North to Alaska 2019 - Once there were Twenty now there are SIX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in this trip should procure the following book: "The Adventurous Motorcylist Guide to Alaska" $4.99 Amazon

And Phil Freeman, co-author, will be at Alaska Leather in Anchorage, 20 Jan at 1800 hrs for a showing of the film The Road to Cotahuasi. Just in case youre in the area.

Time for a bump. I have had preliminary discussions regarding vacation with the boss man. So far, looking good.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for me to start booking next years vacation days. Is it fair to assume last week of May and meet everyone out West first week of June?

This will give me the July 1st weekend for the return trip.

Canadian FJR

I'm serious consider going. Anybody coming out from Western North Carolina area like to tag together to Spearfish, SD? Coming back I may stop over in Sacramento, CA to visit my Mom for my once per year visit.

For planning purposes Rendezvous in Eureka MT on Friday May 31,2019. Cross border into Canada on Sunday June 1st.

I'm planning on leaving Spearfish Thursday May 30th.

So looking at the Google Map, a year in advance this is what I see.

May 30th - Spearfish to Helena MT 8 h 36 min (529 miles)

I

May 31 Helena MT to Eureka MT 5h15m 295 miles

June 1 - Eureka MT to Radium Hot Springs BC 3 hours(150 miles) Intentional short day to allow for late arrivals, repairs, maintenance etc.

June 2 - Radium Hot Springs to Grand Cache AB 6h 54 min (354 Miles) allows for a few hours of sightseeing at Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway etc.

June 3 - Grand Cache AB to Fort Nelson BC (gain one hour) 8h 17 min (478 miles)

June 4 - Forty Nelson BC to Watson Lake YT Stopping at Liard River Hot Springs for a soak 6h 50 min (319 miles)

June 5 - Watson Lake to Whitehorse YT Short day to allow for Sight Seeing in Whitehorse 5h 11 min (272 Miles)

June 6 - Day Off in Whitehorse or a real short day to Tok AK

June 7 - Whitehorse to Fairbanks Long Day 10h 32 Min (588 Miles) Dual Sport or Brave FJR Folks might consider alternate Route from Whitehorse to Dawson City, (330 Miles all paved) then to Tok via Top of the World Highway and Chicken AK 185 Miles almost all gravel

I'd recommend an overnight in Dawson City if you choose this route.

I'd ride my FJR over the TOTW on street tires if it was dry, not if it was raining or had been raining the day before.

June 8 - Fairbanks to Denali National Park

June 9 - at Denali https://www.princess...hna-experience/ This is but an example - do some googling

June 10 - Denali to Anchorage 4h 15 min (250 miles)

June 11 - Anchorage to Homer 4h 15 min (221 Miles) lots of scenery along the way

June 12 - Homer to Valdez via Ferry from Whittier to Valdez 3h 15 min 188 miles Homer to Whittier

(Ferry Runs from Whittier to Valdez Monday Wednesday and Friday in 2017 leaving Whittier at 1330 - 1:30 PM)

June 13 - Valdez to Haines Junction YT 10 h ) min (544 Miles) a Long day, but aside from Destruction Bay, not many other good places to stop.

June 14 - Haines Junction, YT to Haines AK 3h 0 min (150 of the most beautiful and spectacular miles you will ever ride in your life)

Then you have to decide if you want to take the Ferry to Skagway that night or stay in Haines for the evening?

The last Ferry to Skagway runs at about 1800 (6:30 pm) this year on week days, only runs once or twice on Weekends. Haines is a quiet peaceful town, Skagway is Cruise Ship Central!

I'm planning on staying in Haines at the https://www.hotelhalsingland.com/ The place is fantastic and the Dining Room was unbelievably good.

There are a few dive bars in town and one can walk or crawl back to one's room. I'll take the first ferry in the morning. JSNS

June 15 - Haines to Watson Lake or Junction 37 (the start of the Cassiar Highway) 8h 15 min (339 Miles) to Watson Lake Junction 37 is about 20 miles less but is more expensive and has fewer options. Watson Lake is the home of the Signpost Forrest has many Motels and Restaurants

June 16 - Watson Lake to Hyder AK. 9h 45 min (410 miles) Probably stay in Stewart BC at King Edward Hotel.

June 17 - Morning in Hyder looking at the Grizzly Bears and Glaciers - Then onto Vanderhoof BC. 7h 45 min 375 miles

June 18 - Vanderhoof BC to Kelowna BC 8h 30 min 480 miles

June 19 - Day off the Bike or optional Day Ride to Nakusp, Revelstoke, Vernon and back to Kelowna 8h 00min (339 Miles)

June 20 - Kelowna to Missoula MT 9h 15 min (500 miles)

June 21 - Missoula to Spearfish 9h 13 min (621 Miles) It won't take me this long! Optional Stop in Helena at the Outpost for BBQ, Irish Whiskey, lies etc...

Wondering who is still "In" for this trip. About time to make some block room reservations along the way. I need an idea of how many rooms to ask for. Please post below and PM if you are truly interested and "likely" to go. Not a commitment, that involves $$, but a real interest and likelihood of making the trip!

Just stumbling upon this after my recent trip to Hyder. Why so early? Is it better to go early? I wonder about crappy weather. And no bears in Hyder until the Salmon arrive later in the summer.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SkooterG" data-cid="1400432" data-time="1530920278"><p>

Just stumbling upon this after my recent trip to Hyder. Why so early? Is it better to go early? I wonder about crappy weather. And no bears in Hyder until the Salmon arrive later in the summer.</p></blockquote>

Early June typically driest month and fewest bugs, longest days etc. Plus I'm planning on going to Europe to ride in mid July. When we ride we ride!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SkooterG" data-cid="1400432" data-time="1530920278"><p>Just stumbling upon this after my recent trip to Hyder. Why so early? Is it better to go early? I wonder about crappy weather. And no bears in Hyder until the Salmon arrive later in the summer.</p></blockquote>

Early June typically driest month and fewest bugs, longest days etc. Plus I'm planning on going to Europe to ride in mid July. When we ride we ride!

I want your life.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SkooterG" data-cid="1400432" data-time="1530920278"><p>Just stumbling upon this after my recent trip to Hyder. Why so early? Is it better to go early? I wonder about crappy weather. And no bears in Hyder until the Salmon arrive later in the summer.</p></blockquote>

I want your life.
No you don't. His dogs have no balls...
weirdsmiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts