New windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upnorthdogg

Reaction score
Im sure its been talked about before, but I value your opinions. Im 6'1", 34" inseam. Im getting alot of noise sitting up with the windshield all the way up. Im thinking I need about 4" higher, and 4" wider. Now for the brands. Im not worried about the price they are all pretty close. My choices are in the order that I think look like the better product. Probably someone out there about the same size as me, and could lead me in the right direction.

1. Rifle with angle optimizer.

2. Cee Bailey standard contour.

3. Cee Bailey reverse contour flip.

4. California Scientific or calsci.

5. VStream.

Thanks for any info on this, Barry

I'll also be watching this thread, though I'm 6'4", so would value advice on 4-6" taller windshields as well. I have the 2" taller "Touring" windshield (came with the used bike), but I'll definately be upgrading as cooler weather approaches.

I ride with a Shoei Multitec, though I'm new enough not to have much comparison to other helmets.

(Ironically, I'm also named Barry...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 6'3 and have a Calsci xl on my 08.

With it up 3/4...it's so quiet my wife tells me the phone calls from the scala rider (even with the visor cracked open a bit) are quieter than from my car.

Zero buffeting... almost spooky quiet. I still wear earplugs to kill the high frequency noise....but I'd definitely recommend talking to the Calsci folks.

I'll also be watching this thread, though I'm 6'4", so would value advice on 4-6" taller windshields as well. I have the 2" taller "Touring" windshield (came with the used bike), but I'll definately be upgrading as cooler weather approaches.
I ride with a Shoei Multitec, though I'm new enough not to have much comparison to other helmets.

I too am Barry, and am windshield challenged. It has been 4 days since I have ordered my last shield. If I go 7 days, I think I get some token......really, had a CeeBailey +4+2, disposed of it this past weekend, I have put about 200 miles on a VStream and that will be for sale as soon as the Rifle gets here. Barry's, I have posted so much regarding shields, I'm waiting to have my privileges taken away. The majority seems to sway to the Rifle w/ angle optimizers, or the CalSci. I went for the Rifle due to the scientific angle thingies. Hope 3 is a charm. Getting hard to explain to the S/O, about buffeting and wind noise...... BTW, Rifle's are being manufactured as ordered + 2 weeks wait.......Good Luck, what is the plural of Barry?

I will have a +5 Cal Sci for Gen1 for sale in the couple of days if you are interested sned me a PM

R

I'm 6'3 and have a Calsci xl on my 08.
With it up 3/4...it's so quiet my wife tells me the phone calls from the scala rider (even with the visor cracked open a bit) are quieter than from my car.

Zero buffeting... almost spooky quiet. I still wear earplugs to kill the high frequency noise....but I'd definitely recommend talking to the Calsci folks.
Hey, I have a 08 to, do you have any pics with the windshield, Thanks Mike

I too am Barry, and am windshield challenged. It has been 4 days since I have ordered my last shield. If I go 7 days, I think I get some token......really, had a CeeBailey +4+2, disposed of it this past weekend, I have put about 200 miles on a VStream and that will be for sale as soon as the Rifle gets here. Barry's, I have posted so much regarding shields, I'm waiting to have my privileges taken away. The majority seems to sway to the Rifle w/ angle optimizers, or the CalSci. I went for the Rifle due to the scientific angle thingies. Hope 3 is a charm. Getting hard to explain to the S/O, about buffeting and wind noise...... BTW, Rifle's are being manufactured as ordered + 2 weeks wait.......Good Luck, what is the plural of Barry?
Interested in your Vstream when you get ready to sell

Tall Barry,

I'm 6'4" also. I have the Cee Baily with reverse contour flip. It's +4 tall and +2 wide.

It makes all the difference. I am real happy with it. I have a full-face HJC flip helmet which is loud.

The taller windscreen keeps it quiet. I wouldn't want anything taller. I keep it adjusted low enough that

I look over it...but high enough to keep the windblast just above the helmet.

It does take away from the sporty look of the bike though as it looks way too big. I also think it has a

negative effect on the gas mileage of about 3-6 mpg. With it down I have been up to 145mph on the

speedo so it don't slow you down much and the windscreen held up to the force.

Perhaps the real solution to all of these windshield issues is to change your name from Barry? :rolleyes:

had a CeeBailey +4+2, disposed of it this past weekend,
And I would like to thank you for delivering the cee bailey to me last weekend. I have put on about 100 miles with it so far and it is working pretty good for me. I'm only 5'11 and with the shield all the way down I still get a little breeze. With it all the way up I sit in a perfect pocket of still air. I can finally hear my wife talking clearly thru the scala q2 now :D

Perhaps the real solution to all of these windshield issues is to change your name from Barry? :rolleyes:
Well, my actual given birth name was "Kenneth" (before adoption at five weeks old.) My new parents named me:

Mother: "What a treasure!"

Father: "Right. Let's bury it."

Mother: "Barry? That's a great name!"

So there appears to be no scientifically proven hereditary link between name and windshield requirement. (Though it certainly seems that "Barry" is a more common for tall folks and FJR owners. It's never been one of the most common names.)

BTW, if you've a Barry who's ever visited or live anywhere in the former British Empire, especially New Zealand or Australia, you'll know that your nickname there is "Baz", "Bazzer" or "Bazza." Very common name Down Under. Not sure what the plural of those would be, either.

Great suggestions and feedback on the rest of the posts, though, gentlemen. Thank you.

what a touching story, Baz, only goes to prove men ARE from Mars and women ARE from Venus.

I'm only 5'7", but after trying a CeeB standard +2 +4, I sold it and got a CeeB reverse flip +2 and in the down position I couldnt believe how absoluty quiet and turbulence free it is. The flip is great.

I'm 6'1", 32" inseam, long torso (I'm built like a panda) I have the CalSci XL. The looks are subjective at best and the fit and finish are a little off, but functionally it work quite well. I can dial it in to near calm air when it is about 3/4 of the way up.

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the CalSci XL today. I did the 30' and 60' with the yard stick on the windshield and got my 4 1/2" to 5 1/2" higher shield figured out. I thought Id be ordering the XXL but the guy taking the order explained it all to me. XXL more than what I would need. Great customer service I felt. We talked about Brett Favre for about 10 min. being the guy was originally from WI. Its already shipped too. Ill post how I feel about it once I get a few miles behind it. Thanks again, (you won't forget my name), Barry ;)