New Tire Or A Plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Bell bicycle foot pump from Wally Mart for $10. Comes in a very tiny little box, has a pressure gauge which measures up to 100 psi and which is quite accurate (checked it against my Michelin digital tire gauge, the foot pump gauge was less than 2 pounds off). I carry the sticky string worm plugs, reamer tool and insertion tool, plus the foot pump in a tiny little bag inside one of the Yamaha case bags. I used the foot pump to pump up a flat rear tire on my FJR last summer and it took about 5 minutes, with minimal effort. For me, anyway, this is far easier than carrying a larger pump, CO2 cartridges, electric pump, etc. etc.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I highly recommend the stripped down air compressor. I have used this many, many times, and it works just great. Simple, and fairly compact.

I used to also carry CO2 cartridges in addition to the compressor, but after fumbling with them once, I no longer bother. The air compressor is just easier to use. Same with the Stop-N-Go plugger kit. After several bad experiences, it no longer has a place on my FJR.

Below shows an example of my stripped down compressor in action on some poor BMW while on a trip in Mexico.

Baja369676x507.jpg

Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story": This was the 4th time filling that tire up as the Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs were not sealing the flat, which by the way had been a simple wood screw. Each repair with the Stop-N-Go mushroom plug would only last about 25 miles. At the time, I nor anyone else on the trip had a sticky string kit. (We tried the BMW repair kit but it was useless) Luckily, the leader of our little foray, and an experienced rider, had a can of fix-o-flat that did the trick and got the BMW the 600 miles back home into the states.

This just in from the Department of Redundancy Department...

After you fixed the tire, with your preferred tire fixing kit, what's your method of getting air back into the tire when you're out stranded in the middle of nowhere?
I have 2 different methods I can use while on the road.

#1 is a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor I picked up from Walmart for about $10. I took aprt the case and extracted the guts so it would pack more tightly in the tail section of my bike wrapped up in a small towel. Since I've added a cigarette lighter plug to my dashboard I plug it in there and fire it up. Takes a few minutes to pump up the rear.

#2 is a backup to that. Part of the tire kit came a CO2 inflator and I carry about 8 cartridges. Haven't had to use them yet.

I suppose I should get a small bicycle hand pump as another backup, but haven't found one I like enough yet.

Actually, I like that bicycle pump idea... I have a small jobbie on the mountain bike that never moves off it's hanger that'll fit nicely in the tank bag... Thanks, Iggy!

Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story":  This was the 4th time filling that tire up as the Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs were not sealing the flat, which by the way had been a simple wood screw.  Each repair with the Stop-N-Go mushroom plug would only last about 25 miles.  At the time, I nor anyone else on the trip had a sticky string kit.  (We tried the BMW repair kit but it was useless)  Luckily, the leader of our little foray, and an experienced rider, had a can of fix-o-flat that did the trick and got the BMW the 600 miles back home into the states.
Any time a plug doesn't seem to be able to stop a leak it is very possible that there is a second leak. Tires may almost "self seal" on a clean puncture but still leak. I pulled a 2 and half inch nail out of a rear tire when my bike was in the garage and it went totally flat in 30 seconds. I noted the position of the hole relative to the stem but didn't mark it. I week later I took the tire to a dealer to get an inside patch and we couldn't find the hole. It took 60 psi and dipping the tire in a tub of watch to find the leak and it wasn't much. I skipped the inside patch and just went for some flat proof. It never leaked again.

During a trip last summer I found I was 8 psi low in the rear tire and then found what looked like the end of a roofer's staple in the tire -- and it was dead center in the tread. I used flat proof because the puncture was so small and then found I had a second puncture about 30mm from the first one -- the other end of the staple. I was glad I didn't try to use a plug because the punctures were too close together.

Can anybody post some links for the "sticky string" and the "gummy worm" type plugs so I can see what they look like? I read through this thread yesterday and, naturally, discovered a screw in my rear tire (OEM B-020, 5500 miles) this morning.

Can anybody post some links for the "sticky string" and the "gummy worm" type plugs so I can see what they look like?  I read through this thread yesterday and, naturally,  discovered a screw in my rear tire (OEM B-020, 5500 miles) this morning.
I bought mine at Wallyworld. They are everywhere. Any auto parts store, or hardware store will have them.

Here is one that is almost identical to the one I got at Wallyworld. You can purchase it online HERE, if you wish.

prod-0044789-zoom.jpg

I read through this thread yesterday and, naturally, discovered a screw in my rear tire (OEM B-020, 5500 miles) this morning.
Well, it's all Penforhire's fault ;) He resurrected this long dead thread a couple of days ago, and since then I too got a nail in my rear tire (again), and Ignacio also.

