Not really a surge, but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas transit

Reaction score
OK. took the bike back to the dealer and dropped it off on monday for it's first free service. They were decent about it and said if I wanted to wait they would get it back to me in about two hrs. But I live 55 miles from the dealer and I had to leave later that day for the mexican border, told them no hurry I be back by the end of the week. Picked it up this morning, everthing seems about the same as when I dropped it off, after getting home it"s right at 1000 miles. Couple of questions. 1st does anyone else here ride without a helmet sometimes and if you do, do you hear your saddlebags rattle, not terrible just noticable. 2nd I've read most of the articles about surging an altitude problems with 07, But that doesn't seem to describe mine. It seems that if you ride it enough to get it good and warm, then shut it off for a short period of time It exhibits what I would call a hot soak problem. It kind of bumbles and stumbles until you get it going. We are at about 2000 ft. 3rd the bike seems very picky about what type of gas you run in it. 10 percent ethanol is a no-no, bike runs rough and seems to get worse fuel mileage. Straight 87 runs ok but exhibits the above symptoms. 91 octane although I know the bike doesn't call for it seems to reduce the hot soak issue. Problem is I have to go 55 miles to get it. And just a couple of observations. I love the bike, but I'm already wishing maybe it had a bit more motor. Also although I like the idea of limited matinance, I find the drivetrain very clunky, I'm hoping that as I rack up the miles it will smooth out. As much as I love this bike I find myself missing my old fj1100. Maybe after all these years I have remembered only the good things about fj and have forgotten anything bad. But to a degree I miss the simplicty of the aircooled chain drive 1100 also to anyone out there that has both bikes does the fjr feel a little more top heavy? I'm not dissappointed in the fjr but maybe with all the technology available and 23 years later maybe I expected a little more. Am I just off my rocker here but does anyone else feel the same. Thanks in advance. I really am glad to be a small part of this forum you guys are the best.

The only comment I have is about the saddlebag rattle. The horribly obvious answer... put on a helmet...problem solved. Actually, you may solve 2 problems by wearing a helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have just under 8000 mi on my 06 . I've been useing 87oc with 10% ethanol since new in temps ranging from 20 to 95dg and it runs great. I will say that after a 1000mi the bike just keeps getting smoother and smoother...Just ride it and use 87oc

Have just under 8000 mi on my 06 . I've been useing 87oc with 10% ethanol since new in temps ranging from 20 to 95dg and it runs great. I will say that after a 1000mi the bike just keeps getting smoother and smoother...Just ride it and use 87oc
Thanks flhx for the reply

Latest posts