Ode to Destination Highways

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Destination Highway motorcycle books. The author's Brian Bosworth and Michael Sanders have penned three excellent book covering Southern British Columbia, Washington and Northern California. The books have detailed ratings for the best motorcycle roads and include other good road near the rated roads. The books have interesting and detailed descriptions of the roads providing feeling for the character of the road. No wasting time asking your buddies where to go and what it is like.

The BC book was published in 2000, the Washington book 2003 and the Northern California book in 2007. Sometime along the way they created a companion map for each book.

Take my word these books and maps are great. I have based an entire vacation on just riding the rated roads in Northern California - it was memorable. These books are far better than Butler Maps.

Unfortunately Sander and Bosworth have not published a new book since 2007 despite promising a book of Southern California for years. Instead they have published "apps" for the same geography covered by the existing books. Each holiday they send emails to promote specials and repackage existing products and once again promise a Southern California book. It gets old after a while. So after the Mother's Day promotion email I wrote a comment on their Facebook site:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that Destination Hwy Southern CA soon would be there.

The motorcyclists were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of twisty roads danced in their heads.
And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap.

Then from my computer there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the office I flew like a flash,
Opening my email to see Bosworth and Sanders proclaim
Destination Highway Southern Cal will be here available this year, yet again.

We have waited patiently for years and years
And on my screen was another holiday proclamation
Falling on deaf ears.

We whistled, and shouted, and gave them jeers.

We are tired of vaporware, app crap and no new books
Give us something to credible to hang our hat on you mooks!

Do and do it soon because
Butler Maps make for a bad afternoon.

"Now on Bosworth! and Sanders what do you need
Or do you enjoy watching us bleed?

With my heart broke by more promises again
I remove the bad news email
The empty promises
Drive me insane.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
Will Bosworth and Sander ever overcome the lack of a new book
And meet customer demand after dangling promises like fish on a hook.

It seems more likely I will see
St Nicholas tending my Christmas tree
All dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
He will exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Bosworth and Sander will come through in 20xx, and to all a good-night!"

Its funny you post this; as I got the same email and my 1st reaction is WHERE is So Cal?

I wanted to send them an email (you did one much better), and tell them they will get nothing until I see a SoCal book.

I did not realize its been since 07!!!!

Great stuff, Im not a FB guy, but would love to hear any reaction you get. I doubt they will comment.

Great books for sure, but Im ready for SoCal!!

. . . and once again promise a Southern California book. It gets old after a while.
What?? You believed a promise from a lawyer (Michael Sanders)?
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny you post this; as I got the same email and my 1st reaction is WHERE is So Cal?I wanted to send them an email (you did one much better), and tell them they will get nothing until I see a SoCal book.

I did not realize its been since 07!!!!

Great stuff, Im not a FB guy, but would love to hear any reaction you get. I doubt they will comment.

Great books for sure, but Im ready for SoCal!!
Sanders and Bosworth have a good sense of humor. This is not the first time I have poked fun the lack of a new book. Once I wrote them an email and they responded with route suggestions.

They like my criticism of Butler Maps and it is true. Last year I road in Southern Cali and the Butler Map led me down a road that was just so so.

Regarding the recent Facebook post it got only one like ......get ready for this, here it comes..... the like was from Destination Highway!

. . . and once again promise a Southern California book. It gets old after a while.
What?? You believed a promise from a lawyer (Michael Sanders)?
wink.png
Yeah a lawyer while Bosworth owns/owned a video store. I bet that store isn't around anymore. Like most I bet the lack a book is due to a lack of cash. To darn bad - they did a good job pointing cyclists to all the good roads.