He better start making up for all the nasty tire karma he is causing.

A new Techmount Stemstand at my door would go a long ways for me, personally.

:D

If I ever see you, you can have one of my sticky strings. Boy, are those hard to separate from the so-called non-stick sheets!

I'm just disappointed in my Stop-n-Go kit.

Quote:  He better start making up for all the nasty tire karma he is causing.
Well I hope he does something fast because today I discovered a screw in the rear tire of my OTHER bike, this one with only 1500 miles on it! Good grief!

He better start making up for all the nasty tire karma he is causing.
A new Techmount Stemstand at my door would go a long ways for me, personally.
Go out on your doorstep RIGHT NOW! I just put your new stemstand there. It's inside a paper bag I accidenttally lit on fire. Quick! Stomp on it, so it doesn't burn up inside. :D

I thought I had the Stop-N-Go, but since I'm down to my last plug and had to order more plugs I remembered the details. It's a Progressive Suspension TRK-2 Kit I bought when I first got the bike.

trk-2.jpg

I liked the TRK-2 kit kit because it had the non-threaded CO2 cartridges I could get at any sporting goods store and the case holds 5 extras,

Now that I've used it several times I really like the plug design. The little green bands in the picture below by the wedge part gets peeled off just before you use it and seems to bond very well with the rubber from the tube.

I'm 2 for 2 on plug jobs. First one was 6,000+ on the plug without a problem and the last plug was 200 miles ago with no problem.

trk-2plugs.jpg

Refill kits of 3 plugs and cement run about $7.

Also found a good link of the stripped down compressor idea including pictures.

chpumpstrip.jpg

...and because of Skooter's incredible sales job I stepped over some dead puppies entering Wal-Mart's and bought their $4 plug kit as a backup. Some children in China get an extra grain of rice for dinner tonight.....

Last edited by a moderator:
- After I read this interesting thread last Friday, I went home and didn’t think twice about it. During the weekend I couldn’t go riding so the bike sat on the stable all weekend. Monday morning as I am backing out of the garage, I felt the bike kinda sluggish, harder to push back than usual, but didn’t pay attention thinking that I hadn’t have enough Cap’n Crunches… Anyhow, I cranked it up, flapped down the face shield and took off… flop, flop, flop, flop…. Dang it!!!! As luck would have it, the rear tire had an industrial size nail! Now I have to sell the bike and get one with good tires. Or… I could go to the nearest pep-boys and get one of those sticky strips thingy.

Why did I read this thread, why??? It jinxed me…

:alien:

And trust me the jinx gods are out there listening. I hadn't had a flat in 24 years on a bike till I started bragging about that fact. Then WHAMO! Three flats in a row. Well, I say f em. :fuck: I don't think I can piss em off much more than they are already.

GP

Got to thinking about this topic (plugged tire vs. new tire). I figure my chances of dying because of a failed sticky string plug are far far less than getting mowed down by some dumb asshat real estate sales person on a cell phone in an SUV. (The last thing I see as my vision fades to black is a yellow sports jacket and a head with a cell phone glued to it...)

Pepperell

Lets see, I just skimmed the posts and it looks like a bunch of Avon’s and only one Michelin?? Am I reading to much into this?

Lets see, I just skimmed the posts and it looks like a bunch of Avon’s and only one Michelin?? Am I reading to much into this?
There are more Avon owners that Michy owners

There are differences in sticky string or worm plug quality.

www.safetyseal.com sells high quality plugs and insertion tools. I bought a few worms from a tire repair shop. They said they don't use glue or rubber cement with them, they are self-vulcanizing.

After having a worm repair start leaking air ~1,500 miles after the repair, I'm going to carry the best quality I can find.

Have used nothing but the basic sticky worm plugs found at Kragen and other auto product shops, BUT ALWAYS with rubber cement, and have NEVER, EVER had a leak in either auto, truck or mc tires. In the last 25 years or so, I figure I've probably repaired at least 30-40 auto and truck tires and 4-5 mc tires with the sticky plugs and never had a leak. I have over 4000 miles now with a plug in the rear Avon on my '04 FJR and I have trouble even finding where the plug was done. I just turned 13,000 miles on the Avons and will be replacing both front and rear shortly. The front and rear wore at just about the same rate. New Avons in the garage ready to go on.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

called 3 local bike shops to repair my rear tire nail in it. all 3 shops said they will not repair a motorcycle tire due to insurance reasons and the safety issue to the rider.
Same for me but finally I convinced the owner of tire shop to plug the tire to get me home, made me promise not to tell anyone. Rode lots of miles with plugged tires with no problem. Always carry a plug kit and small compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.