Nova Scotia Road Trip July 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a fair number of Shell stations up in CA, your US credit card will work, but they will ask you to come to the counter to verify the card with ID. Otherwise they're generally Canadian brands, so bring your Visa or MasterCard.

Camping:

The loop road at the top of Cape Breton Island, going through Cape Breton park (pray for no rain, it's a beautiful beautiful park). Ingolnush & Chettycamp are towns on the loop road, one's Frenchie & one's Scots, both great towns for fiddle music (Nat McMaster is from up there). No kidding, just South of Ingolnush, in the middle of nowhere, is a wonderful pastry shop where I got the best Blueberry Scone I have ever tasted. That sort of thing has just seems to happen up there...

Campsites seem to be all over. State parks run nice campsites. In general, Canadian campsites are quiet, they must have sent all the noisemakers down South.

Ever had scallops for breakfast? I did, in Digby NS. They have pretty good scallops & know how to cook them.

Other sights:

Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck CBI shows how Bell was so much more than just the telephone.

Boats, sailing, fishing, maritime history, & a great maritime museum in Lunenberg NS, just below Halifax on the lower East coast.

Halifax is a nice city to spend a few days in. Lots of good used book stores (John W. Doull's is a classic used book store you will never forget. They also ship anywhere.)

Other items:

Most of the medium to large towns run visitor centers to help tourists find camping, lodging, etc. Just follow the arrow signs that says 'Visitors'. Always very helpful.

East & West coast big highways are usually one lane each direction, but don't worry, they'll give you a passing lane every 4-8 miles to pass the slow pokes.

You have to make sure you get gas before 4:00PM if you are going to be riding through small towns. Small towns, if they have a gas station, have only one and they don't stay open late like here in the states ( you can guess how I know).

NS & PEI & CBI are wonderful places to visit, you won't be disappointed !

Here is the finalized plan for our trip.

NSFinalizedRoute.jpg

We already have camping sites reserved and a few locations to see; nevertheless, anything you think we should consider along this route?

Anybody gonna be around those locations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova Scotia is awesome. Did mostly the same route as you show and had a great ride. When you're in Digby area and if you have a little time, head out Digby Neck as far as you can go. There's a ferry there to go across Petite Passage. At that point look to the left. don't get on the ferry. theres a snack bar/souvinear (how the hell do you spell that?) shop there that serves up the best scallop roll I've ever had. Great ride too to get out there.

The whole place is sweet. Enjoy

If you do watch the YouTube video, keep in mind that we went there in the end of May and the first week and a half in June. Two of the camp grounds we stopped at just opened that day or the day before. If you do plan to campout, be sure to stop at the Sea Breeze campground in Canso. Our campsite was right on the ocean with almost a 180 degree view. The sunset was spectacular. Another stop I would suggest is about half way around the Cabot Trail is a walking trail called Skyline Trail. It takes close to an hour to walk to the end but you will find where heaven meets the earth.
I guess I could go on and on. :rolleyes:

Jim
I was born and raised in Cape Breton and all my family are still there. Here are some places to check out.

1, Baddeck this a nice little town and has Alexander Graham Bell museum.

2. The Gaelic College. this just up the highway from Baddeck

3. Fortrss of Louisbourge

4. The Cabot trail and a real nice place to stay there is the Keltic Lodge.

5. Glenora Distillery. Home of the only single malt distillery in North America

I wish I was going.

JT

3 more days till we head out. Becoming eager and ready to leave now.

So far two are are confirmed, a third should have his passport in the next couple of days. However one of our original planners may be unable to attend due to not receiving his Passport in time.

Looking forward to meeting a few FJRian in Canada next week.

We just came back from N.S. We did 3000 miles in 8 days. Yes it rained every day :sadsmiley02: The food was great, the people, even better! :D Be prepared to spend some money, gas was over $1.00 a liter, almost 4$ a gallon. If your taking the senic routes, start looking for gas at 2 bars. If you have the time, you owe it to yourself to check out Prince Edward Island, the soil is red and the roads are pink. We bridged in and ferried out, totally worth it. Cape Bretton and the Cabot Trail was awesome. Every day was an adventure, and YES I would absolutely do it again :fans:

However one of our original planners may be unable to attend due to not receiving applying for his Passport in time.
Third has confirmed. His passport arrived yesterday.

Alldawg, which 2 bars also serve gas, and is the beer any good?

Don't think we will have time to check out PEI. We will need to save that for another trip.

Thanks for all the advice guys 'n' gals, this is going to be a fun trip.

4th also confirmed...tentatively.

Said Passport will be overnited Wednesday. Just needs to get that and his Canadian insurance card and he's good to go.

Not sure if you have left yet but when you are passing through the Moncton NB area in case you need anything send me an email and I'll give you my cell#.

Wish I had of timed my trip better to the Cabot Trail as I would have joined you.

I have camped on the South Shore of NS every year for the last five years. I have never heard of Murphy's Camping but just outside of Lunninberg is a campsite called The Ovens. It is a beautiful campground, you sleep listening to the surf all night. It is owned by Harry Chapin's family.

John

I just noticed n your map that you are missing Peggy's Cove and Lunninberg. Personally I think they are both must sees. In Lunninberg there is a small diner called Magnolias. They are known for their food. It doesn't look like much but we never go anywhere near the south coast without a diversion to Magnolias. I love their fish cakes and my wife always gets the scallops.

John

Not sure if you have left yet but when you are passing through the Moncton NB area in case you need anything send me an email and I'll give you my cell#.Wish I had of timed my trip better to the Cabot Trail as I would have joined you.

I have camped on the South Shore of NS every year for the last five years. I have never heard of Murphy's Camping but just outside of Lunninberg is a campsite called The Ovens. It is a beautiful campground, you sleep listening to the surf all night. It is owned by Harry Chapin's family.

John

Spoke with Sport this evening and all is well. They are bunking down at a camp ground in the western part of Nova Scotia. They are heading back towards Parrsboro (Spenser's Island) tomorrow evening. Gypsy and I may take a run out and meet them there. This just happens to be one of the best roads in the province so what else could a fella do? :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

The four of us are home safe, sound and without incident.

There were several diversions due to time constraints, but fun was had everywhere we went.

In short, 8 days, 3,200 miles, 5 campsites, and three good friends together in Nova Scotia...need I say more?

Scott,

It was a pleasure meeting you @ Spensor's Island. If ever a warm shower and comfortable bed are needed in York PA...

Pics to follow after a few things are tidied-up here at the homestead.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Been a while - looking forward to getting together for some riding and hearing about the trip.

Enjoyed this thread immensely, as I am heading to Nova Scotia in September from home in Oklahoma. Entering Ontario from Nigara Falls, and riding up thru Montreal and New Brunswick. Will be riding the Cat back to Maine before doing the eastern seaboard down to D.C. Then over to Shenandoah N.P., and down the Blue Ridge Parkway to attend EOM in Johnson City. If any of y'all want to join me on any part of this journey, let me know. Phil