Nice Day in the Sierras Friday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfran

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had heard from Old Michael that he was disappointed that there have not been many ride reports on the forum lately, although I just saw a great report from the FODS event. So, Michael here is my first ever ride report. When I had visited Michael, when he was in the hospital after his recent mishap, CelloII (Alan) was also there and we ended up doing lunch when we left the hospital. I found out that he did most of his recreational riding midweek so we scheduled a ride together that we took last Friday. Most of my riding is during the weekdays too but I’m doing mine as a 50 mile roundtrip commute on the straight freeway. So Alan was in charge of setting the course. A few days before the ride I found out I needed to take care of some arrangements for a group camping trip I was coordinating and it would be good if I could go to the campground to work it out. So, I asked Alan if we could work in a stop in Dobbins.

We met in Roseville at 7am and took off on the route Alan had set. When I first saw the route written out I thought, "My goodness what a lot of roads to go on between Roseville and Dobbins when we could do it in about three roads. Two of the three direct roads to Dobbins (Hwy. 49 and Marysville) are not bad motorcycle roads. Well, Alan knew what he was doing when he chose the route. What a beautiful day and a fun ride!

Here is the route we took.

From Roseville we went up I-80 to Auburn, took 49 to Wolf Rd, Lime Kiln, McCourtney, Indian Springs, Pleasant Valley, North San Juan, a short stretch of Hwy49, Moon Shine Rd and Marysville Rd back to Dobbins. We had a little over an hour stop at Lake Francis Resort to take care of camping arrangements then back on the road. From there we took Oregon Hill, to Quincy La Porte Rd (where Old Michael had his mishap) to Quincy for lunch. After lunch we took a little side trip up Bucks Lake Rd (what a nice stretch of road) to the summit and back then started our route toward home. The return route took us on Hwy 89 through Grey Eagle, Gold Lakes Hwy, and Hwy 49 to I-80 and back home. Got home about 6:30 after about 350 mile. What Fun.

Thanks for a great route, Alan.

Gary

First stop along Pleasant Valley Road

1.jpg

Oregon Hill Road

2.jpg

Quincy La Port Road

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

I see why Old Michael likes this road

8.jpg

Heading back down from the summit of Bucks Lake Road

9.jpg

Some creative photography of the Sierra Buttes – Alan’s idea, I don’t have a lot of creativity

10.jpg

11.jpg

And finally, "Can anyone help with potty training?"

12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice job Gary. And if you were able to keep up with Alan all day, you're a better man than I.

(For ya'll who don't know these guys, they are two of the best dudes you'll ever meet.)

But seriously :lol: , hasn't the weather (mild, breezy, clear) been just freakin' perfect these last couple of weeks? How could a fellow NOT get out there and ride?

I see that the last day of summer is this Sunday, the 21st.

And early fall in these parts is a really special experience too - for motorcycle types. (Can you sense the envy? This is killin' me.)

Anyway, ...really glad to see you guys had a good day up there. Watch out for those curves and drop-offs. If you're daydreaming, they'll sneak up and slap you...I've heard.

Good for you, Gary! :clapping: Now that you got the first one accomplished ( and very well, I might add) I look forward to more posts. :rolleyes: We'll have to scare up some more roads and find more twisties.

Yes, it was a fabulous day and I enjoyed it very much. The weather was fantastic, the trees refreshing, the views superb, and the roads and companionship were just what we needed.........FUN!!

Sorry about your FJR's incontinence, :unsure: but I guess that is to be expected if I hardly ever take a break from riding.