NYD Two Peaks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
As advertised on the California forum, we started the new year off right by visiting Mt. Hamilton and Mt. Diablo. The "group" consisted of myself, forum member Apratt, and our friend Alex C. We know each other from the Cal 24 rally, and spent much of our down time telling old stories about our various exploits over the years while being tortured by Cal24Master.

Side note: I was late getting out the door, and then as I pulled my FJR to the front of the driveway I noticed it was handling very oddly. Close inspection fast revealed that the rear tire was flat. Damn! I thought it had been feeling a little funny on my birthday ride with James Burleigh a couple weeks ago. Since I was already late to the group ride that I was hosting, it was quicker to push the Feejer back into the barn and bust out the Gold Wing. That's why I didn't attend an FJR Forum group ride on an FJR.

The day was sunny and warm-ish. Not cold, anyway. We weren't the only ones with the same idea, as the Mt Hamilton road was fully populated with bicyclists and Porsche Club drivers. We passed 'em all, of course. At the top I took a few pics, but Alex took more. If you are his Facebook friend I suggest going over to his page to see 'em. Oh yeah you can link to them from my page too, I think, cuz I shared 'em. Not sure how FB works entirely, but give it a try.

Here are my measly three photos:

P1011599-L.jpg

P1011600-L.jpg

P1011601-L.jpg

On the way down towards the Junction and Mines Road we came upon a tow truck that was hoisting a Porsche from a very steep hillside. I don't understand how this car ran off the road, but it did and it eventually took two towtrucks to get the thing back up. We didn't stick around for the denouement, but Allan took a few shots. Maybe he'll post 'em.

Lunch @ Livermore In-N-Out. Phone call to JB to see if we could entice him to meet us at Diablo. No such luck, the poor guy was trapped with his family instead of out riding a motorcycle. Sucker! :)

More traffic on the ride up to the top of Diablo, but then a very pleasant visit, just hanging around looking at the views and telling more lies. No Iron Butt ride, this. The way down the north side was really great except that it took awhile to get around the slow cars in front of us. Sunset on Mt. Diablo is a very nice time of day.

We all enjoyed the ride and said, "Same time next year."

Love the view from Mt. Hamilton, but have they fixed 130 westbound into San Jose yet? Geez.... had to schedule an appt. with my dentist after taking that road! Hopefully you got to take Mines Rd. North to Mt. Diablo, great riding that direction. Thanks for sharing the pics, but be careful, you're getting dangerously close to the maximum male spandex quotient allowed on ride reports. :rolleyes:

Love the view from Mt. Hamilton, but have they fixed 130 westbound into San Jose yet? Geez.... had to schedule an appt. with my dentist after taking that road! Hopefully you got to take Mines Rd. North to Mt. Diablo, great riding that direction. Thanks for sharing the pics, but be careful, you're getting dangerously close to the maximum male spandex quotient allowed on ride reports. :rolleyes:
130 is nicely repaved until near the top. Then it reverts back to the goat trail.

Here are some videos to give you an idea of the fun that you all missed!!