that difficult
That's kinda what I was getting at when I said "it's an aquired talent". Definately not easy the first ten, twenty times you try it, but once you figure it out, it can be done quickly. Although I would disagree about the easy part. YMMV

And that youtube video is how i finally figured it out.

Save your money and forget the mirrored visor. They look cool but regardless of manufacturer, they all scratch extremely easy. It's the nature of the coatings.

Hopefully you fitted the lid properly for your head shape and size. It's very common for riders to buy a helmet that's too large. Usually that happens because the cheek pads are too tight on the helmet that may have a properly sized crown. Because of this, many step up to the next size where the cheeks aren't so compressed. The best way to fit a helmet is to take the cheek pads out of the helmet then put it on to fit the crown correctly. This is where shape and size is critical. After that is determined, the properly sized cheek pads should be added back in. This is where Arai and Shoei stand apart from many if not most manufacturers. Arai goes a step further in providing several different head shapes in addition to 5 levels of crown liners and cheek pads to get the absolute best fit possible. These are not things that can be determined over the internet. It requires hands on experience for the best fit.

Also, a dropped helmet is not necessarily the end of a helmet. If your head is not in the helmet, the resilient EPS liner only reacts against itself so it does not compress. Put a head in it during an impact and now it has something to react against and it will definitely compress, effectively rendering it unfit for safe use. It's a 'one shot' deal.

I currently own a Shoei RF-1000 FF and am picking up my new Arai Corsair RX-7 tomorrow. Can't wait. They are both great helmets, but I think the Arai fits my head a little better. I also love the look and quality of the Arai's. I also think the Arai moves more air through the helmet, although it is also louder than the RF-1000. I would not go with anything but a FF. The flip tops scare me, I don't want the choice of riding with it open. I work in a trauma center, and I see some bad motorcycle accident victems. It sounds a little morbid, but if I die in a wreck, I want an open casket.

I have both Arai and Shoei helmets. Like the inside material of Arai's better than Shoei

but dislike Arai'sshiels system. Both good choices though :clapping:

I have both Arai and Shoei helmets. Like the inside material of Arai's better than Shoei

but dislike Arai'sshiels system. Both good choices though :clapping:

Agreed, I've had two Arai helmets. By far the most comfortable helmets I've owned. On the other hand I will not own another till they update their shield system. I prefer the Shoei style of shields that ratchet up and quick release changes are a snap. I currently have the HJC FS-15 and I'm not thrilled with the shield system on it either but I got it for such a great price after my Arai shield system broke, and decided no more Arai for me.

I have 3 RF 1000's for the whole family. This model is dis-continued...so you can find a new one on-line for 200-300. TZ-R's are done also....for 200-250. Try on EVERYTHING, to help make a decision, then buy smart (not used).

Shoei's ARE quieter than Arai, and fit my glasses better too!