No Russell's for me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think somebody not wanting to buy their product would be pertinent to them. Maybe they have a way to make the seat more visually appealing to the OP and they could also talk with him about being able to hang off with their seat. Rick Mayer address those concerns on his website for potential customers.

Call me crazy.

Believe it or not i have seen so many Russells with that craptastic waffle pattern that I thought it was the only way you could get them. The pictures on their website were not that great. Now that i know you can get them in a "not old people furniture" fabric, that's a +1 for them in my book.

I think somebody not wanting to buy their product would be pertinent to them. Maybe they have a way to make the seat more visually appealing to the OP and they could also talk with him about being able to hang off with their seat. Rick Mayer address those concerns on his website for potential customers.
Call me crazy.

i jist bought a Corbin and love the comfort and it looks sporty too.

FWIW, I saw a Steve Rich saddle on a Triumph triple and it looked great and the rider was totally happy with performance and 500+ mile days (what she liked to ride). No info on longer times in the saddle. I sat on a Steve Rich saddle on a Goldwing. It was VERY comfy. The owner said he had no trouble with 1000 mile days, and was very happy. It had smaller "wings" than a Russel. Both were ride-in modifications. What I am told is Steve Rich patterns each modification to the type of riding anticipated and bike style. I am told he has no specific "pattern" or style of modification. YMMV

Johnny80s - You're Crazy!

;)

Now that's out of the way, it should be noted that Russell posting to sell their products is probably not kosher with the forum guidelines. They can be contacted directly to answer questions if someone desires. This venue is far better left to us end users to banter back and forth with our personal experience with products and the unique perspectives we each bring to the discussion.

I have my order in for a Russell Day-Long. I'm awaiting Gen 1 seats coming from CA in trade for my Corbin. I looking to achieve the duplicate of Warchild's seat set up: https://www.day-long.com/seat_pages_11_03/w...ds_fjr1300.html

A friend has a Day-Long "Solo" (he only sent in the front stock seat), but as you can see at: https://gallery.me.com/shafferron#100501

not covering the rear seat looks kind of funky to me. Russell says one can chose to cover the rear seat, with the stock foam. However, it would seem that the rear would sit higher than the front. (See other examples of Day-Long's at:

1. https://www.day-long.com/NewBikePges_9_07/Ymha_FJR.html

2. https://www.day-long.com/SportSeats_12_07/FJR_09.html

3. https://www.day-long.com/seat_pages_11_03/ymha_fjr1300.html

All of the above the rear seat is "significantly" higher than the front.

With Warchild's setup the rear is at the same level as the front. I read somewhere that the rear may have been shaved to the front level. Anyone know the details of Warchild's order with Russell as to what price option was chosen?

Unless you get that ugly ass (but probably very comfy) waffle pattern, I'm not seeing where the problem is here.
I think they call that the "Warchild Special"... :rolleyes:

2004FJR1300ABS_right_qtr.jpg

:p

I think Fred is exactly right... The seat is very subjective.... Here is a picture of my Bill Mayer seat.

You can see that it is wide but that is the reason for a custom seat. I am a big guy and need my weight spread across the width of the saddle. Although not quite as wide as a Russel, it clearly distributes the weight to make the ride more comfortable and to eliminate hot spots.

Misc021.jpg

I have my order in for a Russell Day-Long. I'm awaiting Gen 1 seats coming from CA in trade for my Corbin. I looking to achieve the duplicate of Warchild's seat set up: https://www.day-long.com/seat_pages_11_03/w...ds_fjr1300.html
A friend has a Day-Long "Solo" (he only sent in the front stock seat), but as you can see at: https://gallery.me.com/shafferron#100501

not covering the rear seat looks kind of funky to me. Russell says one can chose to cover the rear seat, with the stock foam. However, it would seem that the rear would sit higher than the front. (See other examples of Day-Long's at:
Ok, first off, it's ok to start a new thread instead of piggybacking on a old thread with sort of a similar topic.

Second - Please learn to trim the excessive quoted info.

Third, you have a Gen I, all of your pics except Warchild's are of Gen II bikes. All Gen II seats are higher in the pillion area. That's how the stock seat is. Dale's seat is just the stock rear re-covered to match the front, the front being a full Day Long custom seat built for him. Prices have changed, call Russell and ask what it will cost for a solo FJR Day Long seat with your desired options and a re-cover of the stock rear seat to match.

I have the same pattern and didn't bother having the passenger seat covered since I ride with a fuel cell in that place.

21jaskk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Yamaha Gel seats for 90% of my riding. I’ll put the Russell Day longs on for any trip over 200 miles, great seats for long days. I like the looks of the russells but don’t like being on my tiptoes at stops, the wings do interfere with planting the feet.

OCfjr,

Thanks for your descriptions of Gen 1 and 2 seats. I sold my OEM Gen 1 seats 4 years ago when I purchased Corbin. Forgot that the rear was not like rear Gen 2.

