New vs old

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotlings8

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have owned a 04 and an 09 fjr in the past. I could never seem to get over how they handled. I decided to try a bmw k1600 and loved it. Rode it for 60k miles before it got wrecked. I'm thinking of going back to the fjr bc they are so much cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has had a gen 2 vs a new one with the electronic suspension and if it handles/feels any different than the older ones. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2003 with Ohlins rear and Eibach springs/emulator in the front. That bike handled awesome, better than anything with saddlebags should.

Fast forward 15 years and 271,000 km.

My new 18s suspension is even better and much easier to adjust when switching between back road playing, touring or even two up than my modified 03.

The new one is very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first FJR is an '18E18ES. I'm no road racer but have been riding a lot of years. Blown away with the tuneability (a word?) and ride/handling one up or with the wife. After several hundred miles as a passenger she is over the fear of it sliding out from under us.

Ditto for the saddle bags comment Canadian FJR.

I have had all 3 generations of the FJR. Spent mucho dineros upgrading my 07 with ohlins shock and racetech valving and springs up front. It was the best suspension i have ever had on a bike. Now i have a gen 3 with ES and love that i can adjust and play with it on the fly. I think its the best yet. Now if they would just give us self cancelling turn signals.

I have an '06 and a '16ES and IMHO the ES is worth every penny. The ability to adjust preload quickly and dampening on the fly is very convenient. I set dampening to soft on the interstate and quickly toggle to hard when I hit the good stuff.

scotlings8 posted: Hey guys. I have owned a 04 and an 09 fjr in the past. I could never seem to get over how they handled. I decided to try a bmw k1600 and loved it. Rode it for 60k miles before it got wrecked. I'm thinking of going back to the fjr ......
Hey, scotlings8! You seem to be crashing a lot of motorcycles. Thought about a weekend rider training course on your new FJR?

+1 on the ES. Had an 08 with stock suspenders and did set the suspension for my weight and all. Very nice. ES is just as nice and the ability to change from soft slab riding to twisty STD or HARD is very nice. Was not shopping for a ES model but will be from now on.

I am a new FJR 2007 model owner and have been riding for close to 60 years and have owned numerous bikes over the years including a new BMW 1200KGT, which was a good bike but IMHO overpriced and overhyped. I think the FJ is a better bike overall at a lot less "buy in" price. My only concern is the weight but likely just me having to re adjust to a heavy bike after a great sport bike., (Blackbird). Hope this might be of help.

Having spent a week on at '17 K1600GT, riding in the Alps (if that doesn't wring a bike out, what does? See my YT

t for the gory details )

The executive summary: one of my dumber ideas.

While the 1600 was happy on the autobahns and happy on the small curvy roads, it wasn't very happy with the quick turns, and downright scary in hairpins. Steering wasn't too bad, but the power band left the bike a gutless wonder in the low speed regime, particularly when climbing the steeper grades (up to 14%). Stelvio, in particular, typically goes approach at 10-14%, turn in about 7%, climb out at 10-14%. The tighter radius turns demanded 1st gear and 20 mph or less. The motor simply wouldn't wind up in first. Tight turns on a serious grade at less than 15 mph invokes serious prayer.

I haven't taken my '17 ES on hairpins - can't find 'em near Philadelphia. NTL one thing and another, I've had to poke along first or second on a pitch. I don't know as I'd use my bike to pull stumps, but it has serious grunt at low speeds on the speedo and tach. While I haven't hit autobahn speeds (90+), I have sampled them. The bike is sold, not buzzy, and generally felt at home with these speeds. And then the urge to not get nailed by LEO kicked in. Even at legal to crowding it a bit 70-80, the bike is fine. I won't swear to it, but I think the BMW saddle was more butt friendly. I had days of 150-ish miles, which doesn't sound like much. Except every town means dropping back to around 30 mph. Or getting tagged by radar cameras. Some parts can drop to about 15 mph. Point being even "only" 150 miles meant a lot of time in the saddle.

The FJR won't flick around like a crotch rocket, but does quite well in the twisties. And of course that means good handling/steering. After some time on the bike, I've come back to being able to put the tires where I want when I want. The 1600 seemed to be somewhat opposed to that. To be fair, only a week with the bike isn't enough time to really sort out managing the bike. However, once again the FJR gets the win here.

If braking is needed, it's there in abundance. In fact, it takes a little practice to not over-brake. The brakes are linked. Mostly. Grab the brake lever and the front and rear brakes grab ahold their discs. Step moderately on the brake pedal, and only the back brake grips. Give the pedal a harder push and the back brakes get serious, and two pots push on the pads for some front braking. While I resisted the idea of linked brakes, after ...um... laboring with some folks here, I finally woke up the fact that linking really isn't as evil as some people (me included) think it is. The 1600 brakes have a little better manners about being grabby while the FJR wins on grabbing hold, and doing it with sophistication.

Suspension... the FJR comes in two flavors, the A's suspension can be fiddled with, but not while you're rolling, and the choices are limited. The ES suspension can be changed while rolling. It's almost like the 1600 but... the front end doesn't change, only the back changes. A lot. Go from the "single rider, hard as a rock" setting to "two-up with luggage, super cushy" and the back rises up visibly. The 1600 can deliver "riding on a marshmallow" while the ES' back end is cushy, the front end still feels bumps and tar strips and other smacks. My guess is Yamaha is working to a price point and gave up adjustable forks to stay close to that. While I think the overall suspension works quite nicely, the 1600 gets a win here. But not by much.

The FJR has two throttle settings, which can be changed on the fly. Touring is basically a delay in throttle application. The results are the same, it just takes a little longer to get there, and throttle doesn't jump from setting to setting. Sport is the throttle is direct, no delay, no attempt to round the corners off. I don't care for the place just off or just on idle. There's a snap and lurch there. It's not unique to the FJR. It's happened in every throttle by wire I've ridden. Even the 1600 does it. It also does rain mode. There is no rain mode on the FJR. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to implement, but obviously Yamaha sees it differently, Call this one two thirds tie for both bikes, and one third win for the 1600's rain mode.

The 1600's displays and overall electronic trickery depends on a menu button and the (IMNSHO accursed) "one ring to bind them all". Trying to sort out how to get to options and settings is just flat a PITA. The FJR's less complex. Stepping through the screens is simple and the "push here to change things" makes sense after a week or two. The switch-ology, otherwise, is baffling. That is, yes, the needed buttons for cruise control, etc. are on the clutch side, out of the way of keeping the throttle in place. But what buttons are hidden where is just plain "what were they thinking???" The one switch that's a disappointment is the turn signals - they're not self-canceling unlike the 1600's. Why, through the '18, they're not is a mystery. For layout, I'll concede the 1600 wins, for demanding almost no head down in the cockpit to get almost anything done, the FJR wins big.

The FJR bags are surprisingly roomy. I had a hard time putting my Shoei Air GT even in the top case. Forget it for the panniers. The FJR swallows the helmet nicely. 'Nuff said. There's locking compartment under the clutch. It has a power point in it, but no way to bring a wire out of the compartment. Which may be just as well because the compartment doesn't have a lot of volume. IIRC the 1600 wins on that one. And it wins on one button locking. Can't have everything, I guess.

Ergos... this is a place where size and personal preference take over. In general, the FJR is not a short person's bike if flat-footing is important. IMHO, being on toes only is a dropping waiting to happen. If your inseam is less than 33-34", time to think hard about finding some lowering tricks like a modified saddle. At 6', a 34" inseam, and normal height waist to shoulders, the stock ergos work well. YMMV While the windscreen can be flipped up and down electrically (yea!), the full height leaves air tagging my helmet just above the visor, making things still noisy (boo!). An after-market windscreen extension finishes moving the air stream above my helmet. On a icky hot day, drop the windscreen 100% and stay cool. Works for me. IIRC, the 1600's screen worked well sticking up but dropping it wasn't quite as ...um... chilling. Jumping around a bit, both bikes feel distinctly top heavy. The 1600 motor, tilted over to keep it lower than the FJR helps, but put a full tank of gas in each bike and the difference isn't worth talking about. Which, I think, is why flat footing is worth doing.

Stands... The 1600 hasn't got a chance. The side stand leaves the bike just short of upright. I would have stopped to shoot some scenery, but I didn't trust the side stand when parking on a slight grade. Center stand? Never used it - I much preferred lifting a beer over lifting the 1600. The FJR sides tand isn't bothered by an reasonable parking lot grade. If anything, I think it leaves the bike leaning over more than necessary. I'll take that over the 1600's stumpy thing in a New York minute. The FJR center stand is surprisingly usable. At the moment, I'm coping with a broken thumb. Which gives me a hand an a half. My right hand (with a working thumb) grabs the hoisting handle near the left pannier, my three fingers (straining my index finger is a no-no) grab the clutch side grip. I put the center stand down and rock the bike onto both feet, put my weight on the center stand pedal, and the bike comes right up. I've had lighter bikes that weren't as well balanced for the center stand.

The really good news: Yamaha maintenance, unless the dealer hates everyone and over-charges so that everyone will go away, is far less expensive than Break My Wallet.

1600 or FJR? While the 1600 has some wins, the aggregate FJR is a better package. Unless having the white and blue Bavarian colored roundel is hyper important, the three tuning forks will do quite well, thank you very much.