OEM Windshield Modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Cal Sci +2" windshield. I was immediately impressed by how much less buffeting there is due to the 2 holes cut into the windshield that help pressurize the back side of the windshield. The new shield is both taller and wider than stock, so will be great for the colder months, but it got me thinking about the dog days of summer.

I'm considering cutting 2 similar holes in the smaller OEM windshield to gain the benefit of the pressurization, but with a smaller overall screen size so that more airflow gets to me overall.

I'm curious if anyone has tried that with their OEM windshield and what their results were. Any gotchas?

No not really,

It was discussed pretty extensively not too long ago, it was decided it would do good on a Gen1 but not much difference on a Gen2.

I forget who was doing the testing, and I sure as heck don't want to be the one to say do a search, but if nobody else replies that may be the way to go.

Check Haulin' Ashe's posts...IIRC, he posted some pictures abt how to cut the Cal-Sci holes in an OEM windshield. I've cut them in mine and use it for summer riding.

Cool, thanks.

Any trick to cutting them aside from taping around the area to protect the plexi? Did you just use a jig saw or something else? I'll check for Haulin's posts.