Looks like I'll just need to Buy a Solo and have same pattern material covering stock rear foam.

I have a day-Long that came with my bike. I really don't like it for everyday use as it makes it hard to put your feet down at lights. I guess it may be good for long distance (dugh) but I'm just not seeing (feeling) it.

I've had very good success with beads. The real problem may be though that I have no idea of the "dimensions" of the guy who bought the seat. Is there a way to find out from Russell? Then maybe I could have it modified for my dimensions.

I did a SS1000 on the stock seat. I squirmed for 700 miles. :angry2:

I was fortunate enough to pick up a russell from a forum member who was close to my

HT & WT. 3 weeks later I did a 100CCC run with over 5000 miles in 5 days. I had the Russell

on the front and stock on the back. Not once did I worry about looks. Its all about COMFORT!

I got home put the stock back on and started planning my next trip with no further seat mods

needed. Maybe the Gen II is different? Just saying...

I did a SS1000 on the stock seat. I squirmed for 700 miles. :angry2: I was fortunate enough to pick up a russell from a forum member who was close to my

HT & WT. 3 weeks later I did a 100CCC run with over 5000 miles in 5 days. I had the Russell

on the front and stock on the back. Not once did I worry about looks. Its all about COMFORT!

I got home put the stock back on and started planning my next trip with no further seat mods

Huh? :unsure: You're saying that you liked the stock seat where you squirmed for 700 miles better? :blink:

I did a SS1000 on the stock seat. I squirmed for 700 miles. :angry2: I was fortunate enough to pick up a russell from a forum member who was close to my

Huh? :unsure: You're saying that you liked the stock seat where you squirmed for 700 miles better? :blink:
No, Saying on long trips comfort is everything. I need the Russell. Under 200 miles, the stock is fine.

He mentioned looks- nothing wrong with switching down for looks (Or wear saving) when riding locally.

Many options with the Fjr. I ride without bags and topcase locally also. I consider the ride, then adjust the

equipment for that ride.

Waaa'll now, the next long ride you are on, when your ass is on fire, that, my friend, is the time to decide what seat you want. Do not make the decision while looking at the bike sitting at the curb. Let's face it, while the FJR is not bad looking, it is not, and was never intended to be eye candy. It is not a cruiser, owned for it's good looks. It is made to go fast for long distances and keep it's rider comfortable while doing it, not sit at the curb dripping chrome and looking good.

Waaa'll now, the next long ride you are on, when your ass is on fire, that, my friend, is the time to decide what seat you want. Do not make the decision while looking at the bike sitting at the curb. Let's face it, while the FJR is not bad looking, it is not, and was never intended to be eye candy. It is not a cruiser, owned for it's good looks. It is made to go fast for long distances and keep it's rider comfortable while doing it, not sit at the curb dripping chrome and looking good.
I vote that you stay with the OEM seat. It looks just fine and the other seat manufacturers simply match the OEM looks. That seems like a waste of money to me. Stay with the OEM, spend the saved money on suspension parts.

[SIZE=8pt]I, on the other hand, will continue to enjoy my "day long" as I have for the last 70k+ miles.[/SIZE]

Traded my Corbin for Gen 1 seats and have sent them off to have same setup as is on Warchild's bike--Russell Day-Long S3 Solo---Custom on rider seat and same fabric on stock rear, retaining stock foam. ( Seldom ride with passenger.)

OCfjr,
Thanks for your descriptions of Gen 1 and 2 seats. I sold my OEM Gen 1 seats 4 years ago when I purchased Corbin. Forgot that the rear was not like rear Gen 2.

Looks like I'll just need to Buy a Solo and have same pattern material covering stock rear foam.

Received Russell Day-Long S3 Solo recently. Paradoxical first 200 mile impressions. Seat is both "firm and soft" Firm like Corbin but not hard like Corbin. The "wings" disperse the body weight thus alleviating the bunched up feel at the tip of the spine. Kind of like riding on a cloud. Stock seat much to soft and puts pressure in small area resulting in burning uncomfortable feel after an hour or so. I must say that I rode Concours with Corbin 1988-2000 with no problems with "hardness". My riding buddy from Seattle area has 2 piece Corbin on his 06 Feejer, but that seat is much softer than the Dual Canton Corbin I had.

See Images of new Day-Long and "old" Corbin at: https://gallery.me.com/shafferron/100501

Traded my Corbin for Gen 1 seats and have sent them off to have same setup as is on Warchild's bike--Russell Day-Long S3 Solo---Custom on rider seat and same fabric on stock rear, retaining stock foam. ( Seldom ride with passenger.)

OCfjr,

I had the solo Russel done as well (Yes I did the Clearly superior Waffle pattern :) ) and initially it was a let down, Slid me too far forward into the tank, but after about 400 miles of "break in time" it transformed into pure butt bliss :)

The largest day I've done on it was 920, and at the end of the day my butt was fine (Of course my wrist was killing me., gotta do something about that throttle spring.. :) )

Love the russel!!!