No Center Stand - How to change tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
Gang!

I'm looking for ideas on how to pull the wheels on a Honda Nighthawk 750. The bike doesn't have a center stand and my friend (the owner) doesn't want to buy a lift or jacks.

I'm looking for tips and tricks that leverage (pun) common garage tools and equipment.

-Nik

You can use two scissor jacks in lieu of a center stand. It's preferably a two-man job, but it appears you're already roped into this deal anyway. Between the lot of you, there's prolly some scissor jacks in your collective trunks.

Doesn't wanna buy any jacks or anything? Tell him to push it over on it's side.

Liftstick.jpg

Aerostich makes their "Quick Stand" (clicky) which is similar to the above

And here is the home-brew penny-tech solution made from simple PVC:

P8190540e.jpg

Doesn't wanna buy any jacks or anything? Tell him to push it over on it's side.
+1 ^^

I once helped a touring motorcyclist with a flat rear tire on a lonely stretch of highway. Sport-bike without a center stand. Since I was just passing by, I helped him lay some of his 'softer' stuff under the bike and lay it over on its side so he could pull out the rear axle and remove the wheel.

I took him (and the wheel/flat tire) to a truck stop down the road. I was pretty sure I gave him enough info so he could re-assembe it -- apparently so?; when I went back, some 10 hrs later, he was gone.

Anyway, if you lay it over -- it can't fall over.... :D

You can use a rear spool jack stand like they use for tire changes at the races, see for example https://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle-...CFQopIgodcRv0hQ

Or you can rig up some come-alongs or winches at the ceiling of your work area. I have two fastened with eyebolts through the floor in the attic space above, so I can lift a bike w/o centerstand completely off the ground. If its got a centerstand, I'll put it on the lift..

Most shops either use the ceiling winches, or the spool stands.

Lots o options!!!!

Since Friend plans to replace this bike with a center stand equipped unit; I think we'll go with the jacks and/or rafter winch method.

I just need to get a closer look at the Honda 750 Nighthawk to determine attach points.

Thanks all for the input.

-Nikk

Lots o options!!!!
Since Friend plans to replace this bike with a center stand equipped unit; I think we'll go with the jacks and/or rafter winch method.

I just need to get a closer look at the Honda 750 Nighthawk to determine attach points.

Thanks all for the input.

-Nikk
jack stands under the front or rear pegs (the solid part where the peg mounts). if none, cinder blocks work too