New helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. Oz

Reaction score
I just purchased my first sports bike - 2010 FJR.

I need a new helmet and I am looking at the modular helmets.

Any suggestions & comments are welcomed.

I am new to the forum so if there is already a thread about this please forgive me for the quesition and please point me to the thread.

Thanks.

Oz

I'm looking at new helmets as well. I'm looking at Shoie and Aria atm. We'll see. I think I'm going to go full face though. I'm not sure I trust the whole modular thing, just MHO.

big bang for the buck is HJC...I like the pull down sun visor

I currently have the HJC IS-Max and like it so much, I purchased one for my pillion daughter Mary Beth (15)

4886283803_5fee551500.jpg

4886283809_8ddbd1670c.jpg

for more $$$...I also would consider the Sy-Max II

Oz, welcome.

I suggest that you go to Google and search something like:

helmets site:fjrforum.com

flipup helmet site:fjrforum.com

shoei site:fjrforum.com

schuberth site:fjrforum.com

You get the idea....it will work for lots of things you might want to investigage....and again welcome. Lots of info here. The natives are entertaining, too.

I just purchased my first sports bike - 2010 FJR.I need a new helmet and I am looking at the modular helmets.

Any suggestions & comments are welcomed.

I am new to the forum so if there is already a thread about this please forgive me for the quesition and please point me to the thread.

Thanks.

Oz
Oz I have the Shoei multitec and love it. I'm old school in my visor area and like to have a dark smoke and clear shield on me at all times. I really don't like the flip down sun glasses thing. Plus Shoei helmets fit my head the best. I have a HJC sy max and it is ok not a bad helmet but it feels cheap compared to the Shoei. As far as protection goes they all should give very good protection even in the chin area according to the research I did.

I don't trust modular helmets period. Others love them etc.

Our own SkooterG's modular helmet failed and opened on impact. The truth be told, he's not sure he totally closed it properly or not, so it's up in the air as to its integrity, but it has him thinking...

I've heard other horror stories online of modular helmets failing and causing some real nice facial injuries.

Good luck.

Have and use a MultiTec. Love the convenience it offers for glasses, or a drink of water and snack while stopped quick...but not sure the extra noise is worth it. Helmets are like windshields...pick the one that best fits YOU and you'll be happier in the long run.

Good luck.

--G

I dumped a Nolan modular for a Shoei FF.

Can't speak for all modulars but "for me" the Shoei FF is quieter, lighter, safer.

In short, I don't miss the modular. Anyone want to buy a black lightly used Nolan XL cheap?

T,

Congrats on your new bike!

A couple of other modulars not mentioned are:

Nolan N103 ( I am using the N102)

Caberg also makes one.

Schuberth C3 is the only way to go, just put 3500 miles on my new C3 and it worked like a charm, very quiet and extremely comfortable.

R

Totaled an '08 while wearing a multitec. Landed in such a way that I did not test the modular function of the Multitec. Loved the multitec, but will NEVER own one again. Currently have ARAI FF.

just my 03C worth.

Gregory

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, the most important advice about helmets is that you've got to go try them on. Hit a few dealers in your area so you can try different makes and models. A helmet that doesn't fit right is miserable. It doesn't matter how many other people like it.

I liked the bang for the buck of the HJC, but it felt like crap on my head the moment I put it on. I wore a Nolan N102 for several years, but the N103 actually left a bruise over my left eye the first time I wore it in a rally.

My own preferences, if it matters: I find modulars so convenient that I really wouldn't consider anything else. I've had the Multitec for the last three seasons and love it. I've been able to wear it 24 straight hours many times without thinking about taking it off. That's comfort. Full disclosure: people I know who have had both the Shoei and Schuberth prefer the latter.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the warm welcome. I have visited 3 shops and have tried a lot of helmets. Need to make a decision.

Thanks again. I have more questions coming. :)