North to Alaska 2019 - Once there were Twenty now there are SIX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE| plan B Lon Vancouver Island. You may want to consider going Sidney, BC to Anacortes, Wa ferry instead. Prettier scenery and a lot calmer. Vic to PA you have to tie your handlebars to the wall of the ferry.

Also, consider staying in Cowichan Bay at the Wessex Inn for a night. Should be cheaper rates, secure parking. Quaint little spot for a nice relaxing seaside stop

Last summer Tyler and I went whale watching out of there and had an amazing evening.

RE| plan B Lon Vancouver Island. You may want to consider going Sidney, BC to Anacortes, Wa ferry instead. Prettier scenery and a lot calmer. Vic to PA you have to tie your handlebars to the wall of the ferry. Also, consider staying in Cowichan Bay at the Wessex Inn for a night. Should be cheaper rates, secure parking. Quaint little spot for a nice relaxing seaside stop

Last summer Tyler and I went whale watching out of there and had an amazing evening.
Barb, Thanks so much for your valuable input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some food for thought

July 1 is Canadian holiday, book your accomodation early! You may want to check on whats open and and holiday hours on route for that day also.

-Steve

RE| plan B Lon Vancouver Island. You may want to consider going Sidney, BC to Anacortes, Wa ferry instead. Prettier scenery and a lot calmer. Vic to PA you have to tie your handlebars to the wall of the ferry.Also, consider staying in Cowichan Bay at the Wessex Inn for a night. Should be cheaper rates, secure parking. Quaint little spot for a nice relaxing seaside stop

Barb, Thanks so much for your valuable input.
That's what we did after Nakusp. Sidney is a nice quiet town with the Ferry right there. Loved the ride between the islands to Anacortes plus we did see a pod of Orcas ....have your binoculars handy.

Some food for thoughtJuly 1 is Canadian holiday, book your accomodation early! You may want to check on whats open and and holiday hours on route for that day also.

-Steve
Noted, Thanks Steve
" July 1, 2019 - Watson Lake to Hyder AK. 9h 45 min (410 miles) Probably stay in Stewart BC at King Edward Hotel. "

Some food for thoughtJuly 1 is Canadian holiday, book your accomodation early! You may want to check on whats open and and holiday hours on route for that day also.

-Steve
Noted, Thanks Steve
" July 1, 2019 - Watson Lake to Hyder AK. 9h 45 min (410 miles) Probably stay in Stewart BC at King Edward Hotel. "
DSCN3889.jpg

Ahh yes, the King Eddie.

" July 1, 2019 - Watson Lake to Hyder AK. 9h 45 min (410 miles) Probably stay in Stewart BC at King Edward Hotel. Get Hyderized, walk back"

Fixed it for you. . . . .

-Steve

Long walk for a drunk guy.

Our place of choice when in Hyder is the Grandview Inn, an easy stumble from the Glacier Inn. Came back to our room one afternoon to find a bear sitting on the porch in front of our room.

It is time to "Fish or Cut Bait"

I was getting concerned about room availability in Dawson City YT for Dust to Dawson' the Tripple J - Ride HQ and the Downtown Hotel were both full.

I wanted to obtain rooms in Dawson City proper so you could crawl home from the festivities if needed.

I have arranged for a block of rooms under the Group title North to Alaska. at the El Dorado Hotel
eldorado-hotel.jpg

The following is the email I received from the booking agent at the hotel.

I recommend that you act quickly to arrange your room shares and book your rooms!

"Further to our telephone conversation earlier today, we are pleased to confirm that we have put aside nine standard rooms in our annex arriving June 19, 2019, for three nights. Each air-conditioned rooms has 2 double size beds
2-doubles-ac.jpg
and the discounted rate based on single occupancy is $124.00 per room, per night plus GST and double occupancy is $134.00 per room, per night, plus GST. (Prices quoted in Canadian $$ which are about $.75 U.S. today.)

We will hold this block until January 01, 2019 at which time we will release any unsold rooms.

Please let guests know upon booking to ask for the ”North to Alaska” rate and that we require a credit card number and expiry date at the time of booking in order to confirm reservations.

For those traveling with children 12 and under, there is no charge provided they stay in the same room as a registered parent/guardian.

Our reservations department can be reached by calling 1-800-764-3536(in Northern BC & the Yukon) or 867-993-5451,

or they can reserve through our website but they need to ask for the “North to Alaska” rate in the comments area of the reservation page.

Please note that our website is www.eldoradohotel.ca

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Karen or me.

Kindest regards,
Kerry Hastings"

There are also rooms available across the Klondike river about a mile and a half outside town at the Bonanza Motel and Campground, https://bonanzagold.ca/. Don't know about the rooms but they were full during D2D in 2017.

CAMPING - https://www.google.com/search?q=camping%20dawson%20city%20YT&oq=canmping+dawson+city+YT&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.10567j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=64057109,-139422460,1878&tbm=lcl&rldimm=9400037142330667503&ved=2ahUKEwjqktm_lcbeAhVi7oMKHQvQBggQvS4wAXoECAMQLQ&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1#rlfi=hd:;si:9400037142330667503;mv:!3m12!1m3!1d17163.669665590096!2d-139.2756471!3d64.05691809999999!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i533!2i118!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1
The Goldrush is the closest Campground but it is really an RV campground with small dusty spaces packed in "Nuts to Butts". It was full when i was there in 2017.

My friends camped at the Bonanza during D2D 2017 and had no trouble getting camping spaces, we camped at the Bonanza on our way back down from the Dempster Highway. In fact, other riders invited us to share their space and I don't believe we even paid.
The Motorcycle/Tent Camping spaces are way in the back and pretty close to a shower house/restroom. The sites were kind of rocky.

There is an inexpensive Canadian Territorial Campground across the Yukon River which requires a free 24/7 10 minute ferry ride too and from to get to town.

There is also a Hostel on the Western (other side) of the Yukon River.

Ive got several friends up there. So far no one reports injury or real serious property damage. Not all have come on line so there may be some with serious damage.

8 or 9 committed riders at this point. I still have a few rooms in Dawson City if anyone is interested, PM me.

Looking at adding a few days to the after Dawson City schedule.

Will update first post with revised dates as soon as they firm